User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Cool2 Bug Murderers Assault South America!

No job.
No woman
No dog
No brats
No house
No furniture
No money
(No tengo trabajo, mujer, perro, tonto niños pequeños, casa, muebles, dinero)

And, "I ain't got no friends, and all the others, they hate me!"

What else is there to do but to head to South America? My budy Nate has been trying to get me to go along with him all year. My reply was pretty consistent - "ah dude, I gots a good job. Maybe next year?"

We got a new VP where I used to work. Not long after he got there I got an email - "Arno, let's have a chat tomorrow." Lol, being a veteran of the Oracle Wars, I knew exactly what this meant, so I cleaned out some crap out of my desk and went home.

Sure enough, the next day he, the HR rep, and I are sitting in a little office and he says "Sorry Arno, but I've eliminated your department, so you have to go." and he then got up and left me alone with the HR rep. She was a little distressed and feeling really bad for me. I told her, "are you kidding, don't feel bad, I'm going to South America!"

Nate, I'm comin' to South America with you, buddy!

My ex-company gave me a pretty kickin' severance package, so the next step was to find a suitable bike. I chose the new BMW F800GS. I started a blog here about it. I haven't updated it much but I might move the info over to my current blog, here.

This will be my first ride report that I will maintain in real-time. Up until now they've all been after-the-fact. Let's see how this works.

I'm leaving next weekend from Portland, OR, to Dallas, then Houston, then Presidio, Texas, where I'll cross into Mexico and head for Copper Canyon. Then I'll head back to the US/Mexico border to pick up Nate. Pretty much after that I'll be navigating by compass point. The only hard schedule I have is to make the sailboat in Panama to get to Colombia in time for the Colombia Libre party. That's one party I am not going to miss.

I'll beat-feet for Ushia/Tierra del Fuego before it gets too cold, but after that, who knows. I'm hoping to spend a couple of years down there.

I'm sure I've read every word of every trip report on CA and SA, but regardless, I will sure welcome any and every comment/tip/advice that anyone throws my way. Hablo un pocito espanol and I study everyday (so help en espanol is welcome, too!), and I'm pretty fluent in German (but I don't suspect that will help much). Lay it on me brothers and sisters!

My brain is already hurting.

drrags screwed with this post 01-31-2010 at 08:08 PM
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote