User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #2311
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
We were really getting close

and I had in my head that I wanted to capture on video the precise moment when we first saw the Pacific Ocean.

For the next 17 miles, I fully expected we would round a bend and there would be the sun setting on the horizon over water. I will spare you the 17 short video clips that failed to document that experience as we got closer and closer.

Finally, I realized we'd have to get right up to the coast before we would see the ocean, so we turned off of Hwy 101 to go to Paradise Point:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #2312
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTBLY
Ummm? Isn't Alaska still part of the Continent?
Contiguous... I meant contiguous. My bad. Sorry.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #2313
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,809
Big difference from this cold stare of the unknown while in tow..

To this a few days later....

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #2314
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A short mile later

we were treated to this:

Old 10-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #2315
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Time to play in the sand!

We probably should have removed the bags...

'cause riding in the sand isn't easy.

but I assure you, no sea lions were harmed in the filming of this event.

You won't see our group photo 'till Christmas, so just be patient.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #2316
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The sun was setting fast

so we only had time for a short ride in the sand.

Should we go north,

or south?

South, then!

Francine did great until she slowed down... and I did great until I tried to turn around...

then we were both buried...

Old 10-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #2317
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I left my bike,

and walked back to where she was. We had to dig her back wheel out, and as it was gettin' late, I rode her bike out, then hiked all the way back to my bike,

and then took a breather and shot some photos.

I guess I can't blame being winded on the altitude.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #2318
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I had more fun

riding my bike back...

and LDF snapped a nice shot of me:

Old 10-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #2319
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We left the beach

(just one more...)

And headed into town to find food and lodging:

Old 10-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #2320
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We pulled in

to the Castaway Motel, right on the waterfront. When we asked where he recommended for dinner, he told us Griff's down by the dock, and let us know that the kitchen closed soon.

This was the view from our room,

Highly recommended . We got out of our gear, and headed down for dinner and a beer.

The moon was rising, just as the sun was setting...

the lighting was magical, and we felt good. We got to Griff's a few minutes before the kitchen closed,

but there were others still dining and we got our orders in. We told the waitress that we were so hungry and tired we guaranteed we wouldn't be lingering over our meal. That got a laugh.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #2321
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

While we were waiting for our food

LDF stepped out to take photos of the sunset and the rising moon:

from Wikepedia: "The Port is an open water dock (no natural protection) and boasts the only drydock port on the west coast. The fishing boats are lifted in and out of the water by operated cranes, set on custom made dollies, and parked in rows on the dock. As a result it is known as a "dolly dock"."

We could see them lower the boats into the water the next morning.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #2322
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our meal

was delicious,

and we walked back to the motel in the chilly night air.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #2323
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our stats for the day

Not bad for an afternoon start...

and the elevations:

Old 10-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #2324
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
Very enjoyable, thanks for letting us tag along...

LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #2325
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,309
Well done! What a story.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote