Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
ruley OP
regestered lurker

Oddometer: 44
f8gs bash plate with sw-motech crash bars??

G'day lads, wondering what model bash plates you all have fitted up with the sw-motech crash bars?? I have the bars already, and want a big ass bash plate to fit, seems to me the avd-spec may not fit which is my prefered option or the 3DX motorradical one??

so....what you all got??
ruley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 815
I've got the BMW pan. Works fine with the SW Motech bars, might not be gnarly enough for you, though.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
ruley OP
regestered lurker

i like the bmw one too, but it's fuggin expensive here
Old 10-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
BMW almost gave me mine when i got the bike and i like it. They are solid too mines been over a fair few fallen trees now and is holding its shape fairly well.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
I've got the SW Motech one.
Seems to do the job

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
Denalidirt
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 828
I've seen this

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/56209...45247237_rXhaB
This looks like a sold set up I'm not sure how a skid plate would match up
Denalidirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:17 AM   #7
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
BMW bashplate

I'm on my third BMW bashplate. The first one had a couple of welds split when a rock came in "contact" with it. The second one was mangled when going down a road full of washouts, the bottom of the plate was almost touching the case to the point where it was fairly hard to take off.

The third one I had to pay for and already has a couple of good dents in it after a couple of rides.

It does the job, it's just not that rugged. If they build it so it's tougher, it would probably damage the case as it's mounted to it with those rubber isolators.
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,112
AdvSpec plate won't fit with SWMoto Bars. BMW plate does. SWMoto plate does as well, but I prefer the BMW.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
I've got the Moose Racing skid plate. Works great with my Motech enging guards.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
wonky
Team F5 !

Oddometer: 471
adventure-spec bash plate

we made the bash plate first and then realised it wouldnt work with any other crashbars.
We then had to make crashbars to work with our guard, but after extensive feedback our 'cosmetic' bars seem to have surprising effe ctiveness in impacts....... (there are quite a few threads of big on road smashes on here, but the last on on this thread is the biggest we know of)
we havent had a single return on our bash plates after over 300 sold.
we had a few early issues with packing the crash bars and marking them (11 transfers between vehicles on any trans-atlantic shipment!), but have got that well sorted now and have over 400 sets out there.
when we get emails like the one below, it makes it all worthwhile...

"I don't know if you even pay attention to this kind of mails, and since you probably have more important mails to attend to, i'll try and make it short!

My name is $^^$&)", and i own a F800GS with a couple of your aftermarket part's, between them, ADV-Spec crashbars, and bashplate, wich have been doing they'r job beyond my expectations, plenty of dirt crashes, and not one scratch.

But this time was different, a head-on collision into a car (Audi A4 touring)!
Not only i survived, i merely got a scratch, and if it weren't for the crash bars, i would have my leg completely crushed (instead i just got projected), might have even died.
Next day i was as good as new, much better than the car driver anyway.
The radiator was the only visible damage to the bike, besides some plastic and gear leaver, and you can see from the pictures how violent the collision was.
Notice how the crash bars fixations were bent (both sides of the bike actually, altough the right side of the bike didn't have one scratch)

So thank you.
Thank you for dedicating time on developing truly effective crash bars, that go much further than the other brands go in terms of protection, for the rider and bike.
If today i can walk, it's thank to you guy's.
Thank you

Once i recover my bike from the accident (BMW ain't cheap!), you'll definetly be getting an order from me.

Sorry for my bad English and even worst cellphone pictures, i had better angles, butt with all the adrenaline they got all shaky.
Thank you again!
$^^$&)"

another one........

"Hi Chris,

After 4 months and 21,000 miles I’m back in the UK after successfully going round the world. This email is really just to let you know that the engine bars did their job perfectly both for me and the other users on the trip. Between us we had five bikes using your bars and we tested all 5 sets repeatedly. From no speed topples to 100mph down the road after hitting a goose (no honestly) they protected the bikes fabulously. The Goose incident wore so far through the tubing it blued in the centre but still protected the bike. The only damage that did get through was when one guy went wide on a bend and ground the bike along a concrete barrier until it hit a bit sticking out. He and the bike went flying in different directions and the bars were hit so hard they folded backwards and the lower mounting plate punctured the alternator casing. As we were in Russia we found a guy who welded up the casing and straightened up the bars until they fitted back on. Everyone agreed that his leg and half the bike would have been missing if it wasn’t for the bars so they did an amazing job.

I was hoping to offer you the bike for the Dirt Bike Show if you wanted it but it looks like they won’t get to Southampton until October 31st and they will still need to clear Customs so it would be a bit tight. Let me know if you would like it and I’ll make some noise with the shippers.

Regards

"$)&$)*"

I know this probably seems like shameless self promotion of our products(and im sure a mod might scrub this post), but we're really proud to get feedback like this.

Its feels good that we may have had a positive influence on someones life and spurs us on to make other new products!
The main thing I'm into is going about on a bike, taking random routes; I'm really into the idea of making up journeys, and just seeing where they take you, because they always end up taking you someplace freaky.
Tom Jenkinson (squarepusher)

KLIM in the UK
Giantloop in Europe
adventure-spec
F800GS Crashbars
Yamaha Tenere Parts
KTM 690 Adventure-Spec Parts
KTM LC8 Adventure and SE Skidplate
wonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
ruley OP
regestered lurker

thanks for the replies, if i didn't already have the motech bars i would be opting for the adv spec setup, but, i do and have had from the start, it's a shame they don't match up. i'm still trying to get a look at the 3DX motorradical one but limited photo's are about, the BMW is one of the "nicest" but dear as poison and it look to good to bash up.

what to do.....