ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2004, 08:32 PM   #1
scorch OP
Poser

Oddometer: 3,351
anyone riding tommorow dec 25?

Who is riding tommorow. I rode today, only saw 1 other rider.

Id like to ride around the northern va area, perhaps hit crozet va.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 09:07 PM   #2
blacksan
Rev Limiter

Oddometer: 4,251
Thumb Crozet

If you hit Crozet any other time you need to try Crozet Pizza!!! That place rocks!!!
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 11:50 PM   #3
Darin
WYSIWYG (WIZ-zee-wig)

Oddometer: 594
on the other coast

I'll be out --early just before sunrise. Lots of twisties to cover.

Merry Christmas !!

Darin
- pencils miss spel words
- cars make people drive drunk.
- Spoons made Rosie O’Donnell fat.

I'm a firm believer of the 2nd Amendment

http://ktmdarin.smugmug.com

Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 04:59 AM   #4
4SEVEN3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 996
Cool! I thought I was the only knuckle head riding today!

Hope everyone has a nice ride!
4SEVEN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 11:33 AM   #5
CityClip
Upgraded to Scooterdom

Oddometer: 843
I rode on the 24th. I went into work and I said F that. It's Xmas Eve and it's my damn birthday. Dammit. So I do my usual near-DC ride up the river a bit and into upper Monkey County. Coming back down 270 I decide to have a little fun popping the throttle a bit. I had a LEO behind me and didn't realize it. He pulled me over and told me I was doing 87. 5 points and $275. But it was Xmas Eve and it was my birthday and I was reeeel polite. So the guy lets me off with 2 points and $75. It was wall to wall LEOs on 270. Jeezus. I did see a guy going north on a black Adventure, didn't recognize...

CityClip
Old 12-25-2004, 01:00 PM   #6
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,548
I loaded the presents on the GS, fired up the gear and headed 320 miles to Virginia Beach, breakfast with Poonie along the way was appreciated.

Oh yeah, it was 9 degrees when I left Christiansburg.
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 01:27 PM   #7
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,221
Left the family after we opened up the stuff and took off around noonish today. Ohh Merry Holidays everybody! CityClip - Happy birthday but that's what you get for ridin on I270. ... Just got back from a little jaunt around Monkey county and whereabouts.... The Gerbing fired up fine and the tootsies stayed toasty for the first 70 miles. Tomorrow should be a good day for riding, gas tank is topped off, I hear StoryMitchell is going out - let's meet up.
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 01:35 PM   #8
scorch OP
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eap
Left the family after we opened up the stuff and took off around noonish today. Ohh Merry Holidays everybody! CityClip - Happy birthday but that's what you get for ridin on I270. ... Just got back from a little jaunt around Monkey county and whereabouts.... The Gerbing fired up fine and the tootsies stayed toasty for the first 70 miles. Tomorrow should be a good day for riding, gas tank is topped off, I hear StoryMitchell is going out - let's meet up.
Did about 200 miles today, man all these places were deserted. I rode by smoe touristy places, and it seemed like ghost towns. It was fun as hell, the roads are really clean.

Anyone up for a ride tommorow? Around the MD area?
Old 12-25-2004, 01:56 PM   #9
harpoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
I loaded the presents on the GS, fired up the gear and headed 320 miles to Virginia Beach, breakfast with Poonie along the way was appreciated.

Oh yeah, it was 9 degrees when I left Christiansburg.
That wasn't breakfast, that was my Christmas dinner.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:18 PM   #10
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
Did about 200 miles today, man all these places were deserted. I rode by smoe touristy places, and it seemed like ghost towns. It was fun as hell, the roads are really clean.

Anyone up for a ride tommorow? Around the MD area?
Yeah - what about meeting in Fredneck - the HD shop on Rt 355 or at the Perkins Resturant just past the HD shop - say 0900.
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
Old 12-27-2004, 10:13 PM   #11
Darin
WYSIWYG (WIZ-zee-wig)

