Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #2251
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
What a relief

when we connected with this super-highway:

If it stays like this, maybe we have a shot at making the coast by nightfall.

but even here, it was hard to get our speed up. In the vid, I try to explain why... "taking a turn 'a little wide', turns into 'a lot wide' when you start sliding down the cliff."

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #2252
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I try to make a habit

of photographing signs as we pass them... just in case we have to backtrack or re-route, I can bring up the photo on the camera, and see how far it is to wherever.

This was the first time that habit really came in handy... note: Glendale 25miles.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #2253
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,275
DR, You have got to submit this one for front page!

DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #2254
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Just past here

the road started to open up some,

and I remember thinking to myself,

"if it stays like this...

maybe... just maybe

if we push... we'll make it to the beach!
Old 10-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #2255
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

and then...

we bounced on to a short paved connecting road. The dirt road we wanted forked off to the right. Francine missed it, and stayed on the pavement.

I yelled over the Scala... "you missed the turn"....

"Fine, wait for me while I turn around".

I waited.

"Hey," I hear over the intercom. "my bike stalled while I was turning around and it won't start back up... it sounds like the battery is dead."

Grrrr....then hmmmm.... then...

"we don't have time for this", I'm thinking. Maybe the revs weren't high enough in the technical riding we've been doing today to keep the battery charged???"

As quickly as possible, I pull out my multimeter, the jumper cables, get the side panels off both bikes, which necessitates unstrapping the bags...

grrrr....

and still, the bike's not charging. I can get it jumped from my bike, but it's only putting out 11.36v at 5-6000 rev's.

It starts to look like we won't make it to the coast today... and maybe even never. We're 60 miles from Port Orford. LDF is having a hard time wrapping her head around it all. You can see the disappointment in her expression as I explain the troubleshooting and diagnostics I've done up to that point:

Old 10-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #2256
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Your not going to believe this but that is the same spot my GSP quite working.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #2257
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,067
Trouble so close to the end...

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #2258
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailace
Your not going to believe this but that is the same spot my GSP quite working.
Here? N42 47.207 W123 44.756 ... it's like the Bermuda triangle or somethin'... I wouldn't be surprised if Amelia Earhart's plane was found nearby.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #2259
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Here? N42 47.207 W123 44.756 ... it's like the Bermuda triangle or somethin'... I wouldn't be surprised if Amelia Earhart's plane was found nearby.
The best I can tell my issue was here N42 47.180 W123 44.481
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #2260
DRZmaui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I think I know what your problem is, Check the alternator/rectifier wire coupling. Had the same thing happen to me.
They have a nasty habit to melting, and then they ground out. It’s an easy remedy; just get rid of the coupling, and hard wire them.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

DRZmaui
DRZmaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #2261
RenoDeano
High Desert Drifter

Oddometer: 99
Dead Battery

Make it easier to jump start (exposed plugs from each battery), keep it running, keep heading for the coast....would have been my remedy. Sheat, it is only 60 miles.

Reno Deano

Plated 2009 Husaberg FE 570, Plated 2001 DRZ 400E; 2006 DR650;1972 Yamaha CT2, 2007 400 & 800 CanAm Outlander.

Member of the Dust Devils MC of Reno Nevada. Home of the annual Ride Reno 200 Dual Sport Ride.

http://www.dustdevilsmc.com/forum/index.php
RenoDeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #2262
RenoDeano
High Desert Drifter

Oddometer: 99
Blue Bell Problems

Sorry, I forgot Blue Bell was running rough also. But, couldn't you have pulled her into Port Orford (nearly same mileage).

Reno Deano

Plated 2009 Husaberg FE 570, Plated 2001 DRZ 400E; 2006 DR650;1972 Yamaha CT2, 2007 400 & 800 CanAm Outlander.

Member of the Dust Devils MC of Reno Nevada. Home of the annual Ride Reno 200 Dual Sport Ride.

http://www.dustdevilsmc.com/forum/index.php
RenoDeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:45 AM   #2263
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

She wasn't running rough at that point

So after checking the maps, my first idea was that since we had access to pavement, to get the bags back on with the side panel off, jump start blueberry, and ride back to Glendale which was close enough to the I-5 corridor to have cell service.

We didn't want to carry on forward, 'cause we weren't sure how much technical riding we'd be doing. If this had happened just 40 minutes earlier on that nasty trail, we'd really have been stuck. I was applying a "damage control" strategy where the primary directive is to stop further harm to the ship, and the secondary directive is to seek safe harbor where thorough repairs can be performed.

So that's what I did... only Blueberry would have none of it. Her condition deteriorated rapidly, first just a few backfires, then idling only and dieing if the throttle was cracked, then she wouldn't even start, and I was risking killing my battery as well.

So now she's dead in the water. It's about 4:30pm, we've been at this for about 2 hours, and the shadows are starting to get long. It's about 25 miles to Glendale, so we load the bikes back up, and I break out the tow strap.

Mr. Happy Puppet tried his best to boost morale, but things were looking grim.

I'd only towed once before, but knew that the opposite footpeg-footpeg technique was the safest way.

I briefed LDF to be attentive to the slack, and off we went.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:01 AM   #2264
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It took us

about an hour to tow out of the mountains,

even though the road was paved,

it was twisty, and single lane.

There were some nice views along the way,

but I didn't take many photos,

because every time the tow strap snapped taut, my bike felt like it was going to get pulled out from under me.

It was mostly downhill, in more ways than one. (In fact, for one stretch we disconnected, and she just coasted). This was about as stressful as anything we've done together as a couple. She wanted me to stay more to the right in case there was an oncoming vehicle, but I didn't want to run her off the road. Meanwhile, on the uphill climbs, my bike is starting to overheat. Add to the mix that we're disappointed and frustrated, and now getting tired, hungry, etc. We're connected with the Scala's, thank god, but it was no picnic.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:10 AM   #2265
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

After about 20 miles

we picked up a bigger road. In the silent periods between when we were yelling at each other about the slack, I was racking my brain, going through the various components of the charging system to try to figure out what went wrong that would explain the bike's behavior and failure.

as you can hear, I had narrowed it down to CDI or stator.