Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009, 09:19 AM   #2056
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
"Lunch"

We found some shade, and a picnic table at a campsite,

It was about 1:45pm, and we had covered about a hundred miles. We snacked on beef jerky, the rest of the pumpkin bread, and some peanuts. A couple of ATV riders drove by, and we saw a guy with a fishing pole. Took some photos of little rocks,

and the big one,

geared back up,

and were back on our way.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #2057
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Climbing out of the valley

on the other side,

we continued to have great views of the Black Rock, and also of the rest of the valley.

I stopped to take a few photos of a lava outcropping I thought looked cool, and LDF motored on ahead...

I saw that the climb up this side was steeper, and more technical, with a wicked drop-off to the left, and cliff to the right. I thought it would be a good place to do a mobile video update, talk about lunch, and where we were headed... you know, boring stuff. Little did I know...

Disclaimer: don't miss this one... it's probably one of the most exciting episodes of this trip.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-03-2009 at 09:31 AM
Old 10-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #2058
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
on closer examination...

... of the video, I have positively identified the stuff in the road as:

Beaver poop!!!
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:49 AM   #2059
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Wow

Going through the photos and sequence, I'd forgotten what a great day this was.

After the bear episode, the next two-three hours were spent on some of the most remote,

most difficult to navigate,

and most beautiful terrain we've run.

We were up on Bucks flat, which wasn't flat at all... trying to connect two different National Forest road systems via some BLM territory on roads which were labyrinthine, sometimes non-existant, and sometimes gated.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #2060
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide13
KILLER Beaver poop!!!
Old 10-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #2061
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This was definitely

logging area

and, while the actual surface under our wheels wasn't particularly difficult to ride,

it didn't seem like we were ever out of 2nd gear on account of all the tight curves.

These are bridges that don't appear on any map, but I could see them on GoogleEarth, and was hoping that they weren't gated. They weren't. Whew.

I breathed major sighs of relief each time we linked two roads together that I don't think LDF was aware of.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-03-2009 at 12:17 PM
Old 10-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #2062
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

There were critters

But we hadn't seen a soul since Black Rock.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #2063
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Yes, I am in trouble, but it was her first time, and noteworthy as such, and that thing is a piece of kit that every woman should own... she said so herself, and it significantly changed the nature of the rest stops for both of us... no more grumpiness, delay, waiting, inordinate worry about poison ivy, etc... just stop, go, and go.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #2064
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
No that DEFINITELY was BEAR poop. Dean taught me that riding out of Reno.
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #2065
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata
No that DEFINITELY was BEAR poop. Dean taught me that riding out of Reno.
DrLewall has provided additional instructions regarding bear poop identification:

Old 10-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #2066
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
All right I solved the mystery once and for all...

At 1:18, when the camera pans up onto the hill on the right, I pulled out a still frame. When I zoomed in and lightened the dark, shady area under the large rock about 10 feet up the hill, I found this:

Not sure what it is...... You be the judge.
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #2067
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We apparantly missed a turn

onto a road that didn't exist...

and turned around before we laid down too many miles in the wrong direction. I pulled out the maps, and spec'd out a 15-20 mile go-around. About a half mile into that, we found the road we wanted. Another whew, since gas was becoming an issue.

then we ran into this:

OK, now what. The go-around at this point is going to be about 60 miles before we get to Mineral, CA which was to be our next re-fueling point. We probably had enough, but one more re-route, and we'd be stuck. So.....

we went around the gate.

The road eventually deteriorated into this:

Now I was really worried. I checked maps and GPS again. It LOOKED like maybe, just maybe there was a bigger road about a half mile uphill at the end of this obviously de-commissioned road.

We pressed on, up and around berms and logs, and lo and behold... we popped out on this ridge.... Double Whew!

it was a real, not imaginary road...

with graded gravel and everything... home free to Mineral!

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-03-2009 at 11:38 AM
Old 10-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #2068
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were out of water

so imagine our relief when we passed this:

(She only filled it like 1/3 full...)

We've got water, now all we need is gas, food, booze, and a campground... and it's starting to get late.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-03-2009 at 11:27 AM
Old 10-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #2069
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Once we crested

we survived another killer beaver / bear sighting...

then it was all downhill... into the valley,

and back onto pavement.

We figured we'd gas up, get provisions, and head back into the woods and camp.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-03-2009 at 11:39 AM
Old 10-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #2070
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mineral store

So we gathered intel at the country store,

and came up with a plan: