User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #2176
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Dinner at the Mohawk Restaurant & Lounge

I think we were the only guests at the Crescent Motel.

We walked across the street

(stumbled, actually) to the Mohawk Restaurant & Lounge

Got a chuckle to see a huge semi-trailer parked right in front of The Snooty Woodsman Motel, obscuring their "no-room-for-you, smelly-biker" sign.

I loved it.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #2177
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Click on any image for a bigger version

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #2178
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our meals were delicious

Meatloaf for me

Liver & Onions (!) for LDF:

Old 10-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #2179
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our stats

for the day:

and the elevation profile:

Old 10-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #2180
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock

Well, just up the road...

Holy smokes! I thought for SURE that cow was going to change lanes into your track... whew!
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #2181
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Thursday, Sept. 17, 2009

The day we started heading southwest, had an encounter with a forest fire, saw the Tallest Sugar Pine, got gas and provisions in Tiller, OR, and camped at Devil's Flat in the Umpqua N.F.

(Click on image for access to a larger version -- X3 or O)

Old 10-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #2182
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Tracks on the trail

A shout out and thanks to everyone who's gone before us on these trails, and then reached out across time and electrons to give us a hand on our trip(s), we're riding in your tracks:

I shot this clip in one take, so of course I failed to mention a ton of people ... So I'm just going to add to this post as I remember those who've helped us with routing, scouting, advice, support, authored TAT ride reports, or otherwise assisted, motivated or inspired Mobius.

In no particular order:

Thank you Sam,
Thank you gaspipe,
Thank you DockingPilot,
Thank you NorthernTraveler,
Thank you TrailAce,
Thank you VFR870!!!,
Thank you Speez,
Thank you Urban Cowboy,
Thank you RenoDeano,
Thank you Katoomon,
Thank you John_L,
Thank you Jet Doctor,
Thank you Big & Little Wan,
Thank you Taco250,
Thank you Bonnie & Hayduke,
Thank you Questor & Motoadventuregal,
Thank you XC rider,
Thank you Notar & Mav,
Thank you Neduro,
Thank you Nichelob,
Thank you Vinnie the Snake & the Vintage crew,
Thank you BigDog,
Thank you what have i got into,
Thank you Motor1,
Thank you Brent4ADV,
Thank you Gaprunr,
Thank you RandomAussie,
Thank you BlueLghtning,
Thank you benh,
Thank you quasi_inrem,
Thank you SalsaBoy,
Thank you dwj - Donnie,
Thank you Black06LJ,
Thank you Seth S,
Thank you ROD CURRIE,
Thank you Austin Vince,
Thank you metaljocky,

ETC!
Old 10-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #2183
Black06LJ
ZRX1200R Thrasher

Oddometer: 300
What an awesome adventure you two are sharing with us! Thank you so much for taking the time to put it down for all to enjoy. I am really enjoying the videos as well. It is nice to hear your voices, and so much is conveyed that we all can just feel like we are there. I have found myself holding my breath at times and howling with laughter at others. So far the Cow Passing Incident is my fav! I am still chuckling about it! I was so sure you were gonna get taken out by Bessy!
Your thanks is appreciated, but so unneeded. I was honored to help you all when you were here last fall and wish I could have ridden farther (all the way) with you guys.
Just keep on posting these reports and hurry up! Just kidding. I look forward to catching up with your epic adventure each day after work!

Thanks Doc n LDF!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #2184
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,058
The Woodsman Hotel in Cresent

We were 'actively discouraged' by the owner of the Woodsman Hotel from staying there as well.

Strange business plan...

One part of me takes pride in being so 'grungey' that they won't let me in.
The other part of me wants to set up an ADVrider boycott and picket that hotel out of business.

In sum, Woodsman Hotel.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #2185
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It looked to be

nice weather, and we were getting a fairly early start, but it was chilly.

You could see smoke in the distance, and the smell was getting stronger as we rode along.

There was still plenty of dust, as we ascended Windigo pass road,

The woods got thicker as we neared the top,

and I thought I might capture a "vaguely anticipated vista revealed" just over the pass, or around a bend... a little ways later I turned on the video camera, but unfortunately, there was no spectacular views to be had... only brief glimpses of the distance through breaks in the trees.

I include this video for no good reason, only for myself to review when I'm old and decrepit and need help wiping the drool off my chin. It has no redeeming value, skip it at will.

After I stopped video recording, (of course), I was treated to some nice ones:

Not spectacular,

but not bad either,

all in all,

not a bad way to start the morning.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:23 PM   #2186
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This was easy riding

and we were making good time,

The valleys were still a whole lot colder than the higher elevations,

LDF was glad to be done with the silty sand for the time being,

We were listening to music, but every once in awhile we'd cut in and ask "does that smoke seem thicker to you?"

Or, "is that fog burning off, or smoke?"

Then the wind would shift, or we'd roll around a curve and the smell would almost disappear. Nice fall colors:

Old 10-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #2187
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As we climbed

Rhododendron Ridge, this is what met us:

We had a conversation with the guy in the video above (who was smoking a cigarette, and we swear we both saw him flick it out of his hands into the gravel as we drove up). The gal who seemed to be in charge, came over to chat as well.

They told us the road we wanted was closed, and that NF-28 would take us to Tiller, but it became paved at some point before getting there. So I scrolled around on the GPS, and scoped out the maps, and figured we might be able to get around the fire by paralleling the TAT on NF-28 to the south, and at some point before Tiller, cut back north to rejoin the TAT route past the fire. That was the plan, anyway.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-10-2009 at 10:22 AM
Old 10-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #2188
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,692
>"Liver & Onions (!) for LDF:"

What!!! That puts LDF over the top.
Rides, fearless (except for bears), gorgeous AND likes liver and onions?

er.... does she have a sister?
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #2189
Black06LJ
ZRX1200R Thrasher

Oddometer: 300
Old 10-09-2009, 11:43 PM   #2190
jetdoctor
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 159
Hi Doc and LDF,
Hopefully I left you some good tracks to follow. I spent the last couple of days in Oregon sliding around the gravel corners and turning the brake rotors blue. It was usually obvious which way to go by following other people's tracks.
I am enjoying your r/r as usual. I have been waiting to see what happens next. I was following along when you had the problem. Unfortunately, I was working and did not see that you were broken down until after you were going again. Nice savel.

Cheers,
Doug

See my Pictures at:
http://www.pbase.com/jetdoctor
jetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote