User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #2101
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2009

Not the earliest start... but not bad. Wheels rolling 'round 8:20.

Today would take us from Plum Valley campground in Modoc NF, through another quagmire and re-route, up to rejoin the TAT in Ft. Bidwell, CA where we left off last May, fuel & provisions in Lakeview, OR, then northwest to camp again at Sandhill Crossing campground in the Freemont NF.

Click on the map to access a larger image (select X3, or O):

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #2102
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were already

at 5600ft,

so we didn't have much more to climb to start getting some great views [didn't turn out so well, but Mt. Shasta was WAY in the distance]:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-04-2009 at 04:46 PM
Old 10-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #2103
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It's amazing

what a nice campfire, a fine bottle of wine, and a good night's rest can do for the spirit.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #2104
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This was curious

Obsidian.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #2105
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Graduation Day

"and it struck me soon after we emerged from this quagmire that at the top of that hill she had somehow graduated as an adventure rider."

This was such a wonderful and telling comment. Loved it. It aptly describes a feeling we've all had about ourselves or seen in someone else. I'll drink to that.

The primo story continues. Thanks
Old 10-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #2106
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I thought it was going to be easy

Who'd have thunk?

We were following tracks I pulled off GpsXChange.com from Countdown's very own SMTS file he posted. Looking back on it now, there's a disclaimer that the route is for serious trail bikes. And it was first posted in 2005. And I'm not exactly sure how the tracks were generated... by actually riding the route, or by tracing it out on a computer.

In any case, like I said before, knowing (or at least thinking) that someone else had ridden the route we were on before can be a comfort... or a liability. I should have started to worry, when the road started looking like this... that we were entering.... [cue booming deep voice with lot's 'o reverb] "The Quagmire Zone"

Old 10-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #2107
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quagmire #2, Scenes 1 & 2

Set the location: Willow Creek. 5277ft. elevation. N41 51.638 W120 17.265

The problem:

The extent of the problem:

Old 10-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #2108
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quagmire #2, Scenes 3 & 4

The conflict:

The plan:

Old 10-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #2109
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quagmire #2, Scenes 5 & 6

Plan B go-around underway:

Plan B failed:

Old 10-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #2110
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quagmire #2, Scenes 7 & 8

Plan C conceived:

Plan C Honeybee set-up:

Old 10-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #2111
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quagmire #2, Scenes 9 & 10

Plan C... so far, so good:

Plan C, the Blueberry set-up:

Old 10-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #2112
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quagmire #2, Scene 11

The Crisis:

Old 10-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #2113
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quagmire #2, Scenes 12 & 13

The fight:

The surrender:

Old 10-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #2114
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quagmire #2, Scenes 14 & 15

The retreat:

Epilogue:

Old 10-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #2115
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quagmire #2, Stills, bloopers & out-takes

I KNEW this video thing was gonna save me a lot of typing!