Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #2146
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock

I held back to stay out of her dust, and as I passed some houses, a landowner was running towards me waving his arms. I was a little ways past him by the time I ground to a stop, and he had started running back towards his ATV, apparently intending to chase me down.

I waited for him to run back to me, and I could see he was yelling. When he had slowed down a little, I held up my hand, and indicated that I couldn't hear him, and fumbled with my iPod.

"This is a private road, you guys come HOT-RODDING through here... people live here... we've had cats and dogs hit and killed.... there's a gate down there... didn't you see the sign???"

It didn't seem like he was going to kill me, so I let him go on for a bit. Go on, let it all out... get it off your chest, and then we can have a conversation.

Which we did. I apologized for that crazy woman's "hot-rodding". I told him I didn't think anyone had ever described her riding as hot-rodding, and laughed. He asked how where we were riding, (to the Pacific Ocean at Port Orford) and where we were from (New York City), and how we had come to choose this road (TAT, etc.) and honestly tried my best to be a good representative of the moto/ADV/Tat community. Eventually he calmed down and told me there was room to squeeze a bike around the left side of the gate, and I promised him I would post the exact location of what road NOT to take, and encourage other TAT riders to stay on Hwy 395 north out of Lakeview and then to turn left onto County Rd. 216 here: N42 16.861 W120 21.122 and bypass a mile or so of dirt road.

He flagged me down here: N42 15.919 W120 24.229 and the gate is here: N42 16.397 W120 24.318

Mission accomplished.
D

We ran down the same road a week after you but I guess we were to early for him to see us. We did not go around the first gate we enter that road off County Road 2-18. However we did have to go around the gate at the end.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #2147
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Private road and gates

I didn't write up this road in my list of reroutes - you gotta be able to handle SOME challenges!
Here is the list of my reroutes.....
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=398452&page=4

It was gated closed on the southern end in Oct '07 and again in Aug '09.

It was open at the country road, but there was a new sign saying in big letters 'Private Road' in Aug '09.

And yes, you can get around the gate on the north end fairly easily.

The big thing - that we should ALWAYS practice - is when we ride by someones house, we should ride like we would want someone else to ride by our houses.

In other words - TAKE IT EASY!!!!!!

The amount of time we save by zipping by somebodies house is more than offset by the time it takes to figure out the new road closures caused by somebody zipping by somebody else's house! LOL....

Carry on.... carry on....
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #2148
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler
The big thing - that we should ALWAYS practice - is when we ride by someones house, we should ride like we would want someone else to ride by our houses.

The amount of time we save by zipping by somebodies house is more than offset by the time it takes to figure out the new road closures caused by somebody zipping by somebody else's house! LOL....

Carry on.... carry on....
I agree with ya and we slowed down at all the homes along the trail, besides there wasn't that many.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #2149
RenoDeano
High Desert Drifter

Oddometer: 99
LDF and the Bears

Was really getting a chuckle out of LDF hauling A.. after seeing the bear. Very good reaction. My initial training was worth it, right.

In my RR I recommended taking the highway out of town a few miles instead of going though the gates and properties near Lakeview.

Dean

Plated 2009 Husaberg FE 570, Plated 2001 DRZ 400E; 2006 DR650;1972 Yamaha CT2, 2007 400 & 800 CanAm Outlander.

Member of the Dust Devils MC of Reno Nevada. Home of the annual Ride Reno 200 Dual Sport Ride.

http://www.dustdevilsmc.com/forum/index.php
RenoDeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:13 AM   #2150
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler

The irony is that of all the people I have ever ridden with, LDF is the absolute LAST person who could ever be accused of "hot-rodding"!

Me on the other hand...

She ALWAYS takes it easy (especially if there's any risk from oncoming traffic, or blind curves, or potential livestock, etc.)... and that's not a criticism, 'cause she can still lay down more miles by the end of the day than most "hot-rodders". How? Start early, keep moving, minimize breaks, ride late, and DON'T CRASH.

But yeah, the guy seemed pretty traumatized from all the traffic over the summer. Or he was tightly wound by nature.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:15 AM   #2151
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoDeano
Was really getting a chuckle out of LDF hauling A.. after seeing the bear. Very good reaction. My initial training was worth it, right.
Dean
NO! You're the one who started her "bearanoia" that lasted almost the entire trip!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-07-2009, 05:21 AM   #2152
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The next morning,

we awoke to frost!

Nothing a little hot oatmeal and coffee couldn't cure

We waited for the sun to dry out the tent fly, and started rolling around just shy of 8:30am.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:34 AM   #2153
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
NO! You're the one who started her "bearanoia" that lasted almost the entire trip!

I wondered about that. This picture above is bear poop. But I think the stuff on the road/video (where LDF saw the bear) was horse poop (AKA tasty bear snacks).

So I've been wondering if RenoDeano taught LDF to identify horse poop or perhaps ALL poop as bear poop??? Has he been snickering about it all along?
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:39 AM   #2154
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2009

A day which took us from Sandhill Crossing Campground, north through the Sycan marsh area, to Silverlake, OR then west through Deschutes and Winema N.F.'s to Crescent/Gilchrist, OR

(Click on the map to access larger versions, X3 or O sizes)

Old 10-07-2009, 06:39 AM   #2155
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,713
Quote:
But yeah, the guy seemed pretty traumatized from all the traffic over the summer. Or he was tightly wound by nature.
Another possibility is a bit of both. As I have been seeing in my investigation of the anti-noise crowd's activities, some are so sensitive and bothered by it (might be unfair to call that "tightly wound") that they will move to the middle of nowhere in the hopes of finding peace and quiet. Frequently they discover they have merely traded urban noise for modern-day suburban or rural noise, that motor vehicle noise has somehow followed them, etc.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:45 AM   #2156
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,641
>"Both campgrounds had been essentially clear cut. "

May have been for fire protection. It looks like there is a huge proportion of beetle-killed trees in that area. Once a fire gets started in that stuff, the place goes up like tinder.
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:03 AM   #2157
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Today

was classic TAT. There's a rhythm to it... a technical "special" section, and just as you're starting to think you'll never get through it, an easy "transit" section... repeat. Then, just as you get complacent, another special. Throw into the mix a gas / food oasis, and a couple scenic and historical points of interest, and you've got yourself a day on the TAT.

The theme for the day was sand & dust. LDF struggled with the former, and I with the latter.

We started with a transit:

Followed by a special, transitioning to another liason:

The temps warmed quickly, and by mid-morning we were in the mid 60's.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-07-2009 at 08:14 AM
Old 10-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #2158
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The next special

was a power-line road. There was a larger graded road that followed a gentle "S" route that the power-line crossed several times. Here's the commentary, (text summary below)

Basically, having a technical section so nearby to an obviously easier bypass isn't ideal. I mean, if you're going to suffer, there should be some reward. Yes, the technical riding can be fun... but hey, there's plenty to go around... to be gratifying, it has to have some other purpose -- to get across a river without having to go 30 miles out of the way to cross at the highway bridge, to summit a pass that affords fabulous views not obtainable on pavement, etc.

So when Sam routes the TAT onto technical trails within eyesight of an easier bypass, I feel a little silly. My compromise is to ride some of it to make sure that we're not missing a hero section where the difficulty itself is worth it, and then at that point, cut ahead to the more remote, scenic terrain.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 AM   #2159
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAR_520
Nuts, He saw MaverickChick and I late Aug. We turned around at the open gate here N42 15.900 W120 24.222, and rode slow back to the Asphalt(we didn't talk to him). Did he say how many groups of travelers he saw over the summer? I'm sure lots of TAT trips happen that we don't see on these page's. This was our 1st of 2 turn around points in Oregon. BigWan and crew took a digger(2up) near here into a hole dug by a back hoe, I'm guessing: N42 13.621 W120 22.612 before the turn onto the dirt road. This spot has tripped up many TAT riders. I did LOL for a moment.

Great RR, Thanks for sharing, and the HD video looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeup.
We did the same road out of Lake View.
Rode though the first open gate, slow past the house, and detoured left around the post and gate at the north end.
Just followin' the GPS.

Besides, how you "Close" a public road?
Q~
Questor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #2160
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The next section

Sam put us on a decommissioned railroad bed.

On the Topo 2008 maps, it's labeled as the Weyerhaeuser Timber Co. Railroad. Turns out, this rail line was built in 1909, and was part of one of the largest logging rail lines, and the last to be used in OR, ceasing operations in 1990.

For much of it's history, the "Woods Line" was owned and operated by the Weyerhaeuser Timber Company. There are some excellent web pages tracing out the history of the line.

This one is on trainweb, someone else has another here, and there was a recent news story (with a 6min video).

As I was riding, it occurred to me that I had a personal connection to Weyerhaeuser. It was the company my father worked for in Chicago in it's paper products division when I was a child. If I recall correctly, I even got some scholarship money for college from them. Chicago is a far cry from these northwest woods, but it was neat to consider that in the 70's and 80's, maybe when this line was active, our family's paycheck was coming from paper products perhaps derived from lumber that was harvested in this area, and transported on the very rail bed beneath my wheels. I wanted to record some of this section, and look up the history for myself in a little more detail, 'cause I thought it might be interesting to my dad... so, hi Dad, enjoy. (sorry if the rest of you are bored )