User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
robhar54 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
F800GS heated grips

I'd like to switch to ProGrip 714s on my F800GS with heated grips. Anyone had their heated grips off yet? Are the heating elements integral to the grips, or under the grips like the Dual-Star kit? IOW, can I replace the stock grips and retain the heating?

I had 714s on my Multi. They're super comfy. I'm hoping doing this will help with the increased vibes from the BMW handguards.

Rob in Seattle
Old 11-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
When I asked the local dealer about the grips (I made a list so I wouldn't forget anything) he said they were in the grips, not the stick on tape sort. Which disappointed me. I suspect you now feel the same... I prefer choices.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
robhar54 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
When I asked the local dealer about the grips (I made a list so I wouldn't forget anything) he said they were in the grips, not the stick on tape sort. Which disappointed me. I suspect you now feel the same... I prefer choices.
That's what I was thinking would be the case...since my R80G/S grips were like that...but on the R1150GS they are NOT in the grips. At least so said a friend of mine with an 1150GS who changed out his heated grips just fine. I couldn't see an obvious wire coming out of the grip itself. I'll have to look again in daylight. Whenever we next get some here in Seattle.

Rob in Seattle
Old 11-19-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
robhar54 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bump. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Rob in Seattle
Old 11-20-2008, 06:27 AM   #5
jessehere
Ridin'

Oddometer: 763
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...p?mospid=50779

check this diagrami
jessehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhar54
Bump. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Rob in Seattle
Not quite the same as I had no heated grips on my HP2 Megamoto, but the grips are the same type of bonded construction to plastic tubes, as the other 800/1200 models .

I managed to cut them off, fit Symtec grip heater kit and 1150 style grips

More details here, hope it's of some help.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=11
Old 11-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
robhar54 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks all!

I did find more info here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90799

and here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408055

No one I know of has done it on a F800GS yet, but looking at the parts diagram above, likely it's the same system as the heated grips on the 1150GS, MegaMoto, HP2 and so on.

I'm looking to reduce vibration in my throttle hand, to which I am particularly susceptible due to some nerve weirdness in my right arm. I'm going to try Grip Puppies first, along with changing to the TT handguards, which use the stock bar end weights. (The BMW handguards replace the steel weights with aluminum ones.) Then if that doesn't work I'll try a liquid Bar Snake. And as a last resort, replace the underlying grips using the techniques described in the first thread above.

Rob in Seattle
Old 11-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Thanks all!

I did find more info here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90799

and here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408055

No one I know of has done it on a F800GS yet, but looking at the parts diagram above, likely it's the same system as the heated grips on the 1150GS, MegaMoto, HP2 and so on.

I'm looking to reduce vibration in my throttle hand, to which I am particularly susceptible due to some nerve weirdness in my right arm. I'm going to try Grip Puppies first, along with changing to the TT handguards, which use the stock bar end weights. (The BMW handguards replace the steel weights with aluminum ones.) Then if that doesn't work I'll try a liquid Bar Snake. And as a last resort, replace the underlying grips using the techniques described in the first thread above.

Rob in Seattle
The 1150 type grips are different to the later 800/1200 type, the ones shown in your two links above have the 1150 type grips that are removable, the later 800/1200 type are bonded right through. I had to slice mine of in pieces, bit by bit.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #9
robhar54 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar
The 1150 type grips are different to the later 800/1200 type, the ones shown in your two links above have the 1150 type grips that are removable, the later 800/1200 type are bonded right through. I had to slice mine of in pieces, bit by bit.
Oh--ugh. I'll try the other approaches first for sure then. Thanks for the clarification.

Rob in Seattle
Old 11-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 277
Laugh No guts no glory

Quote:
Oh--ugh. I'll try the other approaches first for sure then. Thanks for the clarification.

Rob in Seattle
The 714 came in today. I got off work early today. only one thing left to do. Out came the box cutter with a new blade. I now have new plush grips on my 800. It was no big deal at all. First I cut through the thick part of the grip(at the thumb) , then I pulled the cut end to the side, carefully cutting along the length of the grip.It's important to pull the lose end away from the cut. This lets the last mil of the grip tear, so you don't have to cut so deep. There are exposed wires at the start and the heating grid is right at the surface. If you are not careful you could cut the wires or the grid. The older style grips as on my PD have the wires buried. Less care was needed when I did these.10 min....done.
CISCO
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:33 AM   #11
amycyclenut
faster dammit

Oddometer: 109
I changed the grips on my F658 last night, from stocker to the BMW ribbed grips (p/n 32721458396). I ordered two throttle side grips. I found it easiest to start cutting and then pulling from the outside end of the bar. Once off, for the first one I submerged the grip in soapy water (very "light" on the soap) and then just started twisting it on. For the second grip, I realized compressed air was an option so used that method. Both worked equally well. No issues at all.
1974 CB450
1970 CB350
amycyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:50 AM   #12
Heos racer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
My solution to add thickness and keep the heating grips in place:
Heos racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #13
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Someone, somewhere had mentioned (with Pics) an easy and quick solution was a pair of motocross foam grips. After he cut off the ends, he was able to slip them over the existing and, viola, comfort and a larger grip.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #14
amycyclenut
faster dammit

Oddometer: 109
You can also use O-rings and slip about 30 of them over the grip, tried that too. Also used grip puppies (or whatever they are called). Problem for me, they made the grip too large. I have small hands, so I really needed something in the middle, or really, just something a little bigger than stock and the BMW ribbed grips seemed to be the ticket (especially since I could buy two right side grips instead of two sets of another brand).

Lots of options, depending on your preference.
1974 CB450
1970 CB350
amycyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote