Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #2236
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Along ridges

we dropped down

a lovely two-track road,

to cross Cow Creek at the "town" of West Fork.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #2237
RenoDeano
High Desert Drifter

Oddometer: 99
Oregon TAT Videos and Pictures

Fantastic Oregon photos and videos. You and LDF are turning into a Level B enduro riders. Sure glad to have met you two. Keep up the good work.

Reno Deano

Plated 2009 Husaberg FE 570, Plated 2001 DRZ 400E; 2006 DR650;1972 Yamaha CT2, 2007 400 & 800 CanAm Outlander.

Member of the Dust Devils MC of Reno Nevada. Home of the annual Ride Reno 200 Dual Sport Ride.

http://www.dustdevilsmc.com/forum/index.php
RenoDeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #2238
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,068
I remember that section very well. The crashed car, fotobo had to change a flat right after the turn off the main road into the trees. At the top of the last steep section of the hillclimb, about where you stopped, there was a note on a branch. Something about a tough climb, moisture had caused the ink to run and we couldn't read it all.

We got to the pastry place a little after 10 in the morning. We didn't stop. later we wished that we had. The next food we saw was in port orford. We were HUNGRY when we got there. The only person we saw between there and the coast was a snaggle toothed, crosseyed, hairlipped woman who looked like a meth addict. We were confused on which way to go. She was coming toward us and stopped to let us pass. I stopped to ask if the road went through or was a dead end. She screached something at me while waving her arms around and jerking her head side to side. I said thanks and got moving. I didn't look back. It was a very memorable day.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #2239
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

West Fork

for some reason, had these historical markers posted: (click on the photos if you want to access to larger versions that you can read)

There was an old iron bridge, and railroad tracks.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #2240
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus
The only person we saw between there and the coast was a snaggle toothed, crosseyed, hairlipped woman who looked like a meth addict.
See, that right there scares me way more than bears. As the story unfolds, you'll see how that demographic affected our decisions.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #2241
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide13
Did you see a concentration of bear poop in the corrals at the horse camp?
Nah, once we left California, we really didn't see any evidence of bears.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #2242
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoDeano
a Level B enduro riders.
Level B with LUGGAGE! It's a new class... or should be.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #2243
rufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
See, that right there scares me way more than bears. As the story unfolds, you'll see how that demographic affected our decisions.

Do you remember the house on the inside (left) of a switch back a little ways before the wrecked car? We stopped at the wrecked car,and I was worried that the residents of that place were hiding in the bushes waiting to cut us up for dog food and use our engines for rototillers. We took a short break at the crashed car. I kept looking and listening. I never did sit down or relax there.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #2244
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Rolling westward

I was doing the math in my head, and could tell it was going to be late by the time we got to the coast...

I figured we'd be OK as long as we were on graded gravel transit sections -- here I'm commenting on the various aspects of routing vs. navigating vs. riding, and pointing out that the section we were riding here was among the most difficult to route, that is, there's a maze of logging roads and setting the route on the GPS was a bitch. Navigating, though, wasn't so bad, and the riding was actually pretty easy.

alas, it wasn't long before we hit another technical special section.

a few more of these, and we'd be cowboy camping shy of Port O.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #2245
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus
Do you remember the house on the inside (left) of a switch back a little ways before the wrecked car?
Isn't it funny? We rode the same route, and I have absolutely no recollection of a house. Sometimes, I look at photos that LDF took, and I'm thinking... where was I? Weird.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #2246
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

And yet another climb

here, I'm commenting that this is just the place for a fully loaded V-strom, or GS1200... no thanks. I was happy we were on DRZ400's, and that WR250 is looking sweeter and sweeter.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #2247
rufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Isn't it funny? We rode the same route, and I have absolutely no recollection of a house. Sometimes, I look at photos that LDF took, and I'm thinking... where was I? Weird.

Same here. I am having a great time looking at all your pictures and videos and I remember lots and lots of the places. But some of the pictures bring up no memory at all. Too much to absorb. Apparantly I need to do it all again!

Your TAT RR is the best here!! ----the aformentioned woman would fit right in the house I saw.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #2248
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mid-day

and it was time to de-fleece:

we were nearing Dutchman Butte, and when we got closer, we were treated to some more great views:

sweeping left to right,

Old 10-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #2249
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Honestly,

we were spending more time in specials than transits today, and discussing our pace, it was clear unless we were handed some easier riding, we were going to really have to push to make Port O.

Up on the ridge, the riding was easier, but we tended to slow down to savor the views:

We crossed another clear cut area, which, even though the road was smooth, involved a lot of switchbacks

Old 10-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #2250
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

In short,

even though we were constantly moving, we weren't making great time.

Then we hit a particularly gnarly section. I'll let the photos provide the commentary.

You know when I'm riding point it's particularly ugly. But LDF rode it all.

Here she comes...

I'd ride ahead at my pace, and then wait for her...

I tried not to get out of range of the Scala's, so I could tell her what was coming up. Eventually, she'd catch up...

When this happened, though,

It was she who had to wait for me.