Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #2011
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,522
We took a cut-off

near the snowmobile hut, that took us past Pilot Peak,

I wasn't sure if it would go through, or be ridable.

we knew the go-around was good since we had done it in May,

LDF was game to try... it was beautiful.

We began our descent,

and eventually reconnected with the paved Quincy-LaPorte road.

It felt good... meeting the challenge of exploring an unconfirmed route, navigating, riding, conquering...

Stats for the special section: 22mi, 1h25min, avg speed 15mph. Just about right.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #2012
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was about 5:30pm

when we pulled into Quincy. The first motel we went to wanted $80, so we tried across the stree... the Gold Pan for $60, where other motorcycle riders seemed to be staying; a BMW group, and on the other side, a HD group.

The desk clerk was one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen, maybe a slight eastern european accent, and she was sporting some cleavage to beat the band. Sorry, no pic . I bring it up because only 'cause it cost me $20... here's how:

Sorry about the sound so low...

Moon's Restaurant, in Quincy:

At dinner, we could overhear from the other tables that there was some BMW rally, or event nearby. Maybe someone will recognize someone?

Yummy warm artichoke-parmasian dip appetizer & fat tire:

Overall stats for the day, elevations:

Mileages and times:

Not bad for half a day riding.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-01-2009, 08:30 AM   #2013
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sunday, 9-13-09

Quincy, CA to Gurnsey Creek Campground, Lassen National Forest. (photo is click-able to see a bigger version)

Old 10-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #2014
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Keep it coming. Great Report!

...most beautiful women I've ever seen...????

Better look beside you, man!!!
SlowRide13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:43 PM   #2015
Whosoever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thanks for the deversion~

Doc and Francine....I just want to add my voice to the kudos you all are getting off this ride report. It is really the best! Thanks for taking all the time to make it come alive for us....the video has really added a new dimension. Your report sure beats anything on TV!
Ride Safe....Whosoever
Whosoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #2016
katoomon
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 64
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
near the snowmobile hut, that took us past Pilot Peak,
I wasn't sure if it would go through, or be ridable.
we knew the go-around was good since we had done it in May,
LDF was game to try... it was beautiful.

and eventually reconnected with the paved Quincy-LaPorte road.

It felt good... meeting the challenge of exploring an unconfirmed route, navigating, riding, conquering...

Stats for the special section: 22mi, 1h25min, avg speed 15mph. Just about right.
Hey Dr. Rocco and LDF,
It was great to ride along with you, and I would like to say thanks once again for the used dirt bags.

The Quincy Laporte road is a raging hoot for logging pavement time. There are plenty of declining radius turns to keep you honest, or see if you have any lean left. All of the foothill roads on the west side are a bunch of fun. Some of the smaller roads are about 1.5 cars wide with no centerline; up one ridge road, down the next, repeat.

Video is a great addition. When do we get to see the drinking/carrying on vids where your NFY accents really come out?

I just watched Rainy Ride Home, http://vimeo.com/5317628 that was some major filtering... talk about adventure... the guy on the single speed was pulling off a pretty good trackstand, and the street (your street?) with pavers was pretty cool.

this is gonna be good
Old 10-02-2009, 04:03 AM   #2017
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoomon
... the guy on the single speed was pulling off a pretty good trackstand,...
for the record... so was I. Didn't dab the whole ride.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:38 AM   #2018
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 666
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:29 AM   #2019
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Morning, sunshine

We were the first up, and could tell something was going on overnight with the bikes in the parking lot.

Let's just say there was an uncomfortable silence,

and some sheepish grins,

and if by some means, a few months from now, one of those boxer or v-twins gives birth to a little thumper, we are NOT responsible for maintenance or oil changes.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #2020
bpeterson
pssst! over here.

Oddometer: 921
Quote:
We were the first up, and could tell something was going on overnight with the bikes in the parking lot.
at first glance, it certainly appears like Blueberry did the "walk of shame" in the wee morning hours
'02 DR-Z 400S
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #2021
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Wheels rolling

nice and early before 8am. It was a chilly 40degrees, but quickly warmed.

Because in prior testing, the helmet cam angle was always too low, the evening before, I had fashioned a wedge using a doorstop to position the helmet cam at the appropriate angle, and affixed it to the brim of my helmet.

Now I was ready for action. I had been struggling with how best to incorporate video in the ride report, and had concluded that simply recording the riding was boring. I had up 'till this point in the trip, tried to record some conversations that would show our situation, and mood, and tell a story.

But now I was riding... and through some magnificent terrain as well. All of a sudden, I had an idea.

Yes, mobile video updates. Unfortunately, the sound recording volume is lower than I'd hoped, and in reviewing all the video I shot, anytime I was moving faster than about 25mph, you can't hear what I'm saying at all.

I assure you , I was providing some profound and entertaining, sometimes poignant commentary. You just can't always hear it. Some clips can be salvaged, and some of the riding is just too good to not post, even though I know after 30 sec it may be boring.

So I'll sift through, and label any videos that are just riding segments as such so as not to waste anyone's time. For the other videos, turn up the volume all the way on both the video player, and the computer, and you should be able to hear.

By the way, there's a microphone mod that's been described for these cameras that puts the mic inside the helmet for much better audio. That's now on my "to do" list for Mobius-5.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-06-2009 at 07:26 AM
Old 10-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #2022
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,787
Quote:
Some clips can be salvaged, and some of the riding is just too good to not post, even though I know after 30 sec it may be boring.

Post 'em all, what may seem boring to you is fresh and exciting for someone who's never been.

The vids definitely add a nice touch to it.

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #2023
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
+1 !!!
SlowRide13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #2024
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870
Post 'em all, what may seem boring to you is fresh and exciting for someone who's never been.

The vids definitely add a nice touch to it.

thanks, I'll post them, but I'll be sure to put a disclaimer in front of each clip to let you know something about the content, especially if I think it's skip-worthy or not.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #2025
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

After a bit of pavement

the morning's ride was spent rewinding some of the roads we did on Mobius-3.

Forest fires and clear-cutting. I have mixed feelings about both of them.

On the one hand, they both leave horrible scars on the side of a mountain.

on the other hand, in the densely wooded areas, sometimes that's the only way you get a nice view.

it can be a guilty pleasure.