ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
mtnpat OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Tour de Taskers / Edinburg, VA - Saturday Sept 12th

After having such a good time at the Cat Herders Campout, I wanted to invite all my new ADVRider friends to join me on another dirt bike adventure.

What: offroad / trail riding.

When: Saturday Sept 12th, 11am. Rain date is Sunday Sept 13th, 12noon.

Where: Lee Ranger District OHV Trails near Edinburg, VA.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/lee/recr..._trails_sm.pdf

Difficulty Level: challenging to extremely difficult.

Pace: casual, its not a race. Nobody left behind.

Details: Lets get together and ride some knarly trails, splash through mudholes, catch some air and generally have a good time on dirt bikes. You can ride in on a dual-sport, or trailer in a offroad-only skooter. The plan is to start at the North end of Peters Mill, rip across the 10 mile jeep road and end up at Taskers Gap. Once at Taskers we will hit the trails for a couple hours then ride back across Peters Mill to where we started.

Terrain: Jeep roads strewn with rocks, semi-wide rocky twisty rocky trails. Trails range from moderately advanced, to you gotta be focking kidding me ridiculously hard. We can do whatever people want to do, including breaking into smaller groups while at Taskers.

Distance: 30-50 offroad miles, 30' of pavement.

Duration: 2-5 hours.

What to bring: a dirt bike (duh), a helmet (mandatory), a trail pass (mandatory, see below for details) all your gear, gloves knee elbow chest spine shoulder pads and boots aren't a bad idea, tools, tubes, a tow strap, plenty of water and some lunch or a snack.

Directions: Meet at the North entrance to Peters Mill just below Woodstock Tower on SR 758.

To Peters Mill OHV/ATV Parking Lot:

From I-66:

Take the Front Royal exit 6. Turn south on US 340/522 towards the town of Front Royal. Turn right on VA 55 west to the community of Waterlick. Turn left onto SR 678 south and continue to the community of Detrick. Turn right
onto SR 758 (Woodstock Tower Road) for approximately 3 miles. Go past the Little Fort Campground and turn left at the Peters Mill Run OHV/ATV trail sign to the parking lot.

From I-81:

In the works. Basically get yourself to the Woodstock exit and then to Woodstock Tower Rd.

Fee Area: you gotta pay to play, but heck it's only 5 bucks! You cannot pay at the trailhead, you have to purchase a pass at one of these locations on your way in:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/recreati...ees-faqs.shtml

Hope a bunch of inmates can make it!

-mtnpat
mtnpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,814
Some great rock gardens there... Have fun.
Bucho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
mtnpat OP
Adventurer

Bump

Is there really no interest here? I thought for sure some people would want to come do some off road riding! Especially when I mentioned only 30 feet of pavement. What more of an "Adventure" could you want?

Did I intimidate people with the level of difficulty listed? Yes it's hard, but I think that is what makes it fun. If an old guy on a 320lb dual-sport can do it.........

I would offer up icy cold beer but that isn't allowed where we would be.

If there is interest please let me know, post here or PM me. If not I will just go mountain biking that day.

-mtnpat
Old 08-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
Hatchcover
ADV

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnpat
Bump

Is there really no interest here?

-mtnpat
I believe its the date that is the problem. That is the same date as the Laurel Fork Camp out.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
mtnpat OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchcover
I believe its the date that is the problem. That is the same date as the Laurel Fork Camp out.
Ah, gotcha. So many gatherings so little time.