boatanchor
boat anchor

Oddometer: 39
Closing public roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor
Besides, how you "Close" a public road?
Q~

Shoot...they do it all the time in Virginia....the state only maintains part of the road and the rest of the road gets overgrown or in bad shape. The next thing you know, the person that owns the property on both sides of the road has put a gate across at each end of their property with "No trespassing signs"...and then road is closed for good....

BA

BA
boatanchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #2162
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
The trail

had several berms plowed up to prevent vehicles from entering. We took the opportunity at one set of them to de-fleece, as the temperature was now in the low 80's.

Even though there are knobby tracks over the berms, there were easy go-arounds through the woods.

Eventually, the Weyerhaeuser line connected with the OC&E trail,

and then soon after we were back on Forest Service roads.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #2163
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Once we were

off the rail line,

the rest of the way to Silverlake

was a pretty uneventful, but dusty

transit section.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #2164
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sam's route

into Silverlake throws you on a loop that is blocked by a known closed road. One option is to simply stay on the main road into town, there are a couple of cut-offs that will join up with his route that take you through some ranch land that is reminiscent of Nevada. Since I didn't have the video cam in Nevada, I wanted to record some of the two-track riding through sage brush that went on for days and days across the Great Basin.

soon, we spit back onto the main road into Silverlake.

It was downright HOT in that valley.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #2165
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We didn't spend long

in Silverlake.

Gas, snack, water and go.

Looking at the maps, it seemed like we had a pretty good shot at making it to Crescent, OR where we'd try to get a hotel room because, on account of the dust during the day, and camping at night, we were way overdue for a little personal hygiene.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #2166
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Leaving Silverlake

A short paved transit section,

And then turn left at the cemetery...

does anyone have an exact count of how many times on the TAT you're instructed to "turn left at the cemetery"? It must be in the hundreds.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #2167
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

After crossing

Paulina Marsh, we jumped right into a special section. This was just a good example of what I mean. It's nothing extraordinarily difficult, but it does require concentration, standing on the pegs, and while you always want to go faster, I am continuously asking myself... "how fast do I want to crash here?" And then I slow down some.

You can actually hear my voice pretty well at this speed.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #2168
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was as if

we had re-entered the Great Basin. The trail was sandy and dry, and LDF was struggling. Sand is not her favorite.

The Scala intercoms are great in the wide open, 'cause the connection is strong, and I can fall back a ways out of the dust, and we can still talk. When I realized she was starting to get frustrated (and overheated), I tried to do some coaching. At the end of this vid, she pulls off a really nice save.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #2169
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

There's a saying in trauma

"all bleeding eventually stops"

Likewise on the TAT, all special sections eventually end. After about 45 minutes or an hour of slogging through the two-track hot sandy valley, we started to climb out of it, entered the Freemont N.F. and picked up a proper forest service road.

This is a good example of transit section riding:

Old 10-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #2170
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Pissed bleeding

"all bleeding eventually stops"

In the OR ,using cautery, we say "charcol doesn't bleed". Must be why they clear the brush from around camp sites.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #2171
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Unfortunately

even though the road was wider, and no longer two-track with sagebrush nipping at your heels...

It was still silt-sandy:

LDF was still struggling... not so much unable to ride it, just spending WAY too much of her own energy doing so, and not letting the bike do it's job, and then:

BTW, sometimes (especially when she's getting frustrated ), we take a break with the Scalas and go to music, even if it's a technical section. It's a safety measure, for our relationship... like boxers being sent to neutral corners before someone gets hurt. We weren't connected for this clip, so she couldn't hear my commentary. 'Till now.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #2172
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Vaguely anticipated vista revealed...

NOT! This was a clip from an attempt to show a great view revealed following a longish climb through the woods... Unfortunately, the woods were too thick, and we dropped down again before you could really get a sense of the big picture of the mountains we were in.

Note: just riding... no real content, skip at will.

this is the only glimpse I got of the next ridge:

It was interesting, because when we'd pass an area that had been clearcut, you could see that the topography was similar to what we had crossed in NV -- basin / valley followed by range / ridge, but with all the trees, it felt totally different, almost claustrophobic at times. (especially for those suffering from bearanoia.)

Old 10-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #2173
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Continuing

through the sand slog, the terra a little more firma at times...

but kicking up the dust all the same...

Speaking of bearanoia, I had a theory why LDF was having trouble in the sand: She was continually scanning the ground for bear poop, and bear tracks. I tried to keep reminding her to keep her eyes up, where the trail vanished around the next bend, and not to focus directly in front of her front wheel... "You want me to ignore THOSE???" she asked, incredulously... "You can't fool me, those are BEAR TRACKS!!!"

"c'mon," I said, "we haven't seen any bear crap for days"

Well, just up the road...

Old 10-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #2174
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Can't hear a word I was saying

It's just wind noise, 'cause I was wicking it up to try and catch LDF. This stretch reminded me a lot of Nova Scotia. You can tell we're getting closer to civilization, (Crescent, anyway) 'cause there are piles of cut trees.

This clip has no story content... if you insist on watching it, turn the volume down, it's just wind noise. Unless you like that sort of thing.

I was sort of just rambling, I think... recapping the day, what our plan was for the evening. Oh, I just remembered! We had gotten some whiffs of smoke, and it was getting stronger, and we were curious if we were riding into a forest fire.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #2175
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

So we flounder

a bit getting into Gilchrist / Crescent. We get shut out of the same hotel that Big&LittleWan had issues at, and ended up snagging a perfectly good room across the street. Huge props to Eric at the Crescent Motel. I think it's the perfect place to stay if you're riding the TAT. It's comfortable, the price is right, and it's clean, but not so clean that you feel bad if you track in a little dust from the trail.

It was early enough that we could get some chores done; LDF's bike was running a little rough, (ominous foreshadowing), and we figured the air filters were well past due to be cleaned.

My camera battery charger plug was not working despite the new fuse, so I disassembled it and spliced it into LDF's cell phone usb cord to create "Fugly von Franken-charger"

It looked better after a couple of these