User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #1996
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
These were some nice trails

Which were adding a few miles to our route, and fairly dusty and dry, but were totally worth it.

It was also great that our hosts opened and closed the gates for us... that's usually MY job!

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:26 PM   #1997
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Big trees

Another quick stop to check this baby out:

It was really massive. Later in the trip we stopped to see the largest sugar pine. Big trees. Another M-4 theme?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 09-30-2009, 09:29 PM   #1998
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Helmet cam

I had brought the VholdR helmet attachment thingie, and a door-stop that was going to have to carve out to get the correct angle, and I didn't want to take the time to do that in the morning, 'cause we were running late as it was. So there's no video from the trail today, unfortunately.

Which is too bad, 'cause both Dean & Mike had great stories and local info that I would have loved to have recorded and shared. I guess you'll just have to go visit and meet them yourselves.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #1999
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were starting to climb

deeper into the Sierra's.

Dean knew where we were headed, generally, and made sure we kept moving in the correct direction. It was nice having someone else worry about navigation. All I had to do was occasionally scroll around the GPS to keep track of which direction our planned route was.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:35 PM   #2000
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Eventually, Mike peeled off

I think before we got to this sign, or shortly after:

Wing-man, flying in formation:

Old 09-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #2001
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Moss on the trees

predictably growing on the North side:

It felt good to be riding in the woods again, shaking the cobwebs out of the bike-body interface.

You can see the weather building in the next shot... it would dump some rain on Dean on his ride home.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #2002
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was nearly 2pm

and we hadn't had any food since, well... since the night before.

Snack time!

Meanwhile, I had noticed that Dean's tail light assembly was flopping around...

If only he had dynabeads perfectly balancing his wheels... stuff like that wouldn't shake itself loose all the time.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:53 PM   #2003
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At Yuba pass

We said our good-byes, and Dean headed for home. He has much better photos in his slide show; I only have this one:

And I didn't realize that he had turned his head just as the shutter snapped. Oops. A Halenda or Margus I ain't.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:32 PM   #2004
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

And then there were two

It's a real comfort having a send-off by locals at the beginning of a Mobius leg. We've been fortunate on each of the four legs so far to have local contacts available "just in case"... Rick (Motor1) in TN The mighty Todd in Albuquerque , my brother and sister-in-law in Flagstaff , and Mike and Dean in Reno . Thanks to all of you for the offers of support... but at a certain point, we've got to forge out on our own, and for Mobius 4, the time had come.

We clicked into gear, and headed for:

Old 09-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #2005
Oatmeal Stout
Stromtrooper

Oddometer: 4
Thumb Epic!

Love the report and the video! Looking forward to more.
Oatmeal Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #2006
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Without a guide

I was going to have to pay more attention to our route and navigation. Here's what we did that first day (Sat, Sept. 12, 2009):

Yuba pass is right where our route in green crosses hwy 49. It was getting late in the day, so we had to start thinking about where we were going to sleep for the night. At a minimum I wanted to try to get to Quincy, CA. I didn't mind staying in a hotel, we were still shaking down the gear, and I had some chores to do to get the helmet cam mounted which would be easier indoors, instead of by campfire light.

The next section put us parallel to hwy 89, but at a higher elevation, and gave us great views down into the valley.

It got a little technical at times,

but the views just kept coming.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:30 PM   #2007
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Graegle

We blew through Graegle, not stopping for gas, nor groceries,

and pushed towards a motel in Quincy. Between Quincy and Graegle, we had some unfinished business... the Johnsville-McCrea road, past a couple of 7000ft. peaks where we got stopped by snow, riding from the opposite direction last May:

[flashback ]

Well, this time we got through, and boy, was it worth it!
Old 09-30-2009, 11:35 PM   #2008
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At Plumas-Eureka State park

Campground, we considered stopping by to visit the hosts Don & Nicole who had been so kind as to let us stay there on Mobius-III on the day before they officially opened. We could see their camper, but when we saw this

we figured they'd be gone, and we were losing daylight quickly. We pressed on:

Old 10-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #2009
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The Johnsville-McCrae road

did not dissappoint

Up to altitude, then majestic cliffs,

sweeping views,

and some technical riding

Old 10-01-2009, 08:32 AM   #2010
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We stopped to chat

"You in the Mobius zone yet?"

"Almost... I think so"

Other sights along the way:

We're like kids in a candy store at this point.