User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #2416
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,522
Mt. Saint Helens???

and a then little game of "catch Francine" through a choice, narrow, downhill special section:

I crack myself up, sometimes.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #2417
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Deep, dark, scary woods

"... cougars..." I said "cougars"

It's really a shame you can't hear her responses.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #2418
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Crossing Adams Creek

I don't know why I was taking so much video and why I was so chatty.

Mustav been in a good mood or sumfin.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #2419
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

So,

it's about 1:30pm, we've ridden about 120miles since morning. We're about 20 miles from Packwood, and life is good.

bikes are humming, the weather is fabulous, and we're having a grand time.

We're now on some wider, graded, DUSTY roads. We're moving along pretty good, and I'm tucked behind LDF, flanking her behind, and slightly to her left. As we get closer and closer to Packwood, we start to pass some vehicles parked on the side of the road, and she starts to get VERY concerned for my safety.

Our "discussion" ( ) escalates unitl...

Old 10-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #2420
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A few miles

before we got to Packwood, we got our first glimpse of Mt. Rainier.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #2421
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We emerged

from the woods at Johnson Creek, and had a couple of paved miles on US 12 to Packwood. Mount Rainier in the distance:

The next section up and around Rainier would be paved. Packwood would be our last big town for fuel and food until Seattle .

This would also be our last night camping, so we loaded up on groceries and wine,

split a roast beef deli sandwich, and hit the road.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #2422
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Hwy 123 to Hwy 410

climbing up to Chinook Pass. I must have hit a switch or knob on the regular camera, 'cause I've got a lot of blurry images. A few good ones, though. The video gives a good idea of the section.

these clips are just short sections of pavement riding... nothing special except for the views, which are pretty awesome.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #2423
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We pulled off

at the scenic overlook

and recorded a little video-update:

this is the view out over the valley where the Rainier fork of the American River runs.

The Pacific Crest trail runs along this ridge:

As far as I could tell, this was all Wilderness reserve, or National Park area, with a motorized vehicle (probably mountain bikes as well) prohibition as far as the eye can see.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:25 PM   #2424
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We followed the shelf road

down the valley,

for the next 25 miles, we passed nine national forest campgrounds... every one of which was closed.

At the bottom of the valley, we turned left to follow the Little Naches river...
Old 10-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #2425
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I figured,

worst case scenario, we cowboy camp.

We passed some cool lava cliffs:

a bunch of pull-outs for OHV parking...

and at campground #10... we got lucky, it was open!

Last night! we're gonna have a big-campfire hoe-down.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #2426
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Kaner Flat

has a bit of history...

(click on the photo for a larger version)

We got the tent set up,

firewood collected...

Bear rope strung up...

plugged in all the rechargables, pumped water from the well, and sat down for a proper and civilized ...
Old 10-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #2427
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Cocktail hour

that's what I'm talkin' about.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #2428
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Stats

for the day:

and elevations:

Old 10-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #2429
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We wound down

the evening, with a fine meal of mac & cheese, and Dinty Moore stew...

a campfire - hoe-down, and no bears.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #2430
Whosoever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
What a nice campfire chat....

.... it was great to see the interaction between you two as "we all sat around the campfire".....really neat! Well, this ride is almost over and that is a bummer! Tomorrow we do Seattle and then I guess we go back to what we were doing before "we all " started this ride. Soooooooooooooo, the obvious question is....."where are we going next and when do we leave"? I promise...no more "bear stories"....and you're in luck....I don't have any "cougar stories" either! This is has been so much fun......YES!
Whosoever is offline   Reply With Quote