User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #2206
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Have throughly enjoyed your Ride Report

LDF is to be admired for having a good attitude considering all the physical challenges you have both been through!

But for a while back in the report I thought you might want to change her name to "BB"

....."Bear Bait", since she was always up front in bear country.

Did You ever see any bear?

or other critters?

anxious to see the Pacific.
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #2207
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Logging

Bad news, good news:

Clear cutting really trashes an area... I mean, it looks like a war zone.

However, the break in the trees was the only opportunities we had to enjoy views of the distant horizon.

Obviously, there's more to the issue than that, though. Economic opportunity, road / trail creation, closing of access, destruction of habitiats, forests are renewable, etc. Back and forth the arguments go, (to get some perspective of the size of the area, look for the skidder working in the next photo -- click the image for access to bigger version)

and on we roll. (looking back up at the clear-cut area -- the near field was cut in 2006, I believe -- there was a sign, but I didn't get a photo)

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-11-2009 at 11:15 AM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #2208
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Crossing the S. Umpqua River again

we finally rolled into Tiller for fuel and provisions. It is a one-pump town.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #2209
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was time

to start setting our sights on where we would sleep for the night.

There was a NF campground in about 25 miles, so that's what we aimed for. Along the way, we climbed and descended through the mountains and woods. No crazy / technical riding... and I thought I might have an opportunity to capture a "vaguely anticipated vista - revealed"... but NO...

Nothing but glimpses: (vid is just riding, some talking when you can hear through the wind noise... skip at will)

Old 10-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #2210
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark
LDF is to be admired for having a good attitude considering all the physical challenges you have both been through!

But for a while back in the report I thought you might want to change her name to "BB"

....."Bear Bait", since she was always up front in bear country.

Did You ever see any bear?

or other critters?

anxious to see the Pacific.
As a matter of fact, no, I did not see any bears. I did see some other critters, though. There was a bird of prey that launched out of a tree branch right in front of my face that I ALMOST captured on vid... I had just turned off the cam. That would have been cool.

It was just before we got to Devil's Flat campground where you hook onto a paved stretch that passes by some ranch homes that I saw these guys:

Not very exciting, I know.

LDF (BB) takes the point 99% of the time. She's quite good at navigating -- especially when I use the Scala to tell her where to turn. , and I don't mind riding sweep. I ride point when we're taking a detour, or when I anticipate that the turn might be hard to spot, or when the riding is really dicey, and we have to decide if I'll be riding both bikes through / over an obstacle.

As to seeing the Pacific... don't hold your breath. Not that we didn't get there... just don't hold your breath.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #2211
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Animals on the trail

You're probably luckier. I almost ran over a badger last month and several years ago attacked by a mama Moose. Your level of noise probably keeps the
wildlife away.
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #2212
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Devil's flat camp

Is a trail head for horse riding. There's a sort-of corral,

and an old log cabin,

and some stables down the hill.

We got our camp set up, collected firewood,

Old 10-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #2213
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Once camp was set up,

we went on a hike to try to find some water to keep in a bucket for near the fire.

We could hear running water, and followed a trail that seemed to be heading towards it.

I made a little video of what we found:

This is Cow Creek Gorge:

Old 10-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #2214
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Since we couldn't

scale down the cliffs of the gorge to the water, we had to settle for collecting water from a little spring that was near the trail. I set up some sticks to guide the water into the bucket, and then we waited.

After we followed the creek upstream in the opposite direction from the gorge, we discovered a trail that went down to the water and crossed where there were some pools that looked clear enough to filter, so we went back up to camp to grab the filter and water container,

and headed back down to the creek, with the dishes that hadn't been washed to LDF's high standards from the last time they were used.

So while I pumped the filter,

Francine took some photos,

and then we headed back to camp again.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-11-2009 at 01:31 PM
Old 10-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #2215
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The sun was almost down

and we cooked some dinner, drank some wine,

and lit the campfire.

Here are our day's stats:

the elevations...

and the consequences of a long day riding, a couple glasses of wine, a full belly, and a warm campfire:

Old 10-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #2216
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,859

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #2217
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Friday, Sept. 18, 2009

Where we make a run for the Pacific Ocean, conquer Tourette hill, plow headlong into the Coastal Range, only be thwarted by a stator a mere 60 miles from the coast, and in full damage control mode, extricate ourselves with a tow strap for 25miles out of the mountains, and another 25 miles on the interstate to safe harbor at Grant's Pass.

Click on the image below for access to larger versions (try X3 or O)

Old 10-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #2218
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We try

really, really hard to get an early start. It's gonna be a long day if we're going to make it to Port Orford. We review... no getting lost, no crashing, no flats, no costume malfunctions... so what does LDF do? She puts her boots on before her pants... Not the best way to start.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #2219
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A bad omen

Shortly after we're underway, we pass a car, horribly crumpled into a tree off the side of the road. My flash fires as I photograph it, and I end up with a crappy shot, but you get the idea.

OK, so the gods are warning us "don't rush"
Old 10-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #2220
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We start to climb

and we turn off the nice graded FS road for the first special section of the day.