ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #4996
shannonr73
DR BIG Rider 73
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Beaches.. Australia
Oddometer: 288
Nave, Mate they are great shots for a phone camera!! LOVE EM..


Megamoto, I have been watching the news and the rainfall is incredible! I seen one town 2 metres under water.. Good Luck, Maybe you'll need to swap the bike for a boat?

Rob, How much for a cam chain? was that for your 800? What a hot day today.. At least I can go 2 minutes down the road to the surf so I cant winge too much..
shannonr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:55 PM   #4997
nave
Nave
 
nave's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Israel
Oddometer: 353
megamoto- after 7 years of drought we have big hope for this winter... the distribution of rain over the world is going crazy... please send some to the middle east...

Feverdog- i bought the forks new (with the triples) from u.s ebay for 500$
it's from a 2006 Honda CRF450R.
GREAT IMPROVMENT!!!

Enjuy the rest of the week end my week starts today
nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:32 AM   #4998
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer
 
robmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonr73
Nave, Mate they are great shots for a phone camera!! LOVE EM..


Megamoto, I have been watching the news and the rainfall is incredible! I seen one town 2 metres under water.. Good Luck, Maybe you'll need to swap the bike for a boat?

Rob, How much for a cam chain? was that for your 800? What a hot day today.. At least I can go 2 minutes down the road to the surf so I cant winge too much..
Shannon, I orderd heaps of things from CMSNL the cam chain was 65 in funny money so say 130 bucks, it is a lot cheaper to get it through local suziki dealer, I orderd through CMSNL as then I can see if they can supply and I know the price upfront and allso know that it is on its way.
Paying for postage is very costly I orderd heaps of spares for down the track.
If you are getting a timing chain don,t forget the chain runners at least the front one and left engine side cover gasket.
That reminds me too i forget now if the barrel has to be raised to get the chain arround the bottom sprocket I better check in the manual.

robmoto screwed with this post 11-22-2009 at 04:09 AM
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #4999
FeverDog
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Oddometer: 41
Rob,

In your opinion, what parts should one order to make a complete engine rebuild?

(Hope to start rebuilding mine next february)

Thanks for the help.
FeverDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #5000
nave
Nave
 
nave's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Israel
Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeverDog
Rob,

In your opinion, what parts should one order to make a complete engine rebuild?

(Hope to start rebuilding mine next february)

Thanks for the help.
A few months ago I have sent this list to a friend in Ireland... check it out
nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #5001
mait
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mait's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Has anyone considered the forks from the Suzuki DRZ400.

I have had a special steering stem made to be able to use these forks on my Transalp/Africa Twin hybrid. Purchase of the DR750 has put this project temporarily on hold until I can afford the SM disc conversion and front brake mastercylinder and brake line. I have the forks, front wheel,axle and brake caliper.

I have a DRZ400 and like the front forks. They have huge (49mm) tubes and are a conventional (not USD) design. I still prefer a conventional fork. I have never felt the need for a fork brace using these forks. They are damper rod forks (after 2002) and have compression and rebound adjusters. They are available on US ebay quite often for reasonable prices.

Looking at the front wheels of the DR750 and DRZ400 I see some family traits. I don't know about axle diameters and steering head bearing sizes but I'd bet a swap would be within reason. One would most likely have to graft the triple clamps from the DRZ onto the DR frame since the DRZ fork tubes are too large to allow use of the stock DR clamps.
Ladder, do you know how do DR-Z 400 forks and triple clamps compare to DR BIG 41mm forks?
I mean like fork length and geometry (clamps offset etc.)? Iíve been thinking how to improve the front end and cannot decide.
I am not going to do this in the next few months but i want to make my plans so once I am at it it would be quick and easy I would like to keep conventional forks look, so CRF 450 forks fall to the end of list. And I would like to keep the geometry of DR Big,
maybe only half an inch more clearance than stock (I hit railway rail with the bashplate while crossing where there was no railway crossing ).


a) Have thought about Ricor intiminators and Racetech emulators. Easy to install.
But with shipping these cost nearly the same as I would pay for a set of forks.
And the trouble to adjust if they would not work as they come out the box... Iím afraid I donít have so much time...

b) KTM or Husaberg WP 50mm Extreme conventional forks. Bluesman, Hessler and many others seem to have a lot of knowledge on swapping.
But it seems like aftermarket parts like bushings/sliders are hard or impossible to get.
Head bearings do not match. need to fabricate new stem pivot.

c) DRZ 400 (2002 - ) Showa 49mm conventional forks. They are said to be at least as good as WP50 but a lot lighter.
Bearings do not match, so needs a new pivot as well.

d) CRF 450 forks. Would be easier to swap because head bearings match. But USD looks are not for for my DR Big.



10-11 years ago I had a Suzuki RM250 Ė97 with Showa 49mm inverted forks and these forks were damn good.
I think the same technology was used on +2002 DRZ400, so I am leaning to this way.
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #5002
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mait
Ladder, do you know how do DR-Z 400 forks and triple clamps compare to DR BIG 41mm forks?
I mean like fork length and geometry (clamps offset etc.)? Iíve been thinking how to improve the front end and cannot decide.
I am not going to do this in the next few months but i want to make my plans so once I am at it it would be quick and easy I would like to keep conventional forks look, so CRF 450 forks fall to the end of list. And I would like to keep the geometry of DR Big,
maybe only half an inch more clearance than stock (I hit railway rail with the bashplate while crossing where there was no railway crossing ).


a) Have thought about Ricor intiminators and Racetech emulators. Easy to install.
But with shipping these cost nearly the same as I would pay for a set of forks.
And the trouble to adjust if they would not work as they come out the box... Iím afraid I donít have so much time...

b) KTM or Husaberg WP 50mm Extreme conventional forks. Bluesman, Hessler and many others seem to have a lot of knowledge on swapping.
But it seems like aftermarket parts like bushings/sliders are hard or impossible to get.
Head bearings do not match. need to fabricate new stem pivot.

c) DRZ 400 (2002 - ) Showa 49mm conventional forks. They are said to be at least as good as WP50 but a lot lighter.
Bearings do not match, so needs a new pivot as well.

d) CRF 450 forks. Would be easier to swap because head bearings match. But USD looks are not for for my DR Big.



10-11 years ago I had a Suzuki RM250 Ė97 with Showa 49mm inverted forks and these forks were damn good.
I think the same technology was used on +2002 DRZ400, so I am leaning to this way.
Since Nave and me are one of few who run different forks let me chime in.
1) Husaberg or KTM WP Extremes. All you need to convert is new steering stem (I can supply drawing) and 2 hand made pieces to bolt ignition lock on. Aftermarket parts are plenty (bushings can be easily bought from KTM or WP or Hessler, seals on eBay a plenty, Hessler also have springs for those to match weight).
You will need to cut off stock DR steering stop, but you do not need to make new one. You can use one on low youke of Berg/KTM.
This tested for 6500 km so far with no slightest problem and huge increase of ride quality and control. If from older Berg - no change in geometry apart from WPs are 20 mm longer. Easily compensated. Also you can just buy 2 bearings for front wheel of DR and it fits in like charm.
2) DRZ forks not by any means lighter than WP50s. And NOT better. They are worse than WPs on range of adjustment and on selection of springs available. Whoever told you this never compared them really. And I have as I spent 6 months making my mind up. Do not compare RMZ forks with DRZ. Different approach entirely.
DRZ - as easy to install as WPs but different offset. Effect on steering - less aggressive angle. You will still need to make custom steering stem. And DRZ have 20 mm axle, there is no such bearings for DR wheel. So, you need axle adaptors custome made as well.
3) CRF forks are good. Just good no questions. Probably better than old WP50s. I did not want USD forks, that's all.

You also forgot old Marzocchi 50s. But culprit with those - their lower part quite soft alloy and gets worn quickly.

Summary IMO is WP Extremes are best choice. Why would you think this is Hessler's choice too?
If you need help and drawings and photos with WPs - I have this all done and dusted and will gladly share my experience.
One warning thou. DR stock rear shock is no match to WPs. Just nowhere near good enough. So now I am facing rear shock question (read: find 600 Euros somewhere to blow on Wilbers shock as I have lots of experience with Ohlins and Wilbers and Hyperpro and prefer Wilbers for real life).
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #5003
ztaj
jatz
 
ztaj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Nelson-ish New Zealand
Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
That reminds me too i forget now if the barrel has to be raised to get the chain arround the bottom sprocket I better check in the manual.
No... just back off the tensioner, barrell needs to be removed to replace rear wear strip thingy though.

Bluesman.... GO THE WILBURS..... some of the best coin I spent on the DR was the rear shock, not sure I paid 600 for it, or maybe I just choose not to remember

Just finished putting the motor back in mine and took it for a spin, damn I like riding gravel on my BIG, hard to stop the back wheel spinning .Smalll issue though.... massive backfires when you throttle off suddenly
I've tried adjusting jets, mixture, but it still happens, could this be CDI problem.Had to bypass it (CDI) to get the tacho to work as I had current going to the CDI but not coming out of it.
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:48 AM   #5004
nave
Nave
 
nave's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Israel
Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Since Nave and me are one of few who run different forks let me chime in.
1) Husaberg or KTM WP Extremes. All you need to convert is new steering stem (I can supply drawing) and 2 hand made pieces to bolt ignition lock on. Aftermarket parts are plenty (bushings can be easily bought from KTM or WP or Hessler, seals on eBay a plenty, Hessler also have springs for those to match weight).
You will need to cut off stock DR steering stop, but you do not need to make new one. You can use one on low youke of Berg/KTM.
This tested for 6500 km so far with no slightest problem and huge increase of ride quality and control. If from older Berg - no change in geometry apart from WPs are 20 mm longer. Easily compensated. Also you can just buy 2 bearings for front wheel of DR and it fits in like charm.
2) DRZ forks not by any means lighter than WP50s. And NOT better. They are worse than WPs on range of adjustment and on selection of springs available. Whoever told you this never compared them really. And I have as I spent 6 months making my mind up. Do not compare RMZ forks with DRZ. Different approach entirely.
DRZ - as easy to install as WPs but different offset. Effect on steering - less aggressive angle. You will still need to make custom steering stem. And DRZ have 20 mm axle, there is no such bearings for DR wheel. So, you need axle adaptors custome made as well.
3) CRF forks are good. Just good no questions. Probably better than old WP50s. I did not want USD forks, that's all.

You also forgot old Marzocchi 50s. But culprit with those - their lower part quite soft alloy and gets worn quickly.

Summary IMO is WP Extremes are best choice. Why would you think this is Hessler's choice too?
If you need help and drawings and photos with WPs - I have this all done and dusted and will gladly share my experience.
One warning thou. DR stock rear shock is no match to WPs. Just nowhere near good enough. So now I am facing rear shock question (read: find 600 Euros somewhere to blow on Wilbers shock as I have lots of experience with Ohlins and Wilbers and Hyperpro and prefer Wilbers for real life).
Both CRF forks and WP are excellent!
If you want to keep the original design with the low front fender- go for the WP (not upsd) you can also go for a complete set from a KTM LC8 950/990.
for me it was tooooo expensive...
after you'll replace the front you will find out what rubbish the original rear shock is...
change both front and rear!!!

I have only one problem- on hard offraod ride the rear wheel touchs the rear mud guard, if i take it off it will touch the brige on the frame...
the offset of the rear shock spring is good (i don't want to harden it more)
but it happens only on very high jumps or on very strong high speed bumps. the shock do not reach the end of it's travel.

I'm getting the Aprilia RXV450 for a few hours this week end
wonder if i'll fall in love.....

just that it's soooooo expensive here- about-21,000 u.s$
nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:07 AM   #5005
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,285
Hey, Nave, you know that this Aprilia is actually bike for few hours ;)?
I mean - to pay 21K $ and have to care about servicing sooo much - must be really worth it!

You sooooo right about rear shock. After I put WP Extremes I am constantly pis...d off with performance of stock shock :( but money are tight now. And I want basic Wilbers but with remote preload...
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:38 AM   #5006
vilguy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
vilguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Leicester & Ashby de la zouch UK
Oddometer: 282
I actually work for an aprilia dealer in my spare time and thankfully the new rxv/sxv is much improved over the last one. Its now got normal servicing (i.e oil change every couple of thousand) rather than "new engine please" every 40 hours. RAPID RAPID bike! Though far from uncontrollable. I would love one but then id have to sell my cre500 and...well that just isnt happening

I picked up the dr big on saturday (in the back of an astra ) and got it home, only to find id left the forks at his house! DOH!

So i had to drag it on my own the 30 mtrs to the garage in the pouring rain we had over here.

Ill only be putting the stock forks in for a day so i can get it mot'd then ill be putting crf forks in. I have a set of wr426 forks that have been modified to fit the xtz750 but i felt guilty about ruining the work already done to them for them to fit that bike so i have just sold them. Have some crf450 yokes lying around so when its been mentioned the bearings are the same, how about the stem length? i havent had a look at either stem yet to compare to be honest but if someones already done the hard work...

Ive also a 320mm supermoto disc conversion with adaptor set lying around from the xtz, a brand new talon front wheel ready to go in and ive purchased an 18" rear conversion from a bloke who was breaking a dr800. Also had the swingarm, brake caliper and disc so can ditch the drum brake. Just need to weld on a bracket for the master cylinder and im away
vilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:46 AM   #5007
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer
 
robmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by nave
A few months ago I have sent this list to a friend in Ireland... check it out
Mait, Nave has pretty well sumed it up, don,t forget overall gasket set and allso the valve stem seals which are not included in the set,you may not have to go the whole hog though pull it apart and have a looky see first.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:07 AM   #5008
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilguy
I actually work for an aprilia dealer in my spare time and thankfully the new rxv/sxv is much improved over the last one. Its now got normal servicing (i.e oil change every couple of thousand) rather than "new engine please" every 40 hours. RAPID RAPID bike! Though far from uncontrollable. I would love one but then id have to sell my cre500 and...well that just isnt happening

I picked up the dr big on saturday (in the back of an astra ) and got it home, only to find id left the forks at his house! DOH!

So i had to drag it on my own the 30 mtrs to the garage in the pouring rain we had over here.

Ill only be putting the stock forks in for a day so i can get it mot'd then ill be putting crf forks in. I have a set of wr426 forks that have been modified to fit the xtz750 but i felt guilty about ruining the work already done to them for them to fit that bike so i have just sold them. Have some crf450 yokes lying around so when its been mentioned the bearings are the same, how about the stem length? i havent had a look at either stem yet to compare to be honest but if someones already done the hard work...

Ive also a 320mm supermoto disc conversion with adaptor set lying around from the xtz, a brand new talon front wheel ready to go in and ive purchased an 18" rear conversion from a bloke who was breaking a dr800. Also had the swingarm, brake caliper and disc so can ditch the drum brake. Just need to weld on a bracket for the master cylinder and im away
I was just picking on Aprilia, I know RXV is way different from initial release nowadays :) but 21000$ is scary, isn't it?

I think nave can tell you everything about CRF forks, so I'll shut up on that but I am definitely envious about talon wheel....
What you will use for front brake caliper? Just curious..
And - are you doing supermoto wheels or that talon is 21"?
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:23 AM   #5009
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer
 
robmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 3,824
[quote=bluesman]Hey, Nave, you know that this Aprilia is actually bike for few hours ;)?
I mean - to pay 21K $ and have to care about servicing sooo much - must be really worth it!

You sooooo right about rear shock. After I put WP Extremes I am constantly pis...d off with performance of stock shock :( but money are tight now. And I want basic Wilbers but with remote preload...[/

I am talking motard no dirt stuff, I found my rear shock with the spring adjuster tensioner wound to only 12mm of thread left has firmed it up nice and works well for my weight.
My wp 50,s are a bit to firm.
Bluesman do you no how much oil and what the standard grade is as I may go a little lighter to soften a bit, thanks, Rob.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:32 AM   #5010
vilguy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
vilguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Leicester & Ashby de la zouch UK
Oddometer: 282
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
I was just picking on Aprilia, I know RXV is way different from initial release nowadays :) but 21000$ is scary, isn't it?

I think nave can tell you everything about CRF forks, so I'll shut up on that but I am definitely envious about talon wheel....
What you will use for front brake caliper? Just curious..
And - are you doing supermoto wheels or that talon is 21"?
yeah it is a bit pricey to be honest, but then there is some serious tech in there. Its a proper quality peice of kit. And i know i work there so im going to say that but .. it is rather lickable. Im a huge aprilia fan , ive had half a dozen! Our main business is kawasaki and suzuki but aprilias are the ones for me!

the i have 2 pairs of talons kicking about - both 21-18 sets.

these are the latest set i picked up last night. Other set are identical apart from being in gold rather than blue. Not sure what i will do with the other set but they were so cheap (£200) for the pair that i couldnt refuse.





Regarding the caliper, the 320mm brake disc makes a huge difference (it did to the xtz) but i might save up the pennies and buy a braking 4 pot caliper too. unless i can find an easy to bolt on std caliper from another bike. Something like one of the 4 pot brembos off my caponord or something. We will have to see. Im a tight wad so when i do buy stuff its got to be the right peice of kit :) i have a radial master cylinder lying in the toolbox that i never bothered to fit to anything yet so that will no doubt go on.

And i have very little money, im just an ebay hound.
vilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014