Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #2281
Nichelob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
A shout out and thanks to everyone who's gone before us on these trails, and then reached out across time and electrons to give us a hand on our trip(s), we're riding in your tracks:

I shot this clip in one take, so of course I failed to mention a ton of people ... So I'm just going to add to this post as I remember those who've helped us with routing, scouting, advice, support, authored TAT ride reports, or otherwise assisted, motivated or inspired Mobius.

In no particular order:

Thank you Sam,
Thank you gaspipe,
Thank you DockingPilot,
Thank you NorthernTraveler,
Thank you TrailAce,
Thank you VFR870!!!,
Thank you Speez,
Thank you Urban Cowboy,
Thank you RenoDeano,
Thank you Katoomon,
Thank you John_L,
Thank you Jet Doctor,
Thank you Big & Little Wan,
Thank you Taco250,
Thank you Bonnie & Hayduke,
Thank you Questor & Motoadventuregal,
Thank you XC rider,
Thank you Notar & Mav,
Thank you Neduro,
Thank you Nichelob,
Thank you Vinnie the Snake & the Vintage crew,
Thank you BigDog,
Thank you what have i got into,
Thank you Motor1,
Thank you Brent4ADV,
Thank you Gaprunr,
Thank you RandomAussie,
Thank you BlueLghtning,
Thank you benh,
Thank you quasi_inrem,
Thank you SalsaBoy,
Thank you dwj - Donnie,
Thank you Black06LJ,
Thank you Seth S,
Thank you ROD CURRIE,
Thank you Austin Vince,
Thank you metaljocky,

ETC!
Wow, you're welcome. Wouldn't it be cool to have the whole list do a reunion TAT trip? You have taken ride reports to a whole new level Major props, keep 'em coming.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #2282
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
David & Francine,

I'm just glad I could help you out in your time of need. I happened to be sitting at the computer looking at this very RR, looking for a "real time" update WHEN YOU HAPPENED TO CALL. Call it Divine intervention if you will. After we hung up, the only thing I could think to do was post a "real time" update. Sounds like it was a good thing after all. By the way, I live in REDMOND OR. Bend is south of me ~20 miles.

Stuart

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:50 AM   #2283
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,279
Dave, your RR is great. You're so fortunate to have such an adventurous better half and ldf, you are truely a hero as far as partners are concerned.
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:15 AM   #2284
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
What else did I find?

Well, Steve & Roy discovered a potential liability in the DRZ design, which is the internal oil screen that sits between the frame reservoir, and the sump. It requires a 24mm deep socket, which I purchased from the AutoZone.

The screen was clean .

Next, I discovered a stone that had wedged below the chain in the lower chain-guide. It had been scored by the chain:

otherwise, didn't seem to be doing any harm, although the chain didn't have quite as much slack.

I salvaged the case guard from the stator-side cover,

Then it was time for an oil change for HoneyBee.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #2285
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We decided to go out for dinner

Grants Pass is really spread out.

Everything is arranged along a strip... there's a small downtown, but it's really quite far to walk. Like many towns, the design optimizes transportation by automobile. What will it take to shake this obsession / addiction? I mean, wheelchairs also are available so you don't have to walk... but nobody's fetishizing those.

Hey, left-rear turn signal is busted.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-13-2009, 06:30 AM   #2286
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Grants Pass

A colorful lady:

And another:

She was going to the P.O.

Sky scraper:

I have a collection of faded signage on brick walls:

Dinner was at a local brew-pub. I'd rather have been riding / camping... No offense to Grants Pass intended.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:50 AM   #2287
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,641
>"Everything is arranged along a strip... there's a small downtown, but it's really quite far to walk. Like many towns, the design optimizes transportation by automobile."

No design or planning was involved. Like so many other towns, GP just grew along a highway. A flat spot + intersecting highways + river = town. 40-odd years ago there wasn't much to GP. The little downtown section between the 'It's the climate' signs was the whole marianne. Now in the summertime they often have gridlock through the downtown section. Too late to do anything about it.
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:05 AM   #2288
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sunday, Sept. 20, 2009

We slept in.

Today's big project was to rewire Blueberry's tail assembly. But first, I recharged both batteries by taking laps up and down the strip. I didn't want to ride too far from the motel, in case I stalled the bike before the battery was charged.

riding stats for the day... 18.7 miles!

There were seven wires, and because I was going to re-route the harness so it wouldn't happen again, I needed more slack, which meant 14 splices.

I bought a spool of wire from the AutoZone, I would have used the cable I'd salvaged in CA, but on closer inspection, the insulation was old and cracking.

Testing... 1,2,3...

Yeah, baby!

Old 10-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #2289
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A local guy

who was staying at the motel stopped by to chat. Joe was riding a 2-stroke Suzuki R6 Gamma sport bike, obviously not available stateside. He offered assistance and encouragement.

All our maintenance and repairs (except for the big one) completed, we whiled away the hours poolside,

Where we ate lunch and discussed how we might catch back up with our route in the event that we could get Blueberry running again.

When evening came, our dining choices were limited 'cause it was sunday, so we settled on the Sizzler across the street.

On the way back to our room, I saw our friend Joe's bike parked...

I hoped he'd have a use for a 24mm deep socket that I didn't want to be schlepping... just so he'd know who it was from, we left a calling card:

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-31-2009 at 09:00 AM
Old 10-13-2009, 07:21 AM   #2290
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Monday, Sept. 21, 2009 AM

Waiting for FedEx... I had Honeybee packed, Blueberry disassembled, tools out...

Checking the FedEx web page for tracking updates every 10 minutes...

Pacing back and forth in the parking lot... Popping into the motel office for free coffee refills...

My stomach was in knots.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:54 AM   #2291
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As soon as I saw this guy

I went into my focus zone... It's showtime!

I handed LDF the camera, and got to work.

It was already 10:45, and at this point, even if everything went perfectly, it was going to be a crapshoot making it to Port O by nightfall.

Steve thought of everything... RTV gasket, disposable gloves... whatta guy!

New (used) and old (dead):

Old 10-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #2292
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Commence re-assembly

it didn't go without a hitch... there was a shim/washer and bushing missing from the case Steve sent me, so I decided to use that case and stator, with all the other bits from Blueberry's original, but I was struggling to get the starter clutch gears to mesh and the case to seat properly.

At one point, one of the washer / shims dropped, and for the life of me, I couldn't find it. It was like it evaporated. I hadn't heard it hit the ground, so I spent 5 minutes looking in all the rags, and my pant cuffs, and all over the parking lot, until eventually, laying my head on the ground, I looked up and found that it had been sucked into the rotor and was stuck to the magnet on the inside, underneath.

The starter clutch gears meshed easily once I swapped the original for the one that came with the new case... I don't know if they are matched to the case, or if it was just co-incidence.

Locktite all around:

Then I waited 90 seconds for the RTV to cure... That's plenty, isn't it?

Poured the oil in, reconnected the battery and all the plugs, and...

Now what???

Old 10-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #2293
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Ok

Back into troubleshooting, diagnostic mode.

Fuel? check... petcock on. Air? check... Spark? hmmmm...

Well, if I was going to pull the plug to check for a spark, I may as well take the opportunity to change it. So I unscrew the shrouds, and loosen the gas tank to get exposure to the spark plug...

and the fuel line cracks and gas starts to spill out of the petcock.

I realize it would be quicker to have LDF pop over to the autozone and buy a new piece rather than dig through my bike to find the spare piece I had packed. While she was doing that, I changed the plug,

and sure enough, there was a strong spark. By the time she returned, I had the bike buttoned back up, and was ready to try again:

Old 10-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #2294
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It's past noon

and we've attracted the interest of the Motel 6 maintenance crew who were taking their lunch break. When Blueberry's battery started to fade from all the attempts, they overheard me say to Francine that I would jump her from Honeybee. Immediately, the guy who owned the truck parked next to us (at least I hope it was his ) volunteered a jump from his battery, and even offered to supply the cables, so I wouldn't have to unpack mine.

I don't know what did the trick. My plan was to mash on that magic red button until one of the following occurred: 1. the bike started, 2. the starter motor fried, or 3. the monster truck battery died.

My money was on #2. But instead...:

Not exactly roaring to life. Idling rough, died when cracking the throttle... Hmmm.

Over the next few minutes, she was able to sustain a smooth idle, and after another minute or so, I could crack open the throttle and rev with only a few misfires, and after another minute, everything seemed perfect.

We disconnected the jumper cables, I checked the output to the battery and it was 13.36v at 5000 or so revs. Barely spec, but should be good enough.

(I checked again the next day, and it was 14.1v, but it doesn't go straight there... it takes a minute or two to climb up there with sustained revs.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #2295
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Now, if you recall

this was the same way Honeybee woke up in Reno after her long sleep. Now, Honeybee's rectifier and CDI were in Blueberry (I hadn't switched them back after testing Blueberry's in Honeybee).

It was almost as if the CDI had to relearn where in the cycle to fire the spark. I mean when I was first trying to start it, there was nothing... then with many more starting attempts, the occasional backfire, then a rough idle, then rough rev's, and then everything was fine...

So, after making sure we could turn the bike off, and that it would restart, we replaced the panels and the packs, took one lap around the town,

then filled up with gas, and hit the interstate to return to where we left off. I had my fingers crossed that the problem was solved.