User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #466
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,782
Laughlin,NV to near Flagstaff, AZ

After the usual morning ritual I was back on the road and headed towards Kingman, AZ. There I planned not only to hook up with Route 66, but I was also planning on doing an oil change. My plan was to swing by the local Suzuki dealership in Kingman, since I'd been steered there by another ADV rider. Once I got to Kingman, I went to the motorcycle shop and met Jason, the owner's stepson who runs the place, introduced myself and told him that I needed to do an oil change on the bike, and would they be willing to let me borrow an oil pan and possibly a few tools. Jason then replied that due to liability, they couldn't let me borrow any tools!? Liability!? I just need some sockets and maybe a hex key! How badly could I possibly hurt myself!

Instead of arguing with the poor kid, I decided I'd just swing by one of the other motorcycle shops I'd passed coming thru town. So, in my opinion, avoid the local Suzuki/Kawasaki shop in Kingman, and instead go to the place that ended up helping me out for free and gave me a discount on the oil I bought from them! So, to the Kingman Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer located on Northern Avenue, I say FYYFF!

Instead I went down the road, and found these guys!

These guys were super cool, and hooked me up with an oil pan and some tools!
Had a great time hanging out with them and some of the of the other folks that worked in the same strip mall. They just couldn't believe the scope of the trip that I was on!
Oh, and I also changed the oil on the DRZ of course!

Finally, around 1:00pm or so, I got back on the road, found Route 66 and started to make my way east! Here are some pictures from travelling down historic Route 66!

One of my ALL TIME FAVORITE cars!!!

Along the way, I passed several series of Burma Shave advertisements; here they are!

Thanks for the tip Burma Shave!

A nice road shot, and other shots from the road.

Burma Shave #4

#6!

Eventually, I came upon a stretch of old route 66 that was unmaintained. The pavement was all torn up and just plain missing for the most part, and it eventually turned into full on dirt and sand!

I finally called it a day, just east of Williams, AZ, and found a KOA campground to set up camp for the night. Had another feast for dinner tonight. For starters, a pre dinner drink!

Then the main course.

I made it rather thick and not too soupy.

And then, thanks again to my brother and Shawna, dessert!

My camp for the night.

And the STATS for the day.

SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:03 AM   #467
GoSpeed
'getting there

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider
After the usual morning ritual I was back on the road and headed towards Kingman, AZ. There I planned not only to hook up with Route 66, but I was also planning on doing an oil change. My plan was to swing by the local Suzuki dealership in Kingman, since I'd been steered there by another ADV rider. Once I got to Kingman, I went to the motorcycle shop and met Jason, the owner's stepson who runs the place, introduced myself and told him that I needed to do an oil change on the bike, and would they be willing to let me borrow an oil pan and possibly a few tools. Jason then replied that due to liability, they couldn't let me borrow any tools!? Liability!? I just need some sockets and maybe a hex key! How badly could I possibly hurt myself!

Instead of arguing with the poor kid, I decided I'd just swing by one of the other motorcycle shops I'd passed coming thru town. So, in my opinion, avoid the local Suzuki/Kawasaki shop in Kingman, and instead go to the place that ended up helping me out for free and gave me a discount on the oil I bought from them! So, to the Kingman Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer located on Northern Avenue, I say FYYFF!

Instead I went down the road, and found these guys!
That was me that recommended Kingman Suzuki. I'm so sorry to hear that you were treated so poorly. You were right to blow them off. They are brand new owners, and must be uptight about the whole thing. My apologies.

I hope the rest of your ride is hassle-free. I'm enjoying every entry.

- John
Old 11-21-2009, 04:54 AM   #468
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,919
Hey XC! Been a while since I checked up on the report and was stoked you met up with Moose and Mini - too cool. Really enjoyed your pics of that "desolate" area of the country. When you get back you don't have to hang up your boots and helmet (just get a heated vest and a job ) I am going to have to get the GPX tracks from you for my future westward journey.

Keep it up man
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #469
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSpeed
That was me that recommended Kingman Suzuki. I'm so sorry to hear that you were treated so poorly. You were right to blow them off. They are brand new owners, and must be uptight about the whole thing. My apologies.

I hope the rest of your ride is hassle-free. I'm enjoying every entry.

- John

No worries my friend. As you can see, things always have a way of working themselves out. The way I look at it is that it's their loss. We could have had a great chat, and they in turn would have gotten some great publicity from me in form of this RR; and all for the cost of borrowing an oil pan and a tool or two. But such is life.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #470
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

How could I have forgotten to mention this...

So last night, as I layed in my sleeping bag falling asleep, I reallized I forgot to mention the best part of my stay in Laughlin the night before last. As I had said, since I was in Nevada, I'd have to go and play the slot machines. Now I'm not the gambling type, but I figured I'd find the cheap slots and play $5 or so and enjoy a couple free beverages. After all, I am a former KLR (and hopefully future) owner!

So I found the penny slot machines! I put $5 in the machine and started playing, betting anywhere from a penny to a wopping 5 cents per pull! Soon enough a nice young lady came by and asked me if I needed a drink, perfect! I did take Mpanther's advice and made sure to tip the young lady $1 every time she brought me a drink; I may be cheap at times, but I'm not a cheap-skate! So back to the gambling, about $1 into my investment I won $5 on a pull! WooHoo! I can now afford to play for a good little while longer and still break even. Eventually though I was back down to $2 and figured that I'd just finish out what money was left in the machine, and have another beer and then call it a night. Lady luck must have been looking after me that evening though because a few minutes later I hit a bonus thingy and ended up winning $60! Now I know what you're thinking, $60 ain't a whole lot of money, but hey, it's better than nothing! Figuring I'd just about used up all my good luck for the evening I decided to cash out.

So, if you ever pass thru Laughlin, NV, stay at the Colorado Belle and go play the penny slots. Who knows, you might just get lucky!

Well now I need to get back on the road. Until next time.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #471
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Looking good, Fantastic RR and great recovery from the long walk in the most desolate part of the TAT.

Keep it coming!!!!!!
NOTAR_520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #472
BOBaloo22
Bald Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,753
Hey XC, It looks like you're doing well buddy. Glad you got the KLR sold and back on the "road".WOW!! M&M seem to be a great couple, you sure have been lucky on this adventure - all the great people, places and opportunities you've experienced (the 60 bucks too!). Me and M have been reading and drooling since the start, so have some more fun and see you soon.
Bob
Old 11-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #473
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider
Now I'm not the gambling type, but I figured I'd find the cheap slots and play $5 or so and enjoy a couple free beverages. After all, I am a former KLR (and hopefully future) owner!
later I hit a bonus thingy and ended up winning $60! Now I know what you're thinking, $60 ain't a whole lot of money, but hey, it's better than nothing! Figuring I'd just about used up all my good luck for the evening I decided to cash out.
Way to be a "George" with the free drinks.
Did she give you faster service after you started tipping?

And Way to Go with the big win!
Its like two free days on the road with hotel rooms.

Good stuff.

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #474
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,919
They need a new emoticon with a lotto machine named :xcrider
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #475
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

A small problem has arisen....

Check out this posting I put under the Thumpers thread.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #476
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

To Albuquerque, New Mexico

Well today started just like any other day, just a little colder, but it was a nice a clear sky. For the most part of the day, I was ridding down either stretches of old Route 66, or National Forest roads, or along the rail road access road; only when there was no other option did I hop onto the interstate. Mid way through the day, I also made a detour to go and check out the town of Diablo. It just an old ghost town, but there's a cool train bridge going over Diablo canyon near by.

The day was turning out to be just another uneventful day, until I pulled into Holbrook for gas. While I was there I noticed that the strap holding my left hand side saddle bag had come loose and been partially eaten by my rear wheel!

Well no biggy I thought at first, but then I had cause for second guessing myself; you'll see what I mean when I get to the pictures.

I called a couple of shops, all the way east to Albuquerque, but everyone I talked to would have to order the parts. Since I was in the relative middle of nowhere, and I felt confident that the bike could still be safely ridden, I decided to super-slab it to Albuquerque and there I would figure out what to do.

Here's today picture show; sorry, but after the little problem issue, I stopped taking pictures as I was concentrating on making it to Albuquerque.

Leaving the campground this morning, I was soon on gravel roads!

Yet another, different route 66 sign.

Pictures from the road.

Following the rail road.

Frontage roads were also a nice option at times.

Heading off into the middle of nowhere to find the old town of Diablo.

The train bridge over Diablo Canyon.

Remnants of the town of Diablo.

TRAIN!

Two Guns, AZ.

Near the turn off for Meteor Crater.

Coming through some town (I forget which now), I spotted this cool, old motel!

In the town of Holbrook, AZ, I saw some really murals.

And then, when I stopped for gas, that's when I noticed today's little issue. I decided to take off the rear wheel to have a better look and make sure everything was OK.

And this is what my bearing seal, on the drive chain side, looks like.

The bearing I think is still good; after all I just rode 240 miles with it like this!
So my question is, how concerned should I be? Ridding dirt is out of the question until I get this seal replaced ( I don't want to fry the bearing), but could I make it back to VA as long as I stick to paved roads? Is there anything that I can do to help the damaged bearing seal......like packing some lithium grease in there? Any advice would be appreciated.

Anyway, here are the STATS for the day!

Old 11-22-2009, 01:07 AM   #477
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
I wouldn't use Lithium grease.
I would use synthetic wheel bearing grease.

(non-moly, moly can build up on the bearing surfaces and ruin a roller bearing.)

more in the thumper thread.

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:03 AM   #479
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
STORE HOURS
MondayClosed
Tuesday9:00AM - 6:00PM
Wednesday9:00AM - 6:00PM
Thursday9:00AM - 6:00PM
Friday9:00AM - 6:00PM
Saturday9:00AM - 5:00PM
SundayClosed
Motorsport, Inc.
6919 Montgomery Blvd. NE Albuquerque NM 87109
Phone: 505-884-9000 Fax: (505) 888-5405
Toll Free Phone: 800-750-9007

checked out http://abqmotorsport.com/ . . Unfortunatly its closed Sunday & Monday but if you don't have any luck today its still better than waiting for a mail delivery. Still looking - My work is paying me to do the research on this for you but don't tell them Do you (or does anyone) have a part # ?
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #480
Neonguy95
Self Sponsored Rider

Oddometer: 300
You would be more than welcome to take my WR250R out for a spin. I am little north of your trek though. I see you are going through southern Arkansas and I am in Southwest Missouri, Springfield to be exact.

Good luck on your trip home. The RR has been very awesome and I must admit you have me talked into taking some time off work to run the TAT.
Neonguy95 is offline   Reply With Quote