User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
65 Flathead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
DIY Heat Controller for heated gear

Some of you may be following my thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514532 where I built my own heated jacket liner and gloves. Now for the heat controller.

As best I can tell, all the brand name heat controllers work off of PWM (Pulse Width Modulation). The circuit modulates (or cycles) off and on at a set frequency. In the case of mine 100 hz. I have read some posts that say this frequency may cause annoying interference with communications and audio gear, and the frequency should be reduced to 10 hz. I have no installed audio on my bikes so this is not a problem.
With the frequency being constant, what you are varying is the relation of “on time” versus “off time” on each cycle. This is referred to as % Duty Cycle. For example, at 100 hz, each cycle will last one hundredth of a second (.01 sec). At a lower setting, the on time for each cycle may be 20 % of the cycle time, or .002 sec, and the off time would be 80 % (.008). At a higher setting the numbers would reverse (80% on vs 20% off) These numbers are infinitely variable between 0 and 100% duty cycle.
This is a very effective and efficient method of regulating power.

While scrounging around thru my myriad piles of junk (I mean spare parts), I realized that I didn’t have all the components I needed to build a duel heat controller (15 amp PWM circuits) at my immediate disposal, and would have to break down and buy some materials. In my search, I stumbled across these units at http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/MX033 . They are already assembled and tested, and as cheap as I could buy the individual components.

The only drawback with these is size. Using two of them for duel control of my jacket and gloves makes for a bulky package. I ordered the project boxes that the website listed as the correct size, but they weren’t. Fortunately they were big enough to fit both circuit cards in one with some modification.

I completed all the wiring before installing everything in the box.

Then installed.

While I used Size N coax power connectors on the output to be compatible with the brand name gear, I used the trusty SAE connector to connect power to the bike.

I removed a strong magnet off of one of those magnetic mechanic parts bowls and glued a piece of that super grip material advertised to stick on the dash of your car and hold your cell phone in place at 12 G’s or some such nonsense.

I then glued this to the bottom of the box.

I just stick it on my gas tank, plug it in, and go. I wanted my unit to be portable from bike to bike, otherwise, I would have removed the potentiometers from the circuit board, ran some shielded wire to a small box mounted around the handlebars, and tucked the rest out of the way.

I went on a 50 mile test run just to try everything out, and it was wonderful!! This is my first experience with heated gear, but that one ride has changed my priorities on it. Riding year round, I no longer see this as a luxury, but a necessity.

In retrospect, I must admit that I only saved about 30 bucks over the Warm and Safe duel controller, and don’t have nearly as compact a unit. Had I been making only a single controller, and had he box fit correctly, it would have been a good deal. Unless you’re a really hardcore do it yourselfer of just don’t have anything else to do, don’t try this at home kids.
65 Flathead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,470
nice job, if you every go to V 2.0 an easier, simpler and much cheaper solution is to pick up a PWM controller designed to control a couple of PC fans. Some of them are overbuilt and can handle 10amps and they usually run about $10 at an online pc mod shop. If you get one designed to fit in a 3.5" bay it can be very small and easy to mount either permanently or in a little control box if you want to velcro it to your tank or handlebars.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
65 Flathead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Good Idea, I have seen those, but didn't know they would handle that much load. Thanks
Old 10-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

as long as you pick one up that uses pulse width modulation to lower output instead of a rheostat and it can handle at least 10 amps PER CHANNEL you'll be fine. They even sell em as kits without mounting hardware so you can mount it anywhere you like.

Mine is mounted in a radioshack project box which is U bolted to the center of my handlebars on my cruiser (no plastic to mount switches and knobs)
Old 10-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
JStancampiano
PhotoJoe

Oddometer: 384
Found these.

http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/MX033
Old 10-30-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
65 Flathead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStancampiano
That's the one I used. It works great, just make sure to secure the heat sink somehow. It's not attached to the circuit board, just the MOSFET. Vibration would break it if not secured.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
lovias
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
electronics

65 Flathead--speaking of heat! The previous owner of my Connie C-10 installed 2 BMW outlets in the faring. How can I determine if they are safe to use for my electric jacket/gloves? She lived in Texas, a bit warmer down there I think, and her mechanic is somewhere even further away. Thank you.
lovias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
65 Flathead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovias
How can I determine if they are safe to use for my electric jacket/gloves?
First of all, you’ll need to determine what size wire is going to the connectors. With heated jacket and gloves you “shouldn’t “draw more than 10 amps with everything on wide open. For 10 amps you need at least 18 AWG wire between the battery and connector. 16 would be better bringing your safe limit up to 20 amps. Of course a 20 amp draw in addition to headlights and ignition would be putting your alternator near cardiac arrest, but I like a little overkill on my wiring. Next I would make sure the wires going to the connectors were fused as close to the battery as possible. This protects your system in case tour controller shorts out or the wire going to the connectors shorts against the frame. If all you are running is your heat controller on the circuit, I would go with a 10 amp fuse, this should protect the wiring, and still give you the power you need for the heat.

Hope this helps
Old 10-30-2009, 11:36 PM   #9
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
nice job, if you every go to V 2.0 an easier, simpler and much cheaper solution is to pick up a PWM controller designed to control a couple of PC fans. Some of them are overbuilt and can handle 10amps and they usually run about $10 at an online pc mod shop. If you get one designed to fit in a 3.5" bay it can be very small and easy to mount either permanently or in a little control box if you want to velcro it to your tank or handlebars.
Is this what you're talking about? I want to try to make the heated gloves. Thanks.

theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
dfc
Reluctant Cannonball

Oddometer: 2,752
I applaud your effort,nicely done, even if a bit bulky. I wired in one of those q-kit pwm's for my liner. I even wired a potentiometer with an on/off switch remotely and stashed the rest of the board under the tank. In my opinion it had a problem at the low to med range supplying power.

YMMV
Old 10-31-2009, 07:33 AM   #11
65 Flathead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc
I wired in one of those q-kit pwm's for my liner. I even wired a potentiometer with an on/off switch remotely and stashed the rest of the board under the tank. In my opinion it had a problem at the low to med range supplying power.

YMMV
Did you use shielded wire to your pot? If not, this may have been the root of your ptoblem. I checked both of mine with an amp meter and I seem to have a steady range with pots mouned on the board.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:48 AM   #12
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWolfTamer
Is this what you're talking about? I want to try to make the heated gloves. Thanks.

No clue, you would have to check the specs on it before ordering it up. But judging by the tiny size of the box, I'd say probably a bit weak, maybe for gloves but not a 100w liner.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #13
lovias
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
65 Flathead--Thank you.
lovias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
65 Flathead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovias
65 Flathead--Thank you.
My pleasure
Old 11-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #15
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
I used one of the qkits and stuffed it into a cheap $2 walmart camera case. Threw it on the belt of my jacket and have easy access to adjust it.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote