User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #2071
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Off to Chester

We rode the whole way with that pit in the stomach, waiting for the engines to start sputtering and die.

I hate that feeling. We have 4gal tanks, and generally get about 45-50 mpg, but with the terrain we'd been riding, who knows. We had 4X22oz fuel canisters spare, but we were pushing well past our usual gas comfort-zone.

Finally:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #2072
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Just up the road

there was a proper grocery store,

where we could stock up:

I love that drinking bourbon supports a worthy cause. Is this a great country, or what.

Learn more:

We also picked up some wine:

and headed to a National Forest campground

that we had passed on Hwy 36 between Mineral & Chester. That would set us up for a paved run up and over Hwy 89 to Old Station, skipping a few miles of our intended dirt route, but we had to make up some distance having to divert to Chester for gas. Oh well.

Our stats for the day:

and the elevations:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-03-2009 at 12:46 PM
Old 10-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #2073
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,164
Just caught up guys. Excellent trip report again.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #2074
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Monday, Sept. 14, 2009

Like I said at the beginning, M-4 had a lot of ups and downs, and this day had no shortage. We started waking up in the rain, climbed Mt. Lassen into the fog, and descended into a quagmire.

It was another long day, and eventually we put down camp a few miles from where we'd pick back up the TAT on tuesday.

Most of M-4 was routed from tracks from other people's rides. Today, however, was mostly my routing -- I was trying to connect the CBCDT with the TAT. There is an added anxiety whenever we're exploring a route I'm not sure even exists. There's some (small) comfort knowing that someone else has ridden this, even if it was a few years previously. None of that today.

(Click map for access to larger-sized versions)

Old 10-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #2075
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were pretty much alone

in the campground. We cooked dinner, set up camp, the usual. In the morning we were up bright and early... no, not bright, it was still dark.

Eventually we broke camp in between sprinkles,

geared up,

and started rolling...

a disappointing 8:45am start. I was glad we had decided to skip some dirt, and wasn't worried that we couldn't make up the distance on pavement, and be back on track by mid-day.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #2076
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mt. Lassen

was completely shrouded in fog

and it was cold .

No matter, we were Hwy 89, a legendary motorcycle route, not necessarily 'cause this was the route we wanted to take, but because it would get us caught back up. So we flipped on our heated grips, and grit our teeth.

What we could see looked totally awesome... this is a stinky sulfer vent spewing yellow fart gas into the air:

but most of the ride was like this:

We both would like to return someday, and see it without the fog.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #2077
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

On the ride down

we got some breaks in the clouds,

I was particularly impressed that LDF was taking these curves without using her brakes.

until I realized she was taking the curves without using her tail light either...

We stopped at the visitor's information center,

and on inspection...

oops. Oh well, it would give her something to worry about instead of bears... she didn't have the bike's registration with her either, so if we got pulled over, she'd be spending the night in jail fo'sho'.

It looked like I'd need some wire to splice in, which I didn't have, and I figured there was no urgency... I'd try to scrounge some wire, and get to it when I could.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #2078
KI6HNB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Lemme guess. LDF jumped a tripple (while trying to avoid killer beavers) pulled off a superman in mid air on a fully loaded DRZ but botched the landing causing the suspension to bottom and the tire ripped the wire out?
Old 10-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #2079
booty0
Booger eater

Oddometer: 174
Listening to only one side of the radio conversation is kind of amusing...
Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #2080
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,236
Does a bear shit in the woods? Apparently not, a bear shits in the middle of the road ( or wherever it dam well wants to) !!!
LMAO !!

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:09 AM   #2081
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

From Mt. Lassen

we'd continue on pavement to Old Station, CA, gas up, and dive back into the dirt.

Old Station had a gas station / general store, and after filling up I went inside to see if they had any wire to fix Blueberry's tail light assembly. They didn't.

I went around back, to see if I could get lucky and find some scrap,

Oh, this looks promising...

Uh huh...

An old cable to nowhere! Perfect.

Mission accomplished.

I bought some 'lectrical tape in the general store, and we were on our way.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:14 AM   #2082
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The run from Old Station

to Little Valley, CA

was about 25mi. of standard issue forest service roads,

We were entering the zone between the Sierra Nevada range, and crossing over to the Warner range.

It was really the section from Little Valley to Alturas that I was more concerned about from a routing / navigating standpoint...
Old 10-04-2009, 07:34 AM   #2083
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Particularly,

the route out of Little Valley. I had struggled between the Garmin topo maps, the Benchmark atlas, and the GoogleEarth images to trace a route that connected the NF roads through an area that was maybe BLM, maybe private, and maybe Union Pacific.

The first step, which was derived from GoogleEarth to get us out of Little Valley proper worked fine,

It took us along the railroad, past some old junked cars, -- looked to be 1940's era.

We stopped for a short break as we crossed Horse Creek,

and I spied another one of the Emmigrant trail markers:

Yeah, baby!

Actually, these messages from the past provided a kind of weird combination of comfort and trepidation.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #2084
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

And with the words from

the ghosts of pioneering adventurers past, echoing in our heads, we launched into the wilderness.

The railroad tracks came in and out of sight, and the trail... well the trail sort of started to deteriorate... see for yourselves:

...and then it started to fade away

welcome to Loomis Cabin "Rd."

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-04-2009 at 10:03 AM
Old 10-04-2009, 08:29 AM   #2085
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We came to a "intersection"

(not particularly helpful signage)

and stopped to de-fleece, and to eat some lunch... it was 12:40pm.

Not bad for the outback, eh?