Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #16
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Exactly, and the reason for the "vapor lock" is due to the erronious routing of the canister drain tube, and the tube itself sucking up the water. Therefore, the problem is the drain tube, not the canister itself.
I agree that that's what has happened here.

But that's not what I was talking about. (And in all fairness, I think I used "vapor lock" erroneously.)

What I was referring to was when you dump the bike and it lays on its side allowing fuel to run from the tank into the canister. When that happens, the bike is either going to run very rich and thus poorly until the gas is burned out of the canister or, worse, it can cause the engine to lock and break. I know that's not a really good description of what happens, I just don't have the smarts to describe what happens properly.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:34 PM   #17
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
I agree that that's what has happened here.

But that's not what I was talking about. (And in all fairness, I think I used "vapor lock" erroneously.)

What I was referring to was when you dump the bike and it lays on its side allowing fuel to run from the tank into the canister. When that happens, the bike is either going to run very rich and thus poorly until the gas is burned out of the canister or, worse, it can cause the engine to lock and break. I know that's not a really good description of what happens, I just don't have the smarts to describe what happens properly.
Has that happened to you? I dumped mine on the right (canister) side last month and it sat there for at least 10 minutes until my buds missed me and backtracked (yes, I tried to pick it up, but it was at an awkward angle and I didn't feel like wrecking my back or unpacking it when I knew help was so close). Anyway, we righted it and it started and ran fine. I haven't made any changes to the canister or hose.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #18
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
Has that happened to you? I dumped mine on the right (canister) side last month and it sat there for at least 10 minutes until my buds missed me and backtracked (yes, I tried to pick it up, but it was at an awkward angle and I didn't feel like wrecking my back or unpacking it when I knew help was so close). Anyway, we righted it and it started and ran fine. I haven't made any changes to the canister or hose.
Not on my 800 because I removed the canister about an hour after I picked up the bike.

On my 1200 I had the lesser problem occur, i.e. ran like shit until the fuel burned off, after which I removed the canister. When I posted something on here about what happened, I was told by a few inmates that I was lucky the engine didn't lock.

I don't know if there's a difference between the canister in the 800 and the 1200.

I kept my canister and all the hoses and I can re-install it in about 20 minutes if need be.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #19
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,710
Sorry Griz, I was hot and grumpy

I believe there may also be an issue with fuel expansion in to the canister if you overfill the tank in hot weather.

I think this may have been causing my bike to run rough and stall at start-up, before I had the rain incident and subsequently removed the canister.

/

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote