ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
vuganeja OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 71
F650GS low suspension and leg comfort question while riding.

Hello Folks,
a n00b and a first post here. I'm looking to transitioin to a 2010 F650GS, after 10 years on a VFR saddle. I did sit on a couple of 650s at the dealership.
I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam.

the low seat/low suspension set up, can comfortably get me flat feet(or more) o n the ground. The std suspension/low seat, gets half of my foot on the ground.

My concern is with the low suspension/ low seat, how much of a inconvinience would it be, for the legs on long haul rides.

I'm looking for some guidance/advice on which way I'm supposed to go.
thanks!
karthik
vuganeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer
 
Firefight911's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Folsom, CA
Oddometer: 997
The suspension will have no merit on your riding position.

That being said, do everything you can to go with the standard suspension. You will appreciate it if you do anything off road, even fire trails.

A VFR has a tighter cockpit than the F650GS. My guess is that you will feel much better, leg wise, with the F650GS.

My thoughts, YMMV, $02.
__________________
Ride Safe, Ride Often, RIDE!!!!
Firefight911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
markymcd
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
I'm 5'6" and I ordered the low seat and regular suspension.... they messed up and sent the low suspension option which I didn't notice until I bought a centre stand for it about a year later.

After they tried to charge me to put it back to regular suspension which is what I ordered I finally got them to do it no charge. Go figure them wanting me to pay for their fuck up but that's another story.

So, bottom line is I got to ride it quite a while with low suspension and then back to regular. I am not flat footed but I would HIGHLY recommend avoiding low suspension if you can. Even the road handling and performance is far better with regular suspension.

Hope this helps,
Mark
__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
vuganeja OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 71
Thank you both for the quick responses! I didn't realise that a low suspension would have so much more side effects!

bmwfan, when you say that I'd notice the low suspension, even on fire trails, what exactly are you referring to?

My stock VFR sits at about almost 32" and with a low seat/std suspension on the 650, I'd be much lower, thats good to hear.

thanks again folks, this forum rocks! Will keep you all posted on the upcoming arrival.(Gotta find a buyer for that VFR first, but its a 01, the pre-vtec kinds, so shouldn't be a problem).
vuganeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
markymcd
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by vuganeja
Thank you both for the quick responses! I didn't realise that a low suspension would have so much more side effects!

bmwfan, when you say that I'd notice the low suspension, even on fire trails, what exactly are you referring to?

My stock VFR sits at about almost 32" and with a low seat/std suspension on the 650, I'd be much lower, thats good to hear.

thanks again folks, this forum rocks! Will keep you all posted on the upcoming arrival.(Gotta find a buyer for that VFR first, but its a 01, the pre-vtec kinds, so shouldn't be a problem).
Especially on fire roads... even with regular suspension the travel is not that great. You will 100% need a skid plate. I have an MOD one (Motooverland) and i've beat the living crap out of it, but i'm a pretty aggressive rider for what the 650 can handle. Even without aggressive riding you will want a skid plate and engine guards if you plan on doing fire roads.

i think bmwfan would be referring to the action and travel of the shock.

cheers,
Mark
__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer
 
Firefight911's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Folsom, CA
Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
i think bmwfan would be referring to the action and travel of the shock.

cheers,
Mark
Exactly. The overall ride, clearance, and suspension travel is a big compromise best avoided at almost all costs!! You give up way more than you gain by being able to flat foot when stopped.
__________________
Ride Safe, Ride Often, RIDE!!!!
Firefight911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
BMWHillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
I'm 5'6" and I ordered the low seat and regular suspension.... they messed up and sent the low suspension option which I didn't notice until I bought a centre stand for it about a year later.

After they tried to charge me to put it back to regular suspension which is what I ordered I finally got them to do it no charge. Go figure them wanting me to pay for their fuck up but that's another story.

So, bottom line is I got to ride it quite a while with low suspension and then back to regular. I am not flat footed but I would HIGHLY recommend avoiding low suspension if you can. Even the road handling and performance is far better with regular suspension.

Hope this helps,
Mark

What did they have to do to bring it back to regular suspension?
BMWHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
markymcd
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWHillbilly
What did they have to do to bring it back to regular suspension?
the rear shock and side stand. that's it.
__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014