I woke up at 6am on Christmas morning...., fed the dog, geared up and headed out --temp was low 40's off to some SOCAL twisties. Rode out toward Lower Otay lakes then right on 94 East, about 15 miles later a tooka chance ona new road that was calling me, it ended a dead end road, for a cruiser but not for the 640 Adv. The road turned into a BLM fire road, snaking up the mountian with awesome sceans of Mexico and the city of San Diego. Some areas had shear drop off's as it snaked up the mountain --about a 1,500 foot oh shit I hope I don't end up down there, Knees tight against the tank, sitting closer as well and taking it slow, roads were gravel so it was slow going, met some Border Patrol agents and wished them well, one trail was "ride at your own risk" it was not maintained and there were deep ruts and washes, with rather big rocks to nav around --it was a fun trail. 37 miles later I was back on the pavement, the road all to myself, loving every second of it, the air was still crisp and not a soul to be found. I was heading out to Campo on Hwy 94 and before I got there, noticed some more dirt trails so off I went, mind you I'm solo on this trip, all new territory for me, wasn't scared, but made mental notes of what hills I was dropping out of site on and wondering if I was going to find my way back out, most of the trails I took were power line narrow roads, full of ruts, washed out areas and some soft dirt, I'm enjoying the hell out of the days ride so far. 22 miles later I'm back on pavement again. Yee haww. I stop for a break, I packed some snacks and a thermos of hot fresh ground/brewed coffee. Oh man it was good. Back on the road, Ended up at HWY 8 near Lake Morena and took the S1 to Mt Laguna, another 45 miles of tight hair pin turns with some open legs to open the 640 Adv up .;-) Saw some snow at the summit, it was perfect cause I was dressed for it, never once was I cold, and the heated grips from Dual Star sure came in handy. Ended up in Julian --no Apple pie this time, was headed to Ramona and had to cut over to the 78 (another great road to travel) and met some friends for dinner in Escondido) the day's ride totaled more fun then I was allowed, 210 miles of thankless, piece of mind, relaxing Adventure. I'd do that route again anytime. It was one to remember.

Darin

Darin screwed with this post 12-27-2004 at 10:44 PM
Old 12-27-2004, 10:41 PM   #12
scorch OP
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin
I woke up at 6am, fed the dog, geared up and headed out --temp was low 40's off to some SOCAL twisties. Rode out toward Lower Otay lakes then right on 94 East, about 15 miles later a tooka chance ona new road that was calling me, it ended a dead end road, for a cruiser but not for the 640 Adv. The road turned into a BLM fire road, snaking up the mountian with awesome sceans of Mexico and the city of San Diego. Some areas had shear drop off's as it snaked up the mountain --about a 1,500 foot oh shit I hope I don't end up down there, Knees tight against the tank, sitting closer as well and taking it slow, roads were gravel so it was slow going, met some Border Patrol agents and wished them well, one trail was "ride at your own risk" it was not maintained and there were deep ruts and washes, with rather big rocks to nav around --it was a fun trail. 37 miles later I was back on the pavement, the road all to myself, loving every second of it, the air was still crisp and not a soul to be found. I was heading out to Campo on Hwy 94 and before I got there, noticed some more dirt trails so off I went, mind you I'm solo on this trip, all new territory for me, wasn't scared, but made mental notes of what hills I was dropping out of site on and wondering if I was going to find my way back out, most of the trails I took were power line narrow roads, full of ruts, washed out areas and some soft dirt, I'm enjoying the hell out of the days ride so far. 22 miles later I'm back on pavement again. Yee haww. I stop for a break, I packed some snacks and a thermos of hot fresh ground/brewed coffee. Oh man it was good. Back on the road, Ended up at HWY 8 near Lake Morena and took the S1 to Mt Laguna, another 45 miles of tight hair pin turns with some open legs to open the 640 Adv up .;-) Saw some snow at the summit, it was perfect cause I was dressed for it, never once was I cold, and the heated grips from Dual Star sure came in handy. Ended up in Julian --no Apple pie this time, was headed to Ramona and had to cut over to the 78 (another great road to travel) and met some friends for dinner in Escondido) the day's ride totaled more fun then I was allowed, 210 miles of thankless, piece of mind, relaxing Adventure. I'd do that route again anytime. It was one to remember.

Darin

Wrong section?
Old 12-27-2004, 10:46 PM   #13
Darin
WYSIWYG (WIZ-zee-wig)

Huh!

Say's who?

Old 12-28-2004, 09:33 AM   #14
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin
Say's who?
Those bogus temperatures gave it away. ... we were out in the low 20's over here on the right side...but a ride is a ride is a ride...