Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #1846
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,587
Looking forward to the next segment. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #1847
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,283
Godspeed !!

Will you have the Spot going again?

The Blog from our adventure ride
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #1848
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourty2ri
Will you have the Spot going again?
Yep.. link to the shared page can be found below in my sig.

(nothing there yet... wheels rolling Sat. AM)

And yes, I know that LDF is the star, I've long ago resigned myself to being along for the ride on her coat tails. And no, she can't be cloned, although I did look into hiring a stunt double for this episode of the Mobius trip. You know, just for the crash scenes.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:36 PM   #1849
miniroot
running in: please pass

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Yep.. link to the shared page can be found below in my sig.

(nothing there yet... wheels rolling Sat. AM)
Sweet; looks like I came back to Advrider just in the nick of time...
miniroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:51 PM   #1850
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

And speaking of Spot

A huge thank-you goes out from Francine & me to our behind-the-scenes "Spotters", who keep an eye on our back and are ready to spring into action if we ever have to hit the "help" or "911" buttons.

John (Speez) , Ethan (urbancowboy) , Steve (vfr870) , and Ken.

It's a huge comfort knowing you guys are in our corner. Much appreciated.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 09-11-2009, 06:08 AM   #1851
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Reflections on 9/11, terrorism, and motorcycle adventures

Eight years ago today, a few hours after the towers fell, the initial deluge of casualties arriving to Bellevue had slowed to a trickle. The head of Trauma Surgery and I took a break from the OR's and ICU, and went down to the Emergency Room entrance where the ambulances pull up. We had been able to see the events unfold from our 15th floor ICU windows, but this was the first time we had been outside.

The world was palpably different. Voices reflected the stress of the unknown, exchanging questions in hushed whispers. None of the usual sly joking, not even the gallows humor that is a typical coping mechanism in our world. We looked up and saw fighter jets circling low over the East River. Fighter jets. This wasn't any 4th of July Air Show, this was the real deal. They were flying on official business, with live munitions, safety off. And the smell. If you weren't here you won't understand. If you were, forgetting is not an option.

He turned to me and asked, "Dave, the world has changed. When do you think it will get back to normal?"

I thought for two seconds, and then blurted out, "Tomorrow, or maybe the day after."

We were silent for a minute, and he replied, "No, I think you're wrong. I don't think the world will ever be the same."

In the subsequent 8 years, he's moved to Baltimore, and we've remained great friends. We've continued to discuss and reflect on the societal consequences of 9/11. I think we have both come to the conclusion that we were both right. The two responses were not mutually exclusive. On Sept. 12th we went down to NY Downtown hospital which was two blocks from Ground Zero to see if we could offer any assistance or accept transfers. The trip was less than two miles, but it was like traveling from mid-town to Mars. Uptown, outdoor cafe's were open, people were somber, but still, they were sipping cappuccinos; pretty normal. Downtown, it was like a war zone. No electricity, dust and smoke in the air, burned out vehicles on the streets, sleep-deprived, sweaty, and filthy zombies walking around in a daze; definitely NOT normal.

The New York Times published an article today describing how people's anticipation of a changed New York hasn't quite played out the way they thought it would.

Our world is definitely the same. Francine and I still wake up, brush teeth, go to work.

Our world is definitely different. There's an appreciation of life, a renewed commitment to serve, an urgency to live life to the fullest, to explore, to travel, to challenge ourselves. It could all be gone in a second. I'm not sure LDF would be on two wheels, or we would be doing these trips were it not for our experiences on 9/11. Complacency is the enemy, and once we got over the initial months of mourning, I believe we have approached all aspects of our lives with readjusted priorities, and renewed vigor.

I have mixed feelings about flying on 9/11. On the one hand, logistically it makes the most sense. It also is a big f-you to terrorists, saying "you didn't win." On the other hand, a part of me feels that I'm abandoning the city on a day that solidarity is important. This is where we were on 9/11, and we're still living here. But there's more to it than that. Fear is the same root emotion that underlies both terror as well as exhilaration. The difference is in who is inducing it. Exhilaration is what you get when you scare yourself. It heightens the senses, makes you smile when it's over.

And so, on 9/11, we get on a plane. We fly across the country. The world is the same.

We're going to have an adventure. To live life fully. To feel exhilarated. The world is different. It's a little scary.

See y'all in a coupla weeks.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:14 AM   #1852
lm248
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Wow

Well written,
I wish I could express myself like that.
Thanks,
And good luck on your trip.
Les
lm248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:28 AM   #1853
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,884
Great post, Dave. You guys have a wonderful trip, you deserve it.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:18 AM   #1854
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,207
Thanks for putting the energy into these rr's Dr Rock. Many of us enjoying your thrills and insights. Hell, the writing so good I'm considering a switch to bourbon. Wishing you and LDF safety with big adv.

Sutherngintelmen screwed with this post 09-13-2009 at 07:37 AM
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:44 AM   #1855
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,652
Best post yet, DR Rock.

This is going to be good...

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:53 AM   #1856
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
On the other hand, a part of me feels that I'm abandoning the city on a day that solidarity is important. This is where we were on 9/11, and we're still living here.
And that should be enough solidarity for anyone, especially when this city is surrounded by whimpering pansies who won't visit because they are afraid of the terrorists and what they might do here or on a bridge or in a tunnel.

Safe travels my friends. We await your stories!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #1857
booty0
Booger eater

Oddometer: 174
A hearty salute to you both. Bon voyage and good luck!

Old 09-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #1858
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,635
Great post on 9/11, Dave. Have a great flight you too. I will be checking your spot page after tomorrow.
Lion
Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #1859
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer: 511
Well spoken words of remembrance and reflection.

Godspeed to you two on your journeys.

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #1860
dutch2004
Dreaming the dream...zzz

Oddometer: 66
Great Post!!

So very well-put, Doc!

Be safe, have fun, can't wait to hear all about this last section.