User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #16
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
grips...

If you wanted to do just a grip upgrade, I have installed these and like them very much:

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/foamgripcov.html

At $6.00 it is hard to go too far wrong....

The heat is a bit diminished but not much, and they do damp the vibration a bit as well. they are not real "fat" but add enough diameter that I am good to go even with pretty large hands.

I used ArmorAll "detailing spray" as my installation lubricant and did not have any issues getting them on.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #17
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Found a good solution for the skinny grip problem. Check it:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post10564951
Old 09-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #18
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
Found a good solution for the skinny grip problem. Check it:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post10564951
This is a great idea; out of the box thinking that will work for some people.

I did this last night and am test riding today. Rode for an hour in the mountains before work, and I think this option may not work for me. The grip feel and surface is great. Nice amount of 'grip' and cushion without a mushy feel. They also go on surprisingly easily even with no lube. If you put them on dry after cleaning the OEM grips, they are stretched tight enough that they stick well so you don't have to glue them. That means this is an easy thing to try & remove if you don't like it.

However, the enlarged grip diameter caused issues I hadn't foreseen. I don't like the way my controls feel with my hands wrapped around the bigger diameter grips, and between thumb & forefinger it's just too large a diameter for me. O.D. with this solution is 1-3/8". My hands are not small, I wear a size 9L Held glove. I find in particular using two fingers on the clutch in technical stuff is harder. On the plus side, the larger O.D. acts a little bit like a throttle tamer, reducing the effect of jerky accidental inputs.

Also, the Renthal grip is short. The straight section of the grip (not counting the flared guard at the inner end) is only 3-7/8" long. That means the whole grip including the guard fits within the straight "grip" section of the BMW grip. This makes for a neat installation if you don't cut the Renthal guards off, but that means there's a longer reach to the switches that wasn't comfortable for me. I later cut the guards off, and found that the straight part of the Renthal grip really does cover just about the whole BMW grip. This is much better in terms of looks and more importantly, the reach to the switches.

The extra rubber cuts down the heat from the grip heaters quite a bit. I happened to do back-to-back rides over the same mountain road at the same temperatures before and after mounting the Renthals. I was wearing the same gloves, and running the heaters at their low setting, and the difference was quite noticeable. This might be OK, but in the winter I'd probably be running them on HI more than I did last season.

For those of you that wondered; Renthal color codes their grips, so if you want the softest grip (and you do, for this), it will be light gray. Could be worse, especially if you have the gray bike.

I think this idea will work fine for some people Probably it'll be best for someone with narrow hands and long fingers, or maybe for riders who are used to fat grips. It's certainly worth a try.

A week later, I've still got them on . . . getting used to the feel . . . need to do a really long ride & see what it does for hand fatigue.

Singletrack_mind screwed with this post 09-14-2009 at 12:04 PM
Singletrack_mind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #19
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,735
I also intalled the G2 throttle tamer the other day and second that if falls into the must have category if you ride any slow 1st gear rocky terrain. 1 size only, as it comes with the 400 wheel, which allows 20% more throttle movement to achieve the same engine response. This is just in the first 50% of rotation. Total throttle movement is same as stock.
I was also able to save my heated grips though as explained you will have to reroute the wires.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #20
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
DIY Install

After a particularly rocky ride, I called at Sam at G2 Ergonomics to see when he'd officially have the G2 Tamer Tube for the F800GS. Turns out, Sam had just ordered the first batch and he agreed to send me the first one!! He now has them in stock although they're still not on the website. HERE

Of course then I rode every weekend and then got sick so it wasn't until today that I was able to install it. So here's how it goes.

This is what you get:

The tube and a G2 sticker are inside.

You need to buy replacement grips. If you don't get BMW grips like people above have suggested, you need to buy two sets of grips since the left grip has a throttle sized tube. I chose the ProGrip Rally grips since that what I've had on all my dirt bikes. They're a little thicker and a little bit cushier than the stock grips. Me like. Because they're thicker, not as much heat transfers but I still like them.

First you need to take off your hand guards if you have any. Then you unscrew this 25mm Torx screw to remove the cover on the throttle cam.

I then unhooked the throttle cable from the tube and unscrewed the guide from the bottom of the housing. Then I unscrewed this Torx 10 screw to remove the switch housing cover.

The little connection with the brown and black/white wires going into is the connector for the heated grips. It just pops loose from the housing and then you unclip the little lip and you can disconnect the grips.

I hadn't unhooked the connector yet but you need to unscrew these two little 10 Torx screws to remove the rest of the housing so you can remove the tube. You also remove the Torx 25 screw as indicated.

Then you loosen this bit and slide the throttle housing off the bars.

At this point you should have the throttle tube with the wires sticking out of it in your hand. Now it's time for the "be careful" bit, removing the grips. I started at the outside end and cut through just the tip. Then I made a slit the length of the grip but NOT all the way through. If you cut all the way through you'll ruin the heating elements. Then you just tear the grip off the tube, working towards the inside.

