Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2009, 07:53 AM   #2131
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW
Dr. Rock, can you point me to where this mod is? That's the only thing holding me back from getting a VholdR. I've had a helmetcam previously and can't live without the remote mic feature. Thanks!
The link to the mod is in post#2038 with a few other resources. I also placed the link in the original post of mine you quoted. I haven't gotten to doing the mod yet, it'll be a winter project.

Regarding inclusion of the video... there's been feedback both for and against.

I'm going to keep including it, but I'll try to be a little more clear when the clip truly adds nothing to the story and is just supplemental, and for those clips that do tell the story, I'll try to add some reflections as text as well.

In the Quagmire #2 sequence, I think Tammy got a sense of the drama / frustration, and Steve related to the physical energy expended, both of which I was able to convey with video in a way that would have been impossible with photos alone, and difficult without a lot of writing. And even the "it makes me dizzy" effect that Stu mentioned tells me that the vid conveys the reality in a way that still photos can not... it IS dizzying to ride along the edge of a drop-off like that while trying to snatch views of the landscape! FWIW, Francine's parent's have dial-up, so they aren't able to see any of the vids, and only half of the photos, so trust me... I recognize that there's value to the text.

Look, this is my first go at video and it definitely has room to be improved, but it wasn't a complete failure, and when I think to myself "when I read this RR in a couple of years will I want it included?", the answer is definitely "yes!". If you skip the vids you'll still get the gist of the trip, and I certainly won't be offended. Honestly, I skip most vids included in the RR's I read, so skip them or watch them, no worries.

If anyone has thoughts / suggestions / feedback regarding the vid clips, please feel free to PM me. The video technology is new to me and I'm still learning. Those who have already, thanks, I appreciate it.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #2132
boatanchor
boat anchor

Oddometer: 39
Words, pictures, videos......It's all good...

Keep it coming...

BA

BA
boatanchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #2133
kbear
Mudbiker

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock

If anyone has thoughts / suggestions / feedback regarding the vid clips, please feel free to PM me. The video technology is new to me and I'm still learning. Those who have already, thanks, I appreciate it.
DR,

I like the video input as it lends a perspective that photos alone can't provide in many cases. For example, in looking at the still photos of the "Quagmire" creek bed sequence, the steepness of the creek bank was not very apparent in the stills. I was not understanding why you didn't just ride up the bank. I come from a background that includes years of enduro riding, you see. But the video made it all too clear why. It was indeed a nasty, steep climb that would probably be very intimidating to a rider with less experience such as you and LDF. So, I guess when it comes to ride reports, it's better to have the vids and not need 'em than to need 'em and not have it. That's my $.02 worth. Carry on, great job!!!
kbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #2134
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,203
I am not against the videos, and do think they tell a good story. I was just sharing my perspective of them. I do like them, and do feel they ad a lot to the overall ride report.
And the one were your taking the second bike up the creek bed, and it went ass-ova-tea-kettle, well, that was classic. And your correct, it would not of came out the same with just still pictures. ( plus the choice words woulda disappeared).
Its all good
I followed along on the spot, and must say, for 2 NYfC FF's, you's 2 do an awesome job out in the wilderness.

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #2135
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back on the TAT

Hooking up with the TAT, I breathed a sigh of relief. Even though I knew that the Oregon TAT could be a bear to navigate, I'd been swapping known blocked locations, go-arounds, routes, and other intel with this summer's TAT riders, and I was pretty comfortable that we wouldn't be hitting any more quagmires.

The section up to Lakeview runs through a mix of forest,

(note -- just a taste of riding... no story-line content)

What I was yammering on about, I remember, though. I was describing this: One of my favorite things is what I'll call "a vaguely anticipated vista -- revealed", and I was hoping to capture the experience on video at some point. (I did eventually, but not here). What I mean is this: you're in the woods, you're climbing, you're hot, tired, hungry, dusty. You maybe are questioning your sanity. You glance down at the GPS. More climbing, more curves. You scan the road ahead. Loose, rutted, etc. You start to think... maybe this suffering will be rewarded by a nice view at the top. But it's more curves, more climbing. You resign yourself to focusing on the terrain below your wheels, and just enjoying the ride.

Then, all of a sudden, BAM! the whole world opens up to a spectacular view of whatever; the valley below, the next ridge, a snow-covered peak way in the distance, the ocean...., and it's all clear again, why we're doing this trip, this way. I wanted to try to capture that, and I've never been able to with still photos.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #2136
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We traversed

the Dismal Swamp area.

Nothing mandated regarding a soft or hard condition...

The miles passed quickly,

and once we got on the next transit section, which was wide, graded gravel, we started to make up time. Unfortunately, for several miles we got stuck behind a pick-up truck pulling a big horse trailer that was kicking up a tremendous amount of dust,

and we couldn't safely get past it, so we stopped for a little break at a trail-head parking area where there was a rest-room

And the next thing we knew, we were pulling into Lakeview, OR.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #2137
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was 1:30pm

and after filling up with gas, LDF went in to stock up on provisions (we even have a Mobius-only Safeway card)

While I stayed in the shade and scouted out a camping destination along our route on the GPS & maps.

By the time she returned with groceries for dinner and water for the camelbaks, and a sammich from the deli, I had chosen a few campgrounds an appropriate distance (I hoped) up the trail.

We transferred the evening's beverage (we always try to buy local when we can) from the glass bottle to the indispensible RumRunner flask,

and we hit the trail.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #2138
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Look, this is my first go at video and it definitely has room to be improved, but it wasn't a complete failure, and when I think to myself "when I read this RR in a couple of years will I want it included?", the answer is definitely "yes!". If you skip the vids you'll still get the gist of the trip, and I certainly won't be offended. Honestly, I skip most vids included in the RR's I read, so skip them or watch them, no worries.

i'd agree with the video aspect. it's great to have, and in alot of places, it helps tell the story. i feel that the idea of v-logging (your short updates riding & talking) are a great upgrade to an already epic thread... but a mic (of some kind, out of the wind) is sorely needed for next time.

keep the updates coming, we're all enjoying the journey!

Old 10-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #2139
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Leaving Lakeview,

Sam does his typical meandering around so as to include a half mile of dirt and avoid a half mile of pavement... unfortunately, since the TAT was laid out, some of these roads have been closed, and are now on private land. We had our first turn-around near a sawmill:

(Wish we had smell-o-vision technology NOW)

and when we found what we thought was the correct road here: N42 12.778 W120 21.919, LDF started to wick it up... for her .

I held back to stay out of her dust, and as I passed some houses, a landowner was running towards me waving his arms. I was a little ways past him by the time I ground to a stop, and he had started running back towards his ATV, apparently intending to chase me down.

I waited for him to run back to me, and I could see he was yelling. When he had slowed down a little, I held up my hand, and indicated that I couldn't hear him, and fumbled with my iPod.

"This is a private road, you guys come HOT-RODDING through here... people live here... we've had cats and dogs hit and killed.... there's a gate down there... didn't you see the sign???"

It didn't seem like he was going to kill me, so I let him go on for a bit. Go on, let it all out... get it off your chest, and then we can have a conversation.

Which we did. I apologized for that crazy woman's "hot-rodding". I told him I didn't think anyone had ever described her riding as hot-rodding, and laughed. He asked how where we were riding, (to the Pacific Ocean at Port Orford) and where we were from (New York City), and how we had come to choose this road (TAT, etc.) and honestly tried my best to be a good representative of the moto/ADV/Tat community. Eventually he calmed down and told me there was room to squeeze a bike around the left side of the gate, and I promised him I would post the exact location of what road NOT to take, and encourage other TAT riders to stay on Hwy 395 north out of Lakeview and then to turn left onto County Rd. 216 here: N42 16.861 W120 21.122 and bypass a mile or so of dirt road.

He flagged me down here: N42 15.919 W120 24.229 and the gate is here: N42 16.397 W120 24.318

Mission accomplished.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #2140
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The TAT north

out of Lakeview is a little reminiscent of NV,

Typical riding vid -- nothing special, no plot content:

but as the trail heads westward and skirts the Gearhart Mountain Wilderness, and Sycan river area of the Freemont N.F. the woods get thicker and thicker.

We started to see evidence of logging,

and other human activity,

Old 10-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #2141
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

There were animal tracks

cattle, NOT bear. But we didn't see any (of either).

We were aiming for two campgrounds that were near each other, and were relieved when we saw the sign pointing to them.

You may be wondering why we're so keen this Mobius trip to be staying in N.F. campgrounds whereas previously we had been content to cowboy camp wherever we got tired at the end of a day. Answer: fire restrictions. It's been a hot, dry summer, and there was a campfire ban nearly everywhere except for designated campgrounds. So if we wanted a campfire (we did), we'd have to find a campground.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #2142
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,429
Okay

I'm all caught up!

You may now continue. Love that you two share your adventures with us.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #2143
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Campground choices

So we get to the crossroads. Sandhill Crossing is to our left about a mile, and Lee Thomas is to our right about a half mile so we head to Lee Thomas first.

for reasons that I'll show in the next video (and explain afterwards), we back-tracked,

and tried

This is what we found:

Both campgrounds had been essentially clear cut. Since it was already after 5pm, we didn't have any better options.

These were our stats for the day,

and the elevation profile:

Old 10-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #2144
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sandhill Crossing

was not completely without merit,

from certain angles, it was downright pretty.

especially down by the stream (Cold Creek)

We washed up, (or at least I think I washed up )

Saw some deer,

Had a nice dinner, wine, campfire, hot cocoa with bourbon, and then tucked in for a chilly night.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #2145
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:

He flagged me down here: N42 15.919 W120 24.229 and the gate is here: N42 16.397 W120 24.318
Nuts, He saw MaverickChick and I late Aug. We turned around at the open gate here N42 15.900 W120 24.222, and rode slow back to the Asphalt(we didn't talk to him). Did he say how many groups of travelers he saw over the summer? I'm sure lots of TAT trips happen that we don't see on these page's. This was our 1st of 2 turn around points in Oregon. BigWan and crew took a digger(2up) near here into a hole dug by a back hoe, I'm guessing: N42 13.621 W120 22.612 before the turn onto the dirt road. This spot has tripped up many TAT riders. I did LOL for a moment.

Great RR, Thanks for sharing, and the HD video looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

NOTAR_520 screwed with this post 10-06-2009 at 02:55 PM
NOTAR_520 is offline   Reply With Quote