Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #31
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by R12GS HOOLIGAN
You forgot "or when you stall on the freeway when your fuel gage/strip sensor craps out".
Hey, thanks!

Check my edited list.

Ride safe,

John
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #32
Ron Seida
Adventman

Oddometer: 1,245
Reading all these rants makes me feel soooo much better about selling my over-problematic 2005 model and buying a '94
In 60k Km it had 3 contaminated clutches, replaced 4 rear seals, 2 stick coils and an ABS unit 2 months outside of warranty. Nice riding bike with a great warranty, but a piece of junk IMHO. If i owned another one, i think i would join the Starbucks crowd on weekends
D. Irwin...
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #33
Tantalum Kid OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHelm
It's essentially just a big switching transistor.
About the electronics ... one of the photos of the controler shown in the attached link revealed one of the components was an electrolytic capacitor. Seeing this was dissapointing. Electrolytic capacitors have lousy thermal properties and inferior resistance to vibration, but are otherwise favoured by $/capacitance (i.e. cheap). In view of BMW's reputation for reliability I'd expected to see a more robust type of capacitor used on my "unstoppable" bike.

Shortcut to: http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/index.cfm?fa=contentGeneric.nvxszdkebklxuaer&pageId=428065
Tantalum Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #34
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalum Kid
About the electronics ... one of the photos of the controler shown in the attached link revealed one of the components was an electrolytic capacitor. Seeing this was dissapointing. Electrolytic capacitors have lousy thermal properties and inferior resistance to vibration, but are otherwise favoured by $/capacitance (i.e. cheap). In view of BMW's reputation for reliability I'd expected to see a more robust type of capacitor used on my "unstoppable" bike.

Shortcut to: http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/inde...&pageId=428065
Uh oh! NOW you've done it! You've actually said something negative about the reliability and quality of these bikes!

Stand by for several disparaging remarks by a few people on this forum who define themselves according to their mechanical posessions and take personally anything negative that's said about them.

As for me, I couldn't agree with you more. Also, I used your comment to update my "updated brochure" rant.

Thanks,

John

jpooch00 screwed with this post 08-25-2009 at 01:36 PM
Old 08-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #35
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpooch00
Unstoppable! - unless: they get wet, too hot, too cold, the FD grenades, the transmission grenades, the clutch wears out, gets oil contamination, is destroyed due to slight movement of left hand guard or the hub splines strip, the transmission input/output shaft splines strip, any or all of the various oil seals fail, the HES sensor quits working, the immobilizer ring craps out, the fuel pump controller gets wet or the cheap-assed electrolytic capacitor in it gets a little warm and shorts out, you hit a pothole & blow one or both shocks, the electronic dash fails, the ABS unit fails, the battery fails, the injector bodies get seriously out of sync, the fuel filter gets stopped up, the valves are not perfectly adjusted, you put more than 6000 miles on the rear brakes or any of the brake rotors warp, you stall on the freeway when your fuel gage/strip sensor craps out, the stick coils fail, the side stand micro switch fails, any or all of the wiring harnesses short out, break, corrode or disintegrate, the motorcycle is otherwise ridden for any length of time without major maintenance and/or repair work performed at a dealership, including making it run like crap with a software "update", at the standard rate of $100/hr"
That is some good signature material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:04 AM   #36
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by R12GS HOOLIGAN
That is some good signature material.
Hmmmmm...

Do ya think it might be a little lonnngggg though??

Hey, maybe not!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #37
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpooch00
Hmmmmm...
Do ya think it might be a little lonnngggg though??
Hey, maybe not!
Well, it is far too long.
In the sense: A list of this kind should be very short.

I think it is safe to conclude that the ones who buys a 12GS for the dreams they could make come true with it,
far outnumbers the ones who actually make their dreams come true.
BMW is not a church, and they have responded to that shift by making a street-only bike. Selling in the tens of thousands!

Sad.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #38
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk

I think it is safe to conclude that the ones who buys a 12GS for the dreams they could make come true with it, far outnumbers the ones who actually make their dreams come true.
BMW is not a church, and they have responded to that shift by making a street-only bike. Selling in the tens of thousands!

Sad.

[TaSK]
I guess I'd have the same rationale if I currently still owned the previous model.
Although I do agree with the Long Way Round groupie crowd remark.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #39
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed
I guess I'd have the same rationale if I currently still owned the previous model.
Although I do agree with the Long Way Round groupie crowd remark.
Sir,
Can you please explain to me what the "Long Way Down"-remark is?

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #40
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Sir,
Can you please explain to me what the "Long Way Down"-remark is?

[TaSK]
Yeah, I was wonderin' about that too!
Old 08-26-2009, 03:56 PM   #41
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,174
Spot On TaSK

Quote:
Well, it is far too long.
In the sense: A list of this kind should be very short.

I think it is safe to conclude that the ones who buys a 12GS for the dreams they could make come true with it,
far outnumbers the ones who actually make their dreams come true.

Sad.

[TaSK]
This is from another forum but for me really nails the future of GS/GSA bikes in the BMW line..and for me to it is sad.

Hp2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamble
In Motorcycle News, UK weekly bike newspaper, they announced that BMW will be fitting a detune HP2 Sport engine DOHC engine to the GS. Only minor cosmetic tweaks.

But 22 bhp power boost.

They may drop the R1200S and HP2 Megamoto which was limited run. However, a lower spec Megamoto may be moved into mass production.

So DOHC...revving to 8750rpm rather than current GS peak at 7k. Should be fun.

First my '07 GSA has about 100 hp and honestly 122 hp is way over kill on my bike since I ride it 90% off road..spinning to 8750 rpm rather than keeping the power and torque down lower is also not what I would want in an off road bike..as a gentleman on another forum commented that BMW is shifting the design of the GS series to pavement touring...this would verify that.

My question: Is the HP2 the bike which BMW required periodic major engine rebuilding?

Can't remember which bike it was that does require it..
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #42
pgods
Godspeed rider

Oddometer: 752
mine finally failed !

Well, I had 6 good years on my 06GS before the fuel pump controller went. The bike had all the symptoms of a dead coil - engine cutting out under load accompanied by a distinct sputtering sound. As soon as I let up on the throttle, the engine settled and sputtering gone. Only under load.

I replaced both secondary coils ... nadda.

I finally rode it to a dealer where they scratched their head and kept my bike for over a month, letting the bike travel through the hands of several mechanics trying to figure out the problem. They then handed me an $800 bill to diagnose and replace a $148 part- the fuel pump electronic. It took that many hours to determine what I see now as a common problem??

Remove the side panel, lift the fuel pump cap, and simply replace the electronic. I'm not happy.

pgods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #43
JStancampiano
PhotoJoe

Oddometer: 380
My original one worked great,but it was replaced under the recall by my dealer. The improver one failed 2 years 6 mo. later as enough water leaked by a pinched o ring to corrode the plug to the fuel pump. Not much rain around here last few years or it may have failed sooner. Told it was out of warranty.

Real smart to put this thing in a spot that fills with water!!