This is what you end up with:

Take note of where the heating element wires leave the tube in relation to where the throttle cable hooks onto the tube. You want to make sure when you put it on the G2 that the wires are in pretty much the same location.

To remove the heating element from the tube, you cut off the little tabs you can see along the middle of the tube. I used a brand new razor and worked very carefully to trim them down, always slicing away from the wires in the element. Then the heating element can be peeled off the stock tube.

Here's a comparison of the two tubes:

I didn't take a picture of the next step, but essentially you just wrap the heating element around the G2 tube. Mine had enough "stick" that I didn't need to glue the element on the G2, it just stuck in place.

You then need to slightly notch the housing cover to let the wires pass through. I put a small piece of electrical tape over the notch so there wouldn't be a sharp edge.

Then you have to reconnect the connector and move the little tab that used to go inside the throttle tube and route the wires out the bottom corner like so:

You can then button eveything up and put your new grips on. I use a ton of hairspray which is wet but then dries tacky. You can use whatever you've always used, hairspray works for me. If I have any issues later, I'll safety wire the grips on.

Here you can see how the wires route out of the switch housing and onto the tube. Give the throttle a few twists to make sure you have enough slack and adjust as needed before finally buttoning everything up. I used a small wrap of electrical tape to make everything look better. I would have preferred to use shrink wrap but the little chinga on the wires wouldn't let me slide the right size shrink wrap over it.

Then I did the left hand side. I just removed the handguard, then slit the grip like I did on the throttle side. I was very careful not to slit all the way through the grip so I wouldn't cut the heating element. This is what it looks like with the grip removed.

I just used hairspray to slide the new grip on, reattached the handguard and everything was good to go.

I took the bike for a test spin and I could notice the difference. It was not such a huge difference that it was disconcerting, but it was noticeable. I really can't wait to get it in the rocks to see how it works. I'll report back when I do.

If anyone has any questions about the install please feel free to PM me or just ask here.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112

YetiGS screwed with this post 05-20-2014 at 10:35 AM
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #21
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
After a particularly rocky ride, I called at Sam at G2 to see when he'd officially have the G2 Tamer Tube for the F800GS. Turns out, Sam had just ordered the first batch and he agreed to send me the first one!! He now has them in stock although they're still not on the website. HERE

Of course then I rode every weekend and then got sick so it wasn't until today that I was able to install it. So here's how it goes.
Awesome. I love these step-by-steps. Thanks for taking the time to document it!

Quote:
I took the bike for a test spin and I could notice the difference. It was not such a huge difference that it was disconcerting, but it was noticeable. I really can't wait to get it in the rocks to see how it works. I'll report back when I do.

Rob in Seattle
Old 11-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #22
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Great writeup.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #23
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhar54
Awesome. I love these step-by-steps. Thanks for taking the time to document it!

Rob in Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Great writeup.
You're welcome! I really appreciate them when I'm trying to do something so I try to do them whenever I install something that there isn't a DIY for it already.

I neglected to thank Kurt for his help and pictures of his install. He has one of the pre-production tubes and installed it much the same way I did.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 11-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #24
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,916
Quote:
You're welcome! I really appreciate them when I'm trying to do something so I try to do them whenever I install something that there isn't a DIY for it already.

I neglected to thank Kurt for his help and pictures of his install. He has one of the pre-production tubes and installed it much the same way I did.

Shouldn't you be out trial riding to test that thing out for us??

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #25
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Thanks for the write up! I won't be doing this mod but I enjoyed the pics of the heating element and grip internals. I am always curious especially when I use them a lot. Today I had my heated grips going strong in the chilly Texas air.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #26
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
Awesome detailed instructions Yeti!

Would it be ok if I printed your post up for my technicians to use?

If so, let me know if there's anything I can do in return.

Either way, awesome job!
Go for it Joel. Your candor and input here have been very valuable. Least I could do.

You might want to wait until after tomorrow though, I've noticed a couple of things that need cleaning up.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:04 PM   #27
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
Shouldn't you be out trial riding to test that thing out for us??
Weekend after T-day. I'm gonna hit some really rocky, technical stuff.

Should have my steering damper installed by then too . . .
Old 11-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #28
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Could you notch the G2 like the stocker to run the wires?

Here's a comparison of the two tubes:

Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #29
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Great write up. Seeing all the parts apart I have an idea on another option. Might have time next week...

Can anyone provide pics or explain the G2. Does it reduce or add to the throttle pull? The cable routing I mean...??
Old 11-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #30
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
Great write up. Seeing all the parts apart I have an idea on another option. Might have time next week...

Can anyone provide pics or explain the G2. Does it reduce or add to the throttle pull? The cable routing I mean...??
It initially pulls less cable for a given amount of twist. It then ramps up so WOT is the same amount of twist.

Motoriley, I sent Sam a question asking him the same thing. However, when you look at the stock tube, it's a pretty intricate design, I'm not sure it's even possible to CNC machine it. There are about three or four parts to it. If Sam wants, I'll send him my stock tube to play with...