ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
Guy Young OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,303
Moto Virginia

Anyone know anything about the KTM Dealer in the Charlottesville area, Moto Virginia??

http://www.motovirginia.com/

Old 08-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young
Anyone know anything about the KTM Dealer in the Charlottesville area, Moto Virginia??

http://www.motovirginia.com/

It's pretty much a scooter dealership with a few bikes--mostly dirt-only last time I was there..
Go there if you want a pink Vespa.
If you want a KTM and are coming from Richmond, do yourself a favor and go to to the real KTM dealership on 211.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:38 AM   #3
Guy Young OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii
It's pretty much a scooter dealership with a few bikes--mostly dirt-only last time I was there..
Go there if you want a pink Vespa.
If you want a KTM and are coming from Richmond, do yourself a favor and go to to the real KTM dealership on 211.
That's on the right headed west just past Luray, yes??
Old 08-25-2009, 02:01 AM   #4
mtnflow
LFC, more pie please

Oddometer: 2,223
Yes, Outlanders. I've been in there a few times looking at new 990 advs and then back again to get air and oil filters for the used one I bought. They seemed like they knew what they were doing. I told him I was in the process of checking my valves.... he asked how many miles it had on it.... 20k, he said they shouldn't need to be shimmed with those miles. I checked them and they were all within spec, so that left a good impression of his experience. They seem big into the harley/cruiser/chopper scene with all the black shirts, chaps, and leather but then have KTMs in the show room.
mtnflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:18 AM   #5
Guy Young OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnflow
Yes, Outlanders. I've been in there a few times looking at new 990 advs and then back again to get air and oil filters for the used one I bought. They seemed like they knew what they were doing. I told him I was in the process of checking my valves.... he asked how many miles it had on it.... 20k, he said they shouldn't need to be shimmed with those miles. I checked them and they were all within spec, so that left a good impression of his experience. They seem big into the harley/cruiser/chopper scene with all the black shirts, chaps, and leather but then have KTMs in the show room.
Appreciate it.

Been by there a few times, but didn't take the time to stop.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:39 AM   #6
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,242
Moto Va went belly up. Lost their KTM and Vespa franchise back in Feb or March. They claimed to be doing service work after that but now the building is empty.
I bought my 690 Enduro (June '08) from Outlanders in Luray. Christian, the owner, gave me what I thought was a very fair price. They haven't sold a tremendous number of KTM's so I don't know how much service experience they get, but Christian and one of the mechanics went to KTM tech school in Ohio and they have the fuel injection tools for working on newer ADV bikes.
OldnoGPS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:55 AM   #7
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,553
My experience with Outlanders has been less than positive. Keep in mind I was only ordering parts from them. I wanted to support a local KTM dealer so I decided I would order all my parts locally. I would call and give them the part numbers I needed and if I needed them in a hurry would tell them I would pay any shipping if they did not have enough to order to cover shipping. Days and sometimes weeks would go by and nothing. Promises to call back were never fulfilled. I would have to call back repeatedly to get any sort of response to my orders. So I stopped ordering parts from them and went on line for what I needed.

I hope you guys have better luck.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:27 AM   #8
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,546
Moto Virginia moved their shop to Airport rd. in Holleymede right before the traffic circle...English people call them roundabouts... on the right side as you go to the Airport. They are not dealers anymore but still have all their tools and will be happy to work on KTM's ,Vespas and other two stroke stuff and scooters. They also have accessories for sale and can order parts.
FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:45 AM   #9
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXedupONE
Moto Virginia moved their shop to Airport rd. in Holleymede right before the traffic circle...English people call them roundabouts... on the right side as you go to the Airport. They are not dealers anymore but still have all their tools and will be happy to work on KTM's ,Vespas and other two stroke stuff and scooters. They also have accessories for sale and can order parts.
Roughly translated, that means they moved all of their stuff into the building their father owns (Donnie lives, or lived, upstairs). I'm sure, given their level of attention to detail, that they'll put up a sign one day - maybe in a year or two.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS
Roughly translated, that means they moved all of their stuff into the building their father owns (Donnie lives, or lived, upstairs). I'm sure, given their level of attention to detail, that they'll put up a sign one day - maybe in a year or two.
They park a vespa out front assuming people will know to walk around the back of the house and find their shop in the back. I think they were working on a sign.

The Kawasaki dealer in Unionville at 20 and 522 is becoming a Vespa/Piaggio dealer for this area, I'm thinking Orange county will be a weird place to sell Vespas but what do I know, I guess Lake Anna is nearby.

But no KTM dealer anymore right around here, but Moto VA should be able to still order parts okay from them if you're able to deal with their disorganization.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #11
vagt6
Bit the Bullet

Oddometer: 832
I'd love to see another motorcycle shop in that old Moto VA location on Preston Ave. in C'ville. But I ain't holdin' my breath.

Probably will become another tapas bar or bookstore.

Ugh.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
Bowtie76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagt6
I'd love to see another motorcycle shop in that old Moto VA location on Preston Ave. in C'ville. But I ain't holdin' my breath.

Probably will become another tapas bar or bookstore.

Ugh.
Yeah, something that sells Eurotrash, like Triumph would work.
Bowtie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:20 AM   #13
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXedupONE
But no KTM dealer anymore right around here, but Moto VA should be able to still order parts okay from them if you're able to deal with their disorganization.
They order parts the same way we do - from a legitimate dealer. When they lost their KTM franchise they lost their ability to place dealer orders along with it.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:03 AM   #14
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oh I see. Yeah any of us can get online and order parts I guess.