User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #2356
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
It was a cool campground

maybe a little creepy. Furry monster trees...

a steep drop-off down to the river...

We set up the tent as the sun was going down behind the hills,

Maybe collected a bit too much firewood...

and while I cooked something from a can for dinner... (I can't remember what)

LDF explored the river and took some photos:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #2357
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Reflecting on the past few days

while sipping our hot cocoa as the cool night air crept in,

we were so grateful to be back on our route... and rather than regret that we hadn't been able to see Crater Lake, and explore some great routes that we had to skip, we talked about how we might be able to incorporate those things into future Mobius trips.

[you know you're doing well, and have absolutely nothing to complain about when your fall-back plan is to ride up the Oregon Coast on Highway 101]

Our stats for the day:

the elevations:

and what happens when you combine LDF + too much firewood + a couple of glasses of wine + almost bedtime =

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #2358
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,369
Hey David,
The video quality is very good. One more question about the vholdr camera... were you shooting on 60fps or HD? Have you decided on what is the best option? Trade-offs?
Thanks again,
Lion
(and it was really great to see the video of you and LDF arriving at the beach, at the end of the TAT, so that we, on our desks, could feel a vicarious sense of accomplishment as well)
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #2359
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
...One more question about the vholdr camera... were you shooting on 60fps or HD? Have you decided on what is the best option? Trade-offs?
After testing before the trip, I decided to shoot everything on HD... the only advantage to shooting at 60fps that I can see is that you could present the clip in slow-motion using some post-production software. Wasn't interested in that.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #2360
pit0rz
Off on a bimble...

Oddometer: 702
Still reading through M3... All I can say is WOW

WOW

take the long way home
pit0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #2361
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
past the Big Cliff Dam on the North Santiam River,... built in 1954 and recently repaired.

once we past Detroit Lake,

I've driven by these two places so many times on my way home (heading east) or going west to "The Valley", as it's known my side of the Cascades. Seems sorta surreal to see them on a RR written by a guy in NYC.

You guys put in some serious miles on this day, especially so considering you both have stock seats and ran nobby tires . At least you got Blueberry fixed in time to salvage some of the planned routes. Good job!!!

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #2362
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata
WOW....thanks for your vote of confidence Stuart and all your support on this trip.

LDF
You're welcome. I'm pretty sure that you and David would've been at least as helpful to me if I were riding in your neck of the woods, probably even more so. Glad I could do the little I did. I really believe in the "reap what you sow" thing.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #2363
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,454
Wow, I'm caught up now. Great report, I enjoyed the sights and the commentary of the west through your eyes. Your routes are great and the report awesome.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #2364
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,369
Thanks. Well, it looks great in HD. I've made my mind, and will get a vholdr.
Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
After testing before the trip, I decided to shoot everything on HD... the only advantage to shooting at 60fps that I can see is that you could present the clip in slow-motion using some post-production software. Wasn't interested in that.
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #2365
GOT DIRT?
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
WOW, Great RR. I want to buy a copy of that book.

AMA, BTR, AND NETRA MEMBER
GOT DIRT? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #2366
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,689
New ADV member here. I have been reading this thread for about two weeks now, and love it. Its like a great book.....but with pictures, and about motorcycles..and riding....just does not get better than that.

I am up to page 74...did I say book above..I meant novel.

As many have said.....it's great that you take the time and share the way you( and many ADV members do). Its great for many of us, that would love to take these kind of trips, but can't for whatever reason, to live vicariously through you experiences.

Post 1098........made me feel the need to reply now....
Quote:
If that makes any sense at all... let me rephrase: What I wanted was for stuff to work the way it was supposed to. Barring that, I want to be able to fix it in the field. Barring that, I want to be able to live without the thing, and not worry about it. None of that was happening.
That is a man thing....you want things to work like they are supposed to..and get pissed when they do not..ESPECIALLY when you really need them to. That, and wanting people do their jobs and do what they are supposed to. To say I am sympathetic to that line of thinking would be an understatement.

Anyway..looking forward to getting to the end of this thread..but in no rush since almost every post has something cool going on. Rock on and ride safe.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:18 AM   #2367
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Good morning, sunshine...

Time to wake up! For some reason, LDF was not wanting to roll out of the sack. Could have been the cold, could have been the wine... but I figured out a great way to extricate her from the warm sleeping bags...

I open the thermarest valve a crack, and let it slowly deflate while I make my escape.

emerson... that was for you.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:26 AM   #2368
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Wed. Sept. 23, 2009

This was our last day in Oregon, and is the day we got back on track, started heading north again up the Cascade range, past Mt. Jefferson, crossing the Clackamas river, past Timothy Lake, Mount Hood, and eventually stopping at Hood River.

(click on the image for access to larger versions -- try X3 or O)

Not the earliest start of the trip.

at the same time, we should have plenty of time to get to Seattle over the next two days without rushing, even with re-routes and stopping for photos.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:32 AM   #2369
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The temps

became dramatically warmer as we climbed out of the valley.

my routing was going well... we saw this sign,

but fortunately the road I had chosen went through.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:44 AM   #2370
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Up and around

a few more turns,

and we catch sight of this:

Mt. Jefferson, named by Lewis & Clark in 1806 after Pres. T. Jefferson who sponsored their expedition. It has 5 glaciers on it's slopes, and last erupted in 950AD.

The peak rises about a mile above the surrounding terrain, and we're about 15 miles away at this point.