Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2007, 10:56 AM   #46
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
I do agree Stopping the bike from starting is a little much, specially since the kick stand Switch is the last thing you think about when your are trouble shoting..

I love the idea of the Big RED blinky light to tell you "Hey DummAss, landing gear up..!!!!!!!!!!"

I'm sure I can implement something like that with out much trouble.
Great idea. When you do post your wiring and switch location. There are warning lights for low tire pressures, open doors, etc. on cars and none of them stall the motor. If a red light kept blinking because it was shorted out you could keep on going and ignore the light but a dead motor is not helpful.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:50 PM   #47
jlc
Back in the Saddle Again

Oddometer: 50
what next - an air bag?

It seems wierd to me that someone who would ride a bike like the KTM Adventure would be "into" stuff like a side stand safety switch. If one was so concerned with being protected from every possible impact of every possible mistake why would they ride a bike at all. Haven't you heard? These things are dangerous - all my friends say so. I mean what happens if you fall off? Is there a safety switch for that too? What if you forget to look in the mirror before you change lanes and hit a car? What if you take off too fast at an interesection and get hit by a guy running a red light? What if you lose traction, hitting sand in a corner? Can we create some device that will protect us from all that too? Really - if you want to make sure nothing bad happens - STAY HOME. Of course then you'd need a switch in your favorite arm chair telling you that you'd grown so friggin fat you were about to have a heart attack.
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:34 AM   #48
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 885
SafetyCrats

Right on, JLC!

You may be too young to remember Joan Claybrook's engineer designed safety cycle at the federal Dept. of Transportation. It was a two wheel car essentially with a cage around the rider, a recumbent position, safety skid bars, etc. However, it was unrideable and on its first and only outing the engineer "riding" it was injured.

I think the safetycrats should stay with lead based paint on toys, toxic ingredients in food, tires that fail, etc. from China (or anywhere) and not add safety "features" to products that work.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #49
eral
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Center stand?

It is a bit concerning indeed if that switch can make you stall during a water crossing. What about the center stand? Doesn't it have a switch too?
eral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #50
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by eral
It is a bit concerning indeed if that switch can make you stall during a water crossing. What about the center stand? Doesn't it have a switch too?
No, it does not. I ride off my centerstand once in a while, when not loaded down.

I did the sidestand mod, very easy to do! Lost a few ounces in wire and the switch itself.
DakarNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:02 PM   #51
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,322
Bumping an old thread here....

I never bothered to short the kickstand switch, figuring if it ever did fail, it would be easy enough to fix in the field.

I was crossing a pretty deep stream the other day and the bike stalled in a fairly deep section. Exhaust and intake where above water, so I restarted and tried to take off... It stalled every time I let the clutch out. It didn't dawn on me until later in the ride that it very likely was the sidestand switch...

Now it's gotta go!
Old 07-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #52
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb
Bumping an old thread here....

I never bothered to short the kickstand switch, figuring if it ever did fail, it would be easy enough to fix in the field.

I was crossing a pretty deep stream the other day and the bike stalled in a fairly deep section. Exhaust and intake where above water, so I restarted and tried to take off... It stalled every time I let the clutch out. It didn't dawn on me until later in the ride that it very likely was the sidestand switch...

Now it's gotta go!
Thats odd - is the sidestand switch normally-open or normally-closed? I would have thought the latter... in which case, Im wondering why water would affect it?
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #53
nomiles
Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer: 3,978
Timely post in Face Plant.

Friend killed by kick stand being down. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366493
Old 07-29-2008, 09:33 AM   #54
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat
just say no to nanny electronics.
Like oil lights, turn signals, fuel injection, neutral lights, fuel lights and electric starters ...

How about just making the freaking kick-strand switch waterproof and mounting it up tighter?
azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #55
Plothond
Pretoria, South Africa

Oddometer: 40
The mod is fine on the 950 and easy to do - as illustrated in the first post.

I had the same problem in Lesotho last year when the bike bottomed out over a rut and cut out. Luckily I suspected the s/s switch and the problem was sorted quick quick.

However the 990 is different. The switch operates on the "Hall generator" principle and admittedly I havn't figured out how to bypass it yet - but not as easy as on the 950
Plothond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #56
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plothond

However the 990 is different. The switch operates on the "Hall generator" principle and admittedly I havn't figured out how to bypass it yet - but not as easy as on the 950
IIRC you need part 61011046044.

http://www.ktm950.info/how/wotf/wotf.html
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #57
Killer Whale KTM
Life is the adventure!

Oddometer: 711
WHOH !!
You mean the reason my wires are bkack blue and red ...and the reason why I can't tie them together any way and make them work is there is no "trailside" fix for the my 990?
Help me , Even though I got it home ,what if I was still Trailside ?
Thanks
Killer Whale KTM
Old 11-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #58
Pax
shazam.

Oddometer: 814
KW:

The 990 makes use of a magnetic switch called a Hall Switch. In order to fix the 990 side-stand, you need to either use a premade bypass part or build your own.

I built my own a few thousand miles ago by shortening the switch up inside the bike and then epoxying the magnet to the body of the switch. I then encased the whole switch in epoxy to prevent it from being broken loose. It is cheap and works.

The other way to fix your side-stand is to purchase a bypass switch that is made by KTM (go figure). If you have an extra switch, you could leave your current sidestand alone and then install the bypass part trailside if your current setup broke somehow. I was concerned I'd break the magnet off mid-ride and then not figure out what was up in the middle of nowhere so I fixed it as a prophylactic measure. Installing the pre-made switch is literally plug and play - quite easy.

I happen to have a spare switch laying around (never used). If you want it I'll sell it for 25 bones (they are 35 new on ktm twins).

-Pax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale KTM
WHOH !!
You mean the reason my wires are bkack blue and red ...and the reason why I can't tie them together any way and make them work is there is no "trailside" fix for the my 990?
Thanks
Killer Whale KTM

“Character is much easier kept than recovered.” –Thomas Paine
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #59
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale KTM
WHOH !!
Thanks
Killer Whale KTM
Trailside sidestand fix for the 990 is to short the clutch switch. With the clutch shorted, it never reads the sidestand switch, so you can just unplug it / do what ever you like.
You also don't need to carry any extra tools / wire / crap to short the clutch switch, just pullback the insulation the plug the two female connectors together.

--EDIT--
Note, you have to actually unplug the sidestand switch for this to work, you can't leave it connected. No need to short any sidestand switch wires, just the clutch switch

Sheep Shagger screwed with this post 11-09-2009 at 06:25 PM
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #60
Pax
shazam.

Oddometer: 814
SS -

Can you post a pic of the clutch switch bypass you describe?

Also, are there any other consequences to disabling the clutch switch?

-Pax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Shagger
Trailside sidestand fix for the 990 is to short the clutch switch. With the clutch shorted, is never reads the sidestand switch, so you can just unplug it / do what ever you like.
You also don't need to carry any extra tools / wire / crap to short the clutch switch, just pullback the insulation the plug the two female connectors together.

“Character is much easier kept than recovered.” –Thomas Paine
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote