User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #2116
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
The "big" go-around

ended up not involving pavement at all...

The initial failed go-around added a single mile to our day, and the eventual go-around cost us 6 miles... the total quagmire: 1 hour, 40 minutes... and one mirror.

All to connect a mere 1/4 mile.

This is what we saw on the other side:

and the GPS screen from there:

Almost 11am, and we've netted only 28 miles for the day... Oh well, at least nobody got hurt.

Looking at the topos, I knew there was more of the same between us and Fort Bidwell, so when I saw that Fandango Pass Road was in fact NOT paved,

I figured that would be a great way to bump us back on track.

And so it was.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #2117
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,340
Fantastic video sequence! I felt like I was right there with you, I was even holding my breath .
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #2118
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Fandango

A good name for a candy, I think.

It seems the pioneers preferred it to a quagmire as well (click the photo to access to a larger version "X3" or "O")

And it provided a nice view of the dry lake in Surprise Valley below.

We were re-entering familiar territory from M-3,

and it wasn't long before we were on the valley floor, heading for our rendezvous with the TAT.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #2119
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It has become tradition

when we leave the TAT to take a photo pointing in the direction we're leaving it...

[flashback to M-3 last May]

and then a new photo in the same spot, but pointing in the opposite direction when we return...

Since y'all have come along this far, why don't ya step in for this one?

Old 10-05-2009, 06:30 AM   #2120
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:42 AM   #2121
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,228
My thoughts on Videos

Videos are cool, but I find them a bit difficult to stop and watch. When I read ride reports, I kind of scan them and pull out the details as needed.
With the videos, I have to shut of the music, turn up the volume and listen carefully, and pay attention. (Here comes the ADD jokes)
Its good, and certainly different, but I feel like I am missing your after thoughts of what you recall about the segment. Sometimes the recollections are more fun then the actual adventures.
Its all good, carry on Garth !

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:57 AM   #2122
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,508

Great stuff!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #2123
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,345
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #2124
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
The coolest part in retrospect was that we were both in a "we can do this" adventure-mode. The one thing I really wasn't worrying about was LDF's ability to ride this terrain, and it struck me soon after we emerged from this quagmire that at the top of that hill she had somehow graduated as an adventure rider.

There was a day, when she couldn't ride the terrain, was afraid of breaking down, of getting lost, being too remote, of having to retrace, not willing to forge ahead, and now here we were, on nasty terrain, risking breakdowns, almost lost, remote as all get-out, and we were slogging through it shoulder to shoulder, not me pushing... we were still in her comfort zone (and barely in mine).

At this point in our travels, we've been tested. We've gotten lost, we've crashed, we've broken down, we've been remote, we've ridden over our heads, we've had to retrace, and reroute, and... and at the end of the day we get through it. Somehow it works out.
I had to cut/paste that section to my wife.

Probably too big to make my new sig, right? :)

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #2125
NittanyRider
Walking Contradiction

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
So here's the scoop, I did a quick search on Google, and Cal Pines is a planned community that has apparently failed to take root and flourish. Conceived in the late 70's (?), it is famous for having one of the worst infomercials ever, and later having Erik Estrada as a spokesperson. Some disgruntled landowners have a web site where they are planning a mutiny against the "property owners association", but it seems the lodge is still hosting all-expenses paid trips for prospective buyers to check the place out.

wow.

I grew up in Southern California and I can remember seeing the "California Pines" commercials on TV. To a kid who liked the outdoors, the images of tall pines, clear trout streams and solitude were very appealing. I bugged my parents constantly to buy into it, but they just didn't get it... or maybe they did!!!

Great RR, by the way.
NittanyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #2126
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,827
Thumb Quagmire scene's

Well alright!

I tell you, the videos have added a great dimension to this RR. I was huffing and puffing right there with you throughout the "quagmires".

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #2127
Whosoever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thanks for putting us in the picture!

Hey Doc and Franchine....this report is super...thanks for letting all of us be in your pic.......great spirit......first class presentation....thanks so much for taking the time to share you journey ....
Whosoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #2128
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourty2ri
Videos are cool, but I find them a bit difficult to stop and watch. When I read ride reports, I kind of scan them and pull out the details as needed.
With the videos, I have to shut of the music, turn up the volume and listen carefully, and pay attention. (Here comes the ADD jokes)
Its good, and certainly different, but I feel like I am missing your after thoughts of what you recall about the segment. Sometimes the recollections are more fun then the actual adventures.
Its all good, carry on Garth !
I have to agree with the last part David. Also, they don't play that well on my pc because it's way old so I mostly scroll past. The other thing for me on the vids is I get dizzy sometimes, especially when you glance off to the side while going down the road. I do that too but it always gets me seeing it from someone elses view. Carry on though, your comments are great just like they were in M1-3.

Stuart

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #2129
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyRider
I grew up in Southern California and I can remember seeing the "California Pines" commercials on TV. To a kid who liked the outdoors, the images of tall pines, clear trout streams and solitude were very appealing. I bugged my parents constantly to buy into it, but they just didn't get it... or maybe they did!!!

Great RR, by the way.
+1 but growing up in northern cali. was thinking the same thing. our family wound up getting property a bit south and west of that area, most of it seemed drier. i always asked why they didn't go with what officer Poncherello was selling.

great now i can't get the CHIP's theme music out of my head.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:14 AM   #2130
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Yes, mobile video updates. Unfortunately, the sound recording volume is lower than I'd hoped, and in reviewing all the video I shot, anytime I was moving faster than about 25mph, you can't hear what I'm saying at all.

By the way, there's a microphone mod that's been described for these cameras that puts the mic inside the helmet for much better audio. That's now on my "to do" list for Mobius-5.
Dr. Rock, can you point me to where this mod is? That's the only thing holding me back from getting a VholdR. I've had a helmetcam previously and can't live without the remote mic feature. Thanks!