User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #2431
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
End is near! Darn.

What a saga. Thanks for the memories. I almost don't want to read the Seattle section as it will really end with a return to NYC.

Best wishes for a winter of planning. I'll be doin' th same in Denver.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:59 PM   #2432
RenoDeano
High Desert Drifter

Oddometer: 99
Cougar, WA

What is it with "Cougar" lately? You see the word everywhere... am I missing something?

When I was living over on the Olympic Peninsula I visited the "other side" after Mt St. Helens erupted. Visited Cougar and saw why it was named so. There are pictures in restrurants depicting massive cougar hunts that killed 30 or more cats in a week of hunting. BTW, ash from Mt St Helens fell on us a year later, after circling the earth at high altitude.

Plated 2009 Husaberg FE 570, Plated 2001 DRZ 400E; 2006 DR650;1972 Yamaha CT2, 2007 400 & 800 CanAm Outlander.

Member of the Dust Devils MC of Reno Nevada. Home of the annual Ride Reno 200 Dual Sport Ride.

http://www.dustdevilsmc.com/forum/index.php

RenoDeano screwed with this post 10-22-2009 at 11:00 PM Reason: Spelling check
RenoDeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #2433
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,744
Awesome RR. How about a wrap up with...

What worked, what didn't? (if anything)
Anything you took that you didn't need, or what you wish you'd taken.
What would you do differently next time? (if anything)
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #2434
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone
Awesome RR. How about a wrap up with...

What worked, what didn't? (if anything)
Anything you took that you didn't need, or what you wish you'd taken.
What would you do differently next time? (if anything)
Am I getting the hook?

Oh, I will comment on what worked and didn't and the rest ... but, um, I'm not sure you understand how this Mobius thing works...

It doesn't actually "wrap up" until either the bikes die, or we do.

I'm going through the rest of the video & photos now... We've still got a great day of riding, and a day packing up the bikes and gear, and then hanging out in Seattle to conclude M-4, and then we start planning for Mobius V -- Seattle to Anchorage, June '10.

By the way, I've also been trying to keep the index updated on the first post of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Why Mobius? It's surface forms a continuous and ongoing path. It forms interconnected links when cut down the center. It's disorienting. It's a simple concept that's hard to describe. Enough rhetoric.

The kernel of the idea of the trip started around the end of '07. We floated the concept and fine-tuned it in a thread titled: "Dedicated trip bikes: Fly-ride-store-repeat?" in the Trip Planning forum, and we thank those who have helped and advised along the way.

So this is the first post, of the first leg, of an ongoing ride report, chronicling each stage of my and Francine's (La Donna Fugata... or LDF)'s project... throwing into the mix what works and what doesn't for anyone else who may want to keep a couple of itinerant migratory motorcycles as pets.
Quote:
In a nutshell: Keep our main bikes in NYC, and buy two DRZ400's. Whenever we can coordinate a 1 or 2 week vacation, ride the DRZ's from wherever we left off, to the next destination. Cover as much remote, isolated dirt, forest service, logging roads and jeep trails as possible. Camp and cook on our own mostly, hotel when we must. Ditch the bikes in a storage unit somewhere, fly home. REPEAT!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #2435
KI6HNB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
and then we start planning for Mobius V -- Seattle to Anchorage, June '10.

Awesome! Can't wait.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #2436
luckyjim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Drz.....

Great RR.... We made a big loop(2-up on a Vstrom most on tar) last spring in the west and alotta places you came up for air(on tar)from the Grandcanyon to Crater Lk and back to Denver we hit some of the same gas stations.... All I could think was there is more I want to see.... so we bought a DRZ and looking for another... because of the bike I ran across your RR and started on day1 a couple weeks ago! My biggest question is if you were going to pick a gastank witch one would you chose? Are 2 littler bottles of exlpoding sweet cheeks the answer?.... or the 7.5 gal tank looks like the BLOB is swallowing your bike! In MN every small town has gas! in the west is different and as I read your report.... its always looking for gas. let me know what you think and thanks for the good read.
luckyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #2437
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyjim
...there is more I want to see.... so we bought a DRZ and looking for another... ...if you were going to pick a gastank witch one would you chose? Are 2 littler bottles of exlpoding sweet cheeks the answer?.... or the 7.5 gal tank looks like the BLOB is swallowing your bike! In MN every small town has gas! in the west is different and as I read your report.... its always looking for gas. let me know what you think and thanks for the good read.
A couple of thoughts. First, congrats! , once you leave the pavement, it's like entering a parallel universe... a wormhole in both space and time... sometimes you won't believe you're still in the United States, or in this century.

Any of the 4gal drz gas tanks are plenty for out west. (IMS, Clarke, Acerbis). Check out ThumperTalk's drz forum, or the drz thread here for specific considerations for each. Sweet cheeks, while great for long days on the drz butt-plank, are NOT the solution for fuel storage. I've already got a post or two referring to the issue here on this thread. When I get a chance, I'll link back to them. [edit; i found the post]

On M-4 we didn't put fuel in the sweet cheeks once, though they carried spare water plenty of times.

It's not so much "looking for gas" -- if you have to search, you're doomed...it's making sure your route passes where you KNOW it is, and making sure you don't pass up any other opportunities along the way.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #2438
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Wow.....

.......I have finally come to the end.....current end anyway, of this thread. Reading it evenings, and on lunches, it has taken a good two weeks.

Great stuff...thanks for sharing. Even if most of us can not do a trip to this extent, it's certainly inspirational to just get out there and do something.

Personally, I will be looking for a new/used dual sport bike come this spring.
For now, I stay on the pavement.

Thanks again.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:35 PM   #2439
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:

It's not so much "looking for gas" -- if you have to search, you're doomed...it's making sure your route passes where you KNOW it is, and making sure you don't pass up any other opportunities along the way.
One "rule of thumb" a friend of mine who has done a lot of offroad travel out here in Eastern OR and Northern NV uses is SEE GAS, GET GAS. He has always run oversized fuel tanks on his dual sports. I don't think you need the Safari 7.4G monstrosity but 4-4.25 will get you by just fine on a DRZ. It will average 50-53 mpg on the hiway when ridden sanely. But Doc is correct about the planning thing: if you do good planning before you leave, you should be fine. Adventure will happen reguardless of good planning.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #2440
RenoDeano
High Desert Drifter

Oddometer: 99
Alaska

The TAT is more interesting than Alaska. Roam around BC, Alberta and the Yukon is better. Hell, even Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana are more interesting riding. BTW, bears (the type than eat pepper spray , 9mm bullets, and whistles) are a real problem when camping out above the 45th Parallel. You cannot legally carry guns unless you are a Canadian. Dean

Plated 2009 Husaberg FE 570, Plated 2001 DRZ 400E; 2006 DR650;1972 Yamaha CT2, 2007 400 & 800 CanAm Outlander.

Member of the Dust Devils MC of Reno Nevada. Home of the annual Ride Reno 200 Dual Sport Ride.

http://www.dustdevilsmc.com/forum/index.php
RenoDeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #2441
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Doc Rock and LDF.....here is a thread, from anther board, where my buddy did the TAT. Reading your thread, and seeing all the pics, has made me go back and re-read his thread again. It's really cool to see the same things and locations in the photos, and see what each of you had to say about them.

You probably already have read plenty of TAT threads.....but you may enjot this one as well.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=54706
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #2442
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,744
You've seen but a small fraction of the west! You could spend months and months more wandering around out here.
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #2443
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Friday, Sept. 25, 2009

It was a chilly night... SOMEone wasn't very enthusiastic to get out of bed... and so someone else had to let the air out of her air mattress AGAIN.

We didn't exactly get off to the earliest start, but oh well.

In Hood River, we had cell service and I had managed to touch base with the storage facility to reconfirm the reservation. Since they had office hours on Saturday, I had already decided that we wouldn't need to get to Seattle by any specific time today.

That said, we didn't want today to be an epic off-road marathon. No break downs, no crashes, etc. Just a lovely day riding back-country forest service roads, trying to wind our way into Seattle using as little pavement as possible, and maybe meet some of our Seattle friends for dinner or drinks.

(click on the map for access to a larger version (try X3 or O):

It turned out to be one of the sweetest day's riding we've had.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #2444
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A short stretch

of pavement, just to get warmed up...

past an open gate, and onto the dirt.

The routing for this section was challenging, it's necessary to avoid a whole area that's closed off being that it's Seattle's watershed. ADV'er John_L was extraordinarily helpful in the pre-trip planning. We'd be riding a couple sections following tracks that he had sent me, and others that I had scoped out on GoogleEarth and tried to confirm using the Garmin Topo's, and the Benchmark Atlas.

I wasn't positive that we'd be able to stick to the route as planned... but there were several bail-out opportunities that would put us on pavement directed to Seattle, so we could always pull a Rosie Ruiz if we had to.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #2445
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were back into

logging country.

Trees were either clear-cut, or enormous.