User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #2191
kl Richard
This is a Dark Ride!!

Oddometer: 107
I'm enjoying this!!!

It's a rainy Sat. afternoon up here, which has given me a chance to catch up with your trip!!!

I like the video clips, and I see you've got a solution for the audio problem in hand. BTW Nice save LDF I hate the sand too.....not that we have alot of it to deal with around here. I find it easier to ride it, if I keep the throttle on enough to lighten the front wheel; which isn't always easy, cause the conditions change so often!!!!

What's next?

Cheers
Brian
kl Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #2192
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Out of the frying pan

Here's the photo LDF was shooting in the above video. It turns out what we could see here was only the tip of the fire area.

Riding down a few miles, indeed, NF-28 became a single-lane paved road,

For some reason in the next vid, the sound didn't record... what I was saying was that the smoke was getting thicker and thicker. Towards the middle of the vid, we cross an area where you can see how smokey it is to our left.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #2193
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As we rode along,

we passed groups of firefighters -- hotshots, they're called.

They were dirty and sweaty, and mostly hard at work carrying equipment in and out of the woods, and clearing underbrush, etc.

I stopped and chatted with a couple of them on the side of the road,

Something must have struck a chord of recognition in my brain, because I felt an immediate connection with these guys waging war against the fire.

I have since realized what it is: that's my youngest brother on the right:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #2194
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were stopped at a checkpoint

Riding into the ever-thickening smoke was stirring up a fair amount of anxiety for us. These guys were calm and collected, though. They didn't seem worried at all, and that was comforting.

You can see from his demeanor what I'm talking about. What he told us was that there was a crew up ahead that was cutting down some trees next to the road, and that we'd be able to pass in a minute or so. As we headed down towards them, I snapped this photo, and had an idea:

LDF rode slowly past them, and I stopped. I wanted to give these guys one of our good-karma pins that we carry with us to give as tokens of appreciation. As I was struggling to get one out of my pocket, I was trying to figure out which of these guys I should give it to. One guy walked up to me and asked if everything was OK, and that solved my dilemma. I said "I have something for you and your crew." He looked at me quizically, as I explained, "we've traveled all the way from New York City, and want you to know that we appreciate the work you're doing out here. It's a tough job. Thanks." and I handed him one of these:

As I fired up the bike, some of the other guys were walking up to us. I didn't want to hold them up from doing their job any more than necessary. He was squinting down to look at the pin as I was pulling away, and he must have realized what it was, 'cause I heard him shout, "Hey, thanks, brother."
Old 10-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #2195
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
I apologized for that crazy woman's "hot-rodding".
you know everytime she pulls those stunts all of us look bad.

can't you reel that woman in?
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #2196
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug

can't you reel that woman in?

Here we go again!!!!!

Great job on the RR Doc.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:21 AM   #2197
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
Not all of us. Just the ones who still ride.

You feel like coming into the city tomorrow, Scott? Erica from Highway to Hell fame will be hanging at the ADVloft(tm)... give a call.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #2198
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The smoke from the fire

followed us for quite a ways,

and by the time we cleared it, the TAT route had turned south and was about to intersect NF-28. We were on NF-28 for 23 miles at that point, and the TAT route we were denied was about 31miles, so we rode 8 miles less, and I don't imagine the TAT was paved at all from the looks of it on topo, so all in all, our forced detour put us a little ahead of the game for our day's mileage.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #2199
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

When we picked up the TAT

there was a pull-off to what looked like a dispersed camp site (not developed). It was at the junction of the South Umpqua river, and the Zinc creek, and looked like a nice place to stop for a rest and a snack.

I'm sooooo pissed (no pun intended) that you can't hear the music at the end of the vid... it was (Fisher)-priceless. (complete the full experience by clicking the link to hear the demo)

Old 10-11-2009, 09:53 AM   #2200
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back into the woods

Nothing terribly technical,

however, we kept seeing signs for Tiller, which is where we were headed for gas, and the arrow always seemed to be pointing a different direction from where we were going.

No matter, this wasn't a bad area to meander around.

and kinda makes me sorry maybe we missed some good riding on account of the forest fire.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #2201
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Next stop

was a one-mile detour to visit:

Old 10-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #2202
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This area of the TAT

needs work. There are various roads that have been blocked with berms / tank traps, and recent TAT'ers have been sharing go-arounds.

I had a known-good route, but there was a part of the original TAT which I wasn't sure if it was blocked permanently. It was only a little ways from where we were, and wouldn't be that far of a back-track if it was blocked, but we decided to go check it out:

It was a far less-used road than what we had been on. But there were great views:

When we passed this sign, I figured we'd have our answer shortly:

Sure enough... right at N42 56.452 W122 45.969,

Old 10-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #2203
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We spent the next

two and a half hours getting to Tiller by the most circuitous route possible.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #2204
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Along the way

I snapped these two photos to show how easy it is for these roads to get closed down from a tree fall, or a rock slide. It must happen all the time.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #2205
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Experience

what it's like being LDF's wing-man:

(just riding, no story content)