Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #2461
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
We passed under

a BNSF railroad trestle,

and we figured we were starting to make our way back into civilization.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #2462
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2beers

Today's and all the earlier saga reports have inspired me to work on a similar, as much dirt as possible, but North-South adventure route from Vancouver Canada to Mexico. My research has so far identified bits and pieces of a route, but I am still a long way from having a complete path..
Jerry Counts has been running his Mexico to Canada rides for a long time although I don't think they run as far west as Vancouver.

Like everyone else following this Mobius ride, I like forward to reading more and seeing what adventures lie in the future! This report has made me realize that I don't always need to do an entire trip at one time. Can always leave a bike in a storage unit and come back to finish another time. Make a lot of sense for those of us that can't just leave for a month at a time.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #2463
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Had a little pucker moment

when we saw this sign,

but realized that it was to keep vehicles away from the creek, and on the designated road that we were on.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #2464
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We followed the power lines

up and over Stampede Pass.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #2465
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
David,

I'd just like to thank you for putting in the info links on the places you guys visited along the way, like Stampede Pass in the WA Cascades. I confess I haven't always checked them but I've noticed it from the beginning of M-1 and I think it shows how much you care and thought you put into the RR. THANKS!

Stuart

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:29 PM   #2466
MeLikeCookies
Chomping At the Bit

Oddometer: 10
I have to second that...

I've been following your RR, and the links you put in a both informative and helpful with planning my own visits to places you guys have been "around." I have to confess I'm not nearly as off the grid as you are.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #2467
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

About the links

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLikeCookies
...the links you put in a both informative and helpful with planning my own visits to places you guys have been "around."...
It's kind of interesting. I confess, I never was a big history buff. And honestly, when I'm planning our route, my main considerations are logistic... making sure there's gas available, the roads are not paved, we're keeping on public land, etc.

When we're out there riding, however, I look around, and start to wonder about where we are, and what went on here, and who discovered it, and etc... you know, the history of the place.

So later, I get to writing up the ride report, and I'm in front of the computer, and connected into the interweb, and then all those questions I was asking out on the trail come flooding back to me, and I start looking stuff up, and, man, I'll spend HOURS reading stuff that, before I was there, would have put me into a deep delta-wave sleep within minutes.

Because even I would have found stuff like,

"...To operate the line the Northern Pacific ordered the two largest steam locomotives in the world (at that time). Despite their size, the heavy grades meant one locomotive was stationed at each end of their five-car trains. Trains took an hour and fifteen minutes to traverse the eight-mile (13 km)-long switchback. A brakeman riding the rooftops every two cars. The first experimental train over the switchback was on June 6, 1887. The first scheduled passenger train over the switchback arrived in Tacoma at 7:15 PM on July 3, 1887."

boring as hell, I don't include much of it in my narrative, but since I've done the digging and found the links, I hook them in for future reference, and on the off-chance that some other oddball might be interested too.

So there you have it. Apparently, I am destined to remain unenthusiastic about history until I've actually been to a place... then, I can't get enough.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #2468
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

On the other side

of Stampede Pass, was Interstate-90. It was past noon. Getting warm. The prospect of riding superslab to end the trip was not appealing.

John_L had provided an alternate route which ran on forest service roads alongside (and occasionally between) the interstate. The first section paralleled I-90 clear on the other side of Keechelus Lake. John had warned that there was a loose hill climb, and a water crossing, but that it would keep us off the interstate.

LDF, meanwhile, had made it abundantly clear that she did NOT want to engage in any gnarly or highly technical riding... we had places to be and people to see in Seattle, and a biff or a break would have been a huge hassle... not to mention that we were hot and sweaty, tired and hungry... and there was a hotel room with a shower with our name on it waiting for us.

So when the trail deteriorated significantly... (that's a bit of an understatement)... into steep, loose, baby-head type rock, and I couldn't definitively say that it wouldn't get worse, or how long it would last... well... she kind of had a melt-down.

I know, it doesn't look all that bad... and if we had encountered this on any other day than our last one we'd have dealt with it, and had fun... but she made it clear, in no uncertain terms that I needed to figure out an alternative route... even if it meant hitting the interstate.

Now. I admit. I can be stubborn. I can be manipulative. But I also can recognize a certain tone of voice which says "this is NOT negotiable". And I think she knows it too... it's a card she has up her sleeve, and she's not afraid to play it. It's like having a "safe" word or something. And I contend, that doing so is the functional equivalent of any manipulation that I have ever been accused of perpetrating.

In other words... I just got played.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #2469
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Yeah,

...I was a bit disappointed.

this wasn't how I wanted Mobius-4 to end.

I felt my gaze drift across the lake onto the hill where we had been riding...

oh well... hey... I'll get over it. We needed to fill up with gas.

So we get off at the next exit with gas, and I recognize that this is where that technical trail would have spit us out, and from there, the rest of the way to Seattle is on more regular roads, but not on the interstate, and I clarify with LDF that it's not that she wanted to just get to Seattle as fast as possible, but that she just didn't want to ride that one section.

Of course, "duh, you idiot", she said... let's get back on the John_L route and ride the Mobius train into the station.

So we did.

If you can believe it, the above road is situated between the east and west-bound lanes of I-90. See for yourself:

Old 10-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #2470
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The next 20 or so miles

alternated... one exit on the interstate, then a stretch of dirt...

It was a good way to finish out... it felt like we were sneaking into Seattle via the backyard.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #2471
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Highlights

In North Bend, I spied a motorcyclist with an ADV sticker on his fender.

At the red light, I pulled up next to him and motioned for him to raise his shield, and yelled, "hey, you're going to be in our ride report!" as I snapped his photo:

We turned right, he went straight. Hi, whoever you are.

Can you tell we'd been away from civilization in the woods a little too long?

A little ways further, we stopped to check out a piece of big-ass tree:

(click on the image to access a larger, legible version -- try X3 or O)

Russian mafia, I think.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #2472
Staxrider
dirt dauber

Oddometer: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
boring as hell, I don't include much of it in my narrative, but since I've done the digging and found the links, I hook them in for future reference, and on the off-chance that some other oddball might be interested too.

Staxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #2473
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Next stop

Snoqualmie falls:

Someone offered to take our photo together, and since we were no longer fighting, we agreed.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-25-2009 at 10:11 PM
Old 10-25-2009, 10:23 PM   #2474
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The rest of the way

into Seattle was uneventful.

We arrived at the hotel, dusty, stinky, and dirty... but everyone was nice enough, and we got cleaned up, and as luck would have it, our friend Christine was picking up her husband Kent from the airport, and our friend Lisa was just getting off work, so they all swung by the hotel which was close to the airport, and we all went out to eat at a fantastic Brazilian grill called Ipanema.

Stats,

and elevations for the day:

Old 10-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #2475
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Saturday, Sept. 26, 2009

We woke up early, separated gear, and loaded up the bikes so we could be at the storage unit shortly after they opened,

do the paperwork, check in, and still have some time to enjoy the day with Lisa in Seattle before our flight left at 10:30pm.

We met Tanna, who was lovely. I gotta say, we've had good experiences each time we've left the bikes in storage. I call ahead, and talk to the managers, and generally get a feel for if we're within their comfort zone or not. I gotta say, the independents have been way more accommodating, friendly, and all around able to not stress over our unorthodox situation* than the chains.

* "Hi, I'm calling from New York City, is it possible for me to rent a 5X10 storage unit for six months and keep two motorcycles in there... by the way, we'll be arriving either late in the day, or on a weekend, and we'll have a flight back to NYC that same day, so this can not get screwed up. Oh, and we won't be reachable for the two weeks before we show up."

Independent storage facility = National chain storage facility =

Except for in Reno. That was a Public Storage, and they were cool. But not as cool as Tanna.

I had sent her a link to our Spot page, and she had been tracking us, and checking in to this thread, and was genuinely interested in our ride... she rides ATV's, and I think she said her dad had a DRZ.

She set us up with a 10X5 unit instead of a 5X10 unit 'cause she thought it would be easier to get the bikes in there, and she was correct: