LINK
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:16 PM   #92
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
Hey! Glad I could help. I just rode the area again Sunday and Monday. Also check out the Chiricahuas. Awesome scenic riding there on roads such as Pinery Canyon and Rucker Canyon. I'd love to join you then, but can't. Ask over in the West Regional forum. I'm sure someone would want to tag along.
Oh yeah!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #93
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,213
Thanks Raven - much appreciated

Looks like the weather is gonna be great and I'm getting jazzed!
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #94
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,069
Lonestar, Stay tuned for more route suggestions. I'm about to post more photos from this week's ride here.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #95
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Talking Southeastern Arizona Again!

Special Guest Appearance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor
dude!

Due to my "hiatus" I didn't realize you had a RR going with the new machine, good stuff! I've ridden many of those roads on a Ninja 500 while I was "stationed" in Tucson Last year, including Kitt Peak, Ajo, Reddington, and Ruby Road after dark!

I gotta get myself back out there with the KTM, you and I would have a lot of fun! Nothing like AZ in the winter...

Great RR and pictures, I like the one-handed stuff a lot!

Tortilla Flats, the dirt part (the only AZ pic I could come up with quick!):

As the big fireball in the sky casts the first rays of the day into the Valley of the Sun I'm scooting down the highway already. I'm really looking forward to getting back to those Southern Arizona backroads.

I blast through the desert headed to a meeting in Tucson.

I follow the directions and find the meeting place near downtown Tucson. I don't even have the helmet off yet when I'm greeted enthusiastically. After being online friends here for quite awhile we finally meet face to face. It's like we have known each other forever. Matt Diekman AKA Viola-tor from the great long-running RR VIOLA-TING AMERICA - Chasing the dream of music and motos.

We pour over maps over coffee. A plan is hatched. We load up and head out. Two Orange Machines. One still carrying Colorado dust, and one with Utah dust.

Matt leads us out of town down Mission Road.

We circle a unique cemetary near the famous Arizona Landmark, the historic San Xavier Del Bac Mission. I think this is the first time I've ever seen it, and I've lived here 15 years!

We take pics of final resting places and Matt acts like he's never seen a Barrell Cactus.

It was Sunday morning and crowds of poeple were walking to the mission for services. We looked out of place in the parking lot with our loud bikes and fancy attire.

The plan was to head to Parker Canyon Lake, then over to Montezuma Pass and figure out where to go from there. I'd never ridden the road to Parker Canyon Lake. Matt has and assures me it's a great road.

We stop for gas in Sonoita. We are both getting hungry, so we pull out the maps and revise our plans. Matt has heard of a place to eat in Patagonia he wants to try. We are 12 miles from Patagonia and about 30 from Parker Canyon Lake. We decide we should go eat first, then maybe head down to Nogales and take the Duquesne-Lochiel Road all the way to Montezuma Pass instead. We pull out of the gas station and I decide to take the lead.

We are both enjoying this road, but Matt is flipping me off for some reason. We are 10 miles down the road when I realized why...

I start thinking... Matt was right! This road to Parker Canyon Lake is a BLAST! Wait a Minute! Parker Canyon Lake?!? I was supposed to be leading us to Patagonia for FOOD! DOH!

dave6253 screwed with this post 04-28-2012 at 01:04 PM
dave6253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #96
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar
Sounds great! - Who/What/Where are the Chiricahuas?
D. All of the Above

The Chiricahua Mountains are located in the Southeastern Corner of Arizona and includes the Chiricahua National Monument, Chiricahua Wilderness, and portions of the Coronado National Forest. They are tucked out of the way for most and don't often enter most poeples minds when they think of Arizona.

The Chiricahua Apache tribe inhabited the area. Perhaps the most well known Native American Cheif in history was a Chiricahua Apache. I'll bet you've heard of him?

Geronimo

Chiricahua Apache. (1829-1909)

To the Apaches, Geronimo embodied the very essence of the Apache values, agressiveness, courage in the face of difficulty. These qualities inspired fear in the settlers of Arizona and New Mexico. The Chiricahuas were mostly migratory following the seasons, hunting and farming. When food was scarce, it was the custom to raid neighboring tribes. Raids and vengeance were an honorable way of life among the tribes of this region.

By the time American settlers began arriving in the area, the Spanish had become entrenched in the area, they were always looking for Indian slaves and Christian converts. It was the Spanish who raided and killed Geronimo's young wife and child and reportedly caused such a hatred of the whites that he vowed to kill as many as he could.
In 1876, the U.S. Army tried to move the Chiricahuas onto a reservation, but Geronimo fled to Mexico eluding the troops for over a decade. Sensationalized press reports exaggerated Geronimo's activities, making him the most feared and infamous Apache. The last few months of the campaign required over 5,000 soldiers and 500 scouts to track down Geronimo and his band. Geronimo finally surrendered on the urging of his followers in September after the Army promised that after a period of time he would be able to return to Arizona. Geronimo and his followers were shipped to St. Augustine, Florida where many died from malaria or tuberculosis. Geronimo never again saw his beloved Arizona and died a prisioner many years later on a reservation in Oklahoma.

dave6253 screwed with this post 11-22-2009 at 08:48 PM
dave6253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #97
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Special Guest Appearance!

I follow the directions and find the meeting place near downtown Tucson. I don't even have the helmet off yet when I'm greeted enthusiastically. After being online friends here for quite awhile we finally meet face to face. It's like we have known each other forever. Matt Diekman AKA Viola-tor from the great long-running RR VIOLA-TING AMERICA - Chasing the dream of music and motos.

Quote:
We circle a unique cemetary near the famous Arizona Landmark, the historic San Xavier Del Bac Mission. I think this is the first time I've ever seen it, and I've lived here 15 years!
That mission looks great - will have to check it out South of Tucson?

LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #98
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Yes. Not far out of Tucson on the San Xavier Indian Reservation. Take Mission Road or I-19.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #99
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

More SE AZ Fun

I pull over and ask Matt why he hadn't tried to point out my navigation error. He says, That's okay. This road rocks, and he doesn't mind riding it again. He says we should just ride all the way to the lake anyway. We'll worry about lunch later. (I felt like a fool.)

We pull out the maps at the lake to find out we don't have to do a complete backtrack. There's a dirt road a little ways back that will take us over to Patagonia. I'm playing with the camera when Matt starts disappearing around each corner faster and faster. He puts on a display of the cornering prowess of the Conti Trail Attacks. I put away the camera and try to catch up.

Late for lunch.

This is "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" (the name of this pizza on the menu). It may look like any ordinary supreme pizza you can get anywhere, but I assure you it's not. It was quite possibly the best pie I've ever tasted. Great bread and the best ever sauce! Highly recommended! I will return.

We're feeling good after lunch.

We head towards Nogales and jump on The Mexican Border Road, aka Duquesne-Lochiel Road. We climb the first pass and stop for photos when this inmate appears. Jerod Crean is stationed at nearby Fort Huachuca.

After getting aquainted with Jarod we decide to ride together awhile.

We stop at the Monument outside Lochiel to pay homage to our fellow explorer.

Photo Credit; Viola-tor (with my camera). Matt what did you do to Jarod. It looks like he wants to kick your ass.

Oh the sacrilege! The monument has been Viola-TED!

Eat My Dust!
Old 11-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #100
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Hey, I know that guy!

I gotta get my photos loaded up, this is fun! You little cam (AND the big) are looking good!

What a beautiful day to ride that was!

BRB...
Old 11-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #101
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Quote:
Photo Credit; Viola-tor (with my camera). Matt what did you do to Jarod. It looks like he wants to kick your ass.

Isn't that the "1000 yard stare" they teach you in the Army? Or maybe he really does want to kick my ass, that's entirely possible...

Jared is eager to find some friends to dual-sport with in the area, if anyone is going to check out this part of the state you should look him up, maybe he'll chime in here.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #102
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,243
i assume you turned him onto adv?
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:31 PM   #103
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Where Were We?

Still eating dust.

We keep urging Jared to continue riding with us. He was getting worried. He said his wife was gonna be very mad. Apparently he snuck out for what was supposed to be a short ride.

We told Jared to just tell his wife he had to rescue 2 gringos lost on the Mexican Border.

It's gonna get dark. We ride over Montezuma Pass in the dark. That was fun, but I got no photos worth a damn.

We make it to Sierra Vista and stop for fuel. We part ways with Jarod, who reluctantly heads home to face the music. Great meeting you Jarod! Jarod said he was having a hard time finding riding partners, so hook up with him if you are heading that way. He goes by the name Jarod Crean here.

After a snack break Matt prepares to unleash his secret ninja skillz onto the dark cold night.

Just before we part ways I get this shot of Matt. The flash made him nearly jump off his bike in surprise. He nearly broke his neck looking for the UFO until realizing I was playing with the camera again.

We parted ways at I-10 with a moving fist bump. I last saw the Viola-tor jumping up and down on the pegs of his KTM like a schoolboy on a pogo stick. That Viola-tor really loves his motorcycle. He told me so no less than 10 times that day.

It was an awesome day of riding Matt! We definitely will have to repeat. I'm starting to reconsider my tendacy for solo riding...

Matt headed back to WARM Tucson. I headed Southeast for the mountains for a long COLD ride to find a campsite. Tomorrow I awaken alone in the Chiricahuas.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #104
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter
i assume you turned him onto adv?
He's already here. He has posted in the West Regional Forum looking for riding partners, but has had very little response. He seemed like a cool young man and he has been riding these trails since he was a teenager. He was shooting with a Canon DSLR so hopefully he will chime in here with some photos to add.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:30 AM   #105
whitewater18
funhog

Oddometer: 468
ride

OK, may have to bring my 990A down in Jan or feb for a winter break. Rode some of the paved roads in that area a few years back on my harley, however the roads you have shown on this rr look too good to resist!!
Great report!!! Thanks!
whitewater18 is offline   Reply With Quote