User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #2026
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
The road

(Old Utah Construction Rd.) between Quincy and Hwy 70 was a perfect warm-up for the day.

The temperature really warmed as we rose from the valley where the cool night air settles.

We even found the place where we had stopped for a snack on M-3:

[flashback]

[flash-forward] Much drier this time!

Soon, we finished the special,

and moved on to the transit section of Hwy 70 for a few miles along the East Branch North Fork of the Feather River.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #2027
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

After a few miles,

we turned north again,

on Caribou rd.

followed that up aways, crossing under the huge pipes from the hydroelectric system,

and then, leaving our M-3 breadcrumbs behind, crossed the North Fork of the Feather River onto the dirt, and into the hills.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #2028
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I was pretty excited

about the next section. We had skipped it southbound on M-3 when we got quagmired and had to reroute back to Mill Creek camp and then skipped the whole loop around Lassen Volcano to get ahead to Susanville.

It starts with a long series of switchbacks that climb up onto a ridge above the treeline which we'd follow for quite a while.

All I knew is that it looked like it was going to be really cool from the virtual pre-running I had done on GoogleEarth.

As we gained elevation, it started to become clear why it looked so cool from GoogleEarth:

The trees were gone, 'cause there had been a forest fire.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #2029
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Before we got all the way to the top,

we stopped for a break. We'd been riding for about an hour and a half.

I'll let LDF,

explain the significance of this:

Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #2030
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Cresting the ridge

we saw this was going to be a fun ridge-run

with great views,

and we learned a little bit more about the fire:

Old 10-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #2031
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At this point,

after snapping some photos, I shot a video update while trying to catch up to LDF. This is one of the ones where you can't hear very well at all until the very end.

I think I was talking about forest fires or something. You can get some sense of the views and terrain, though. Disclaimer... no story content, just great riding. Skip at will.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #2032
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
we stopped for a break. We'd been riding for about an hour and a half.

I'll let LDF,

explain the significance of this:

I think I will pass on that.
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #2033
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
RenoDeano's Slide Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
We said our good-byes, and Dean headed for home. He has much better photos in his slide show; I only have this one:

And I didn't realize that he had turned his head just as the shutter snapped. Oops. A Halenda or Margus I ain't.

Dr. Rock/ Great stuff. Thanks.... Now can you explain to this NOOB how Deano's Picasa Slide show gets uploaded to ADV Rider? I use Picasa to build RR's but haven't seen any help files on how to get them "in" like you have done.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #2034
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDOPE
Dr. Rock/ Great stuff. Thanks.... Now can you explain to this NOOB how Deano's Picasa Slide show gets uploaded to ADV Rider? I use Picasa to build RR's but haven't seen any help files on how to get them "in" like you have done.

it didn't from what i could see. DR included a link in his reply that launches the slide show. but the slide show is on picasa or google, wherever not ADV though.

LDF were you dared into touching something that you then had to wash off?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #2035
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
woohoo! the journey continues!

great report so far, love the inclusion of the video... really gives more of a sense of the riding you're doing than the snapshots do... and yes... a mic would be good.

i wonder if you can finagle it to use the Scala Q2 mic somehow?

Old 10-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #2036
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata

Old 10-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #2037
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia
i wonder if you can finagle it to use the Scala Q2 mic somehow?
Thought about it, but the mod is easy enough...

Also, the newest version of the VholdR cam may have addressed some of the mic issues, or maybe not.

I just found this resource for motorcycle video-logging. Looks like it might be helpful.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-02-2009 at 01:57 PM
Old 10-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #2038
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back up on the ridge

We took photos of each other...

you could see the valley on one side,

and on the other.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #2039
McDOPE
Adventurer

RR / Picasa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey
it didn't from what i could see. DR included a link in his reply that launches the slide show. but the slide show is on picasa or google, wherever not ADV though.

LDF were you dared into touching something that you then had to wash off?

Ahhhh... I see what you mean. The slide show is just accessed via the link to Picasa. Thanks. I'll stop trying to upload directly to ADV from Picasa.
Many thanks..... I could build the ride report on ADV but the editiing ability of Picasa is nice
Old 10-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #2040
McDOPE
Adventurer

rthuey's reply re ride reports / Rah, Rah, Rah.

Thanks "rthuey". My reposnse ended up back in this RR where I asked the question so I'm doin' a little repeat here. Per your comment I see how Dr. Rock just linked to the slide show in Picasa. I'll do the same and stop .