Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2009, 07:55 AM   #2386
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
FInishing off the day

Menu scrutineering:

First course at Brian's Pour House... Mussels, shrimp, & fish I can't remember...

Mains: Tuna,

fish tacos;

desert, it sure was yummy, though.

All in all, absolutely stellar!

On the way out, we were able to meet Brian. It was great to meet him and be able to thank him personally for the great dining experience, and also, to make the connection in person thus completing the full loop from the person who asked us to stop by and say hello.

Facebook, Linkin, MySpace, and the rest ain't got NOTHIN' on real live conversations, shared interactions, and time spent being social in meatspace.

Stats for the day:

and elevations:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:51 AM   #2387
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Thursday, Sept. 24, 2009

We were up early, and actually rolling before breakfast was served at the hotel. We confirmed that the case guard RTV had dried:

and you will notice that I failed to disable the macro on the camera which I had set the night before while taking the food photos.

Fortunately, it only took a little ways before I noticed... bad news, though, is that during that time, we were travelling down the Columbia River, with the rising sun at our backs, and the light was spectacular.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #2388
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Today

we would try to put in a big day riding... Crossing the Columbia River, then heading downstream a bit before turning North again into the National Forest land. We'd be traveling West of Mt. Adams, well to the East of Mt. St. Helens, getting fuel at Packwood, then jumping on pavement to get around Mt. Rainier on the Eastern side, taking 410 over Chinook Pass. If all went well, we were aiming to get back on dirt, and camp somewhere along the Little Naches river.

(click on the image for access to larger versions -- try X3 or O to see more detail)

Old 10-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #2389
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We filled up with gas

and then headed for the 50¢ toll bridge across the Columbia River Gorge.

Have I ever mentioned that open grate bridges are high on the list of things-LDF-fears? Even up there with getting eaten by a bear?

When I saw that this one was open-grate, with no shoulder, windy as hell, with trucks coming in the opposite direction, and high above the water, I thought... uh oh.

We were connected with the Scalas, and honestly, I expected more swearing.

I think she's finally put this fear to rest.

We still gotta work on the bear thing before Alaska though.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #2390
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We only rode

along the Gorge for about 18 miles or so, and it was beautiful. At some point, I realized that I had the camera on macro, and disabled it.

Mt. Hood,

I was so glad we were riding this first thing in the morning with the light to our backs... the wind was ferocious... having the sun in our eyes, tired at the end of the day would have made for a totally different experience.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #2391
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I slowed down

coming up to this tunnel... I recognized these lava formations,

from our trip to Sicily...

when we visited Gola dell Alcántara:

These regularly ordered columns form when lava cools rapidly as happens when it meets water or ice. There are plenty of examples around the world... Devils Tower, Devils postpile, Giant's Causeway, etc.

Look, I'm a geologist!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #2392
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was another chilly morning

and thankfully, traffic was light.

Fog was rolling off the mountains. The road passed inlets on our right,

and the river on our left.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #2393
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The light

was magical, and looking at these photos now, I realize that I utterly failed to capture it.

Think Hudson Valley school of landscape artists, the luminists,... or someone like Albert Bierstadt:

Old 10-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #2394
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Soon,

we headed inland, and before we got too far away from civilization, we stopped at Carson for a cuppa joe;

two lanes dwindled to one,

and we climbed onto the dirt,

and into the clouds.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #2395
Ebbs15
Parttime Saddletramp

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock

and thankfully, traffic was light.

Fog was rolling off the mountains. The road passed inlets on our right,

and the river on our left.

MAN! these shots make me so home sick!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #2396
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The ridge

had a foggy side, and a sunny side:

where we were treated to some great views:

Mount Hood again:

Old 10-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #2397
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Even though

we were pushing for miles, we'd still stop and enjoy the surroundings.

There was time for introspection, and idle thoughts... conversation, and listening to music. It was a great ride.

Lush pine forest everywhere you looked,

slowly warming up, burning off the fog.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #2398
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A quick pit stop

to redistribute the coffee back to nature,

and then it was on to Goose Lake.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #2399
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

On the way

to Goose Lake, I think we got our only glimpse of Mount St. Helens:

But I'm not positive.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #2400
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I was having a blast

Can you see me smiling?

Some faster, graded gravel...

and then past Goose Lake:

Just a fleeting view... if we hadn't known it was there from the GPS, we might have missed it.

we passed a pick-up truck right about here,

but we didn't feel forlorn at all. (it actually looked like a great place to camp.) Then turned onto a smaller trail.