Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #2326
Michaelfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Thumb Wow!

Very cool! Glad you made it!

Is this where you ride off into the sunset & live happily ever after or....

Is that after the next trip??
Ridgecrest, Kahliffoanya
Michaelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #2327
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
congrats!

i know you actually finished weeks ago, but congratulations on making it to the end of the TAT!

You two are a great pair, handling all the struggles & amazing experiences right along in stride...

amazing.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #2328
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,940
I really really liked your videos going over the last mountain before you hit pavement. I remember that quite well. The pavement along the river was great. Fast curves, rough road, no traffic. I could have gotten an expensive ticket there.

Without a doubt this is the best TAT RR ever..........thanks for the memories! .
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #2329
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,045
Thanks for letting me ride along.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #2330
getupngo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Wow, what fun. I loved the long video stretches. It was like I was there with you on my own bike, I could feel the coolness of the shade and smell the trees and dirt. My husband is 70, I will be 55 in just a few short weeks and am new to motorcycle and dual sport riding this year. He has created a monster!!!! I have lived vicariously thru you on your spectacular journey. Thank you for having me along
getupngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #2331
SteelHorseRider
Not part of the solution

Oddometer: 121
Conga rats

I checked everyday for updates. Riveting. And a special congrats to Francine a.k.a LDF a.k.a. Sugar (it was in one of the videos).

Free Tibet
R 1200 GS (2005)
SteelHorseRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #2332
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
we were treated to this:

The ride over the crest to see the Pacific was quite emotional.
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #2333
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 542
Enjoyed M4 even more than first 3!

Now here's a fitting photo to submit for advrider front page!

Thanks guys for sharing your TAT adventure with us!

BTW - I like the vids too but I'll still be first in line for the "Hard Copy" coffee table edition once you get published -

EnduroRdr screwed with this post 10-13-2009 at 09:00 PM
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:04 PM   #2334
katoomon
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
So now she's dead in the water. It's about 4:30pm, we've been at this for about 2 hours, and the shadows are starting to get long. It's about 25 miles to Glendale, so we load the bikes back up, and I break out the tow strap.

Mr. Happy Puppet tried his best to boost morale, but things were looking grim.

I'd only towed once before, but knew that the opposite footpeg-footpeg technique was the safest way.

I briefed LDF to be attentive to the slack, and off we went.
Towing is knarly work, the distance you went, with that short tow strap?
knar^big
I carry 20 ft of 9/16 inch tubular webbing to tow with. I will secure the tow strap to the tow bike, but not to the towee. Towee... that's probably an indigenous name for someone with being towed over 40 mph. Way to go Francine. The towee wraps the strap around the bars next to the bar clamp, runs the end to the left grip, and holds it with their left hand. If towee lets go, the strap comes off. You can do the same thing with a few wraps around the peg and towee's left foot holds it in place. It is a bit more effort to hold a strap in place, more wraps may be needed depending on available friction, bike weight, etc. Looks like it went well, but it's just a little bit safer when you can disconnect; and it keeps the pee (or worse) off your leg.

That was more than a 1 beer day for sure.

Now I must see the Pacific Ocean, this is an epic finish.

[EDIT]
Hey, I'm done, er, your done, posting that is. I agree with Dr Lewall, the Pacific coming into view was spectacular. That vid and the beach rides in full screen mode are just freakin' great.

katoomon screwed with this post 10-13-2009 at 10:32 PM
katoomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #2335
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoomon
If towee lets go, the strap comes off....Looks like it went well, but it's just a little bit safer when you can disconnect;...
I considered this, however two things... by the time we had to do the interstate run, we had already had over an hour of practice, and we were getting pretty good. Second, because interstates are essentially high-speed one-way roads, if she had inadvertently released the tow strap on the interstate, it could have been a huge hassle for me to back up and get her, or for her to push her bike to catch up with me. Also, the more of the strap you loop around, the distance between the bikes becomes even less. A longer strap is the ticket, however, that means more space and weight. I never imagined that we would ever be towing that far, nor on the highway. Maybe for a mile or so in first gear, you know... no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoomon
Hey, I'm done, er, your done, posting that is....
Not by a long-shot... we still gotta get to Seattle... So, on with the show!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #2336
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2009

We woke early, and could see the fishing boats being lowered into the water.

Francine photographed a photographer photographing the morning light.

The room had a loft, and a nice kitchenette.

We enjoyed our coffee as the sun rose;

There are probably less expensive lodging options (not that it was outrageous), but if you've just completed the TAT, and you can swing it, the Castaway is a great place to decompress and reflect.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-14-2009, 07:53 AM   #2337
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,865
Wow Dave ! Quite the adventure to say the least ! Enjoyed every page. You could show Doc Gonzo how this adventure thing works ha ?
And LDF, way to go girl ! , Your every mans dream, Daves a lucky guy.

Frank

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:03 AM   #2338
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Today

we would be doing a full day of pavement in order to catch back up with our dirt route. Originally, our intent after finishing the TAT was to ride south along Hwy 101 on the coast, down to Gold Beach, and then cut back east up the Rogue River valley back into the National Forests, picking up the Oregon Back-Country Discovery Trail near Butte Falls, and then head north, stopping at Crater Lake, passing East of the Sisters peaks, and then West of Mt. Jefferson.

Instead, today we would scoot north on Hwy 101 along the coast to Newport, then head east on US 20, through Corvalis, cross I-5 at Albany in the Willamette valley, (where all that good wine we'd been drinking comes from), then follow the Santiem River upstream 'till we got back into the NF, and camp somewhere near Detroit (Oregon, NOT Michigan ) where we'd be back on track.

(click on image for access to a larger version -- try X3 or O)

Old 10-14-2009, 08:06 AM   #2339
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
You could show Doc Gonzo how this adventure thing works ha ?
He'd just complain -- why weren't we able to also grab some tag-o-rama's along the way?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #2340
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Heading north on 101

isn't near the water initially.

Just some river crossings;

As we were moving at highway speeds, it got chilly. We stopped in Coos Bay to put on another layer.

We saw a sign pointing to the post office, so we mailed the old stator / case / starter clutch back home. -- Roy, I have the other parts, I owe you a stator.