User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2005, 10:01 AM   #1
tigertom OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
05 vs 04 lc4 adventure?

I am considering a lc4 and read that the 05 has an extra oil jet at the base of the piston. I can geta 05 for a little over 8g and wanted to know is it worth it? I will be commuting on it some days, Are they fine running at 75-80mph. I think insurance and a more conservative riding will be better for me than a 950. Longevity of the thumper? Seems the trend in bikes is moreeeee power which for me is moreeee trouble. Sounds like the 640 has plenty of power and will run at freeway speeds fine . please give your inputs? Tom
tigertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:26 AM   #2
DevDel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
The bike will do it, it has the power. Maybe a 17 tooth front sproket off the Duke ( you'll need the Duke case guard also for clearance ). I can't comment on the oil jet, I haven't heard anything about changes in the '05. If it got an oil jet, I would have thought it happened in '03 when they did several other changes. Not in '05 with supposedly a replacement due next year.

I hated mine ('03) on the highway. It was a real buzzer, my SXC doesn't have rubber handle bar mounts and it's actually smoother. Just luck of the draw I guess. The low fender on the '04 & '05 should help in the crosswinds.

The only advice I can think of is this: The 640ADV really is a dirtbike, unlike say , a KLR. It will always feel like one. If you are happy with that, you'll do fine. If you are not going to do real off road riding with it at some point, you'd be better off with a 950.

Dev
DevDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 12:58 PM   #3
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,342
Are you in Europe or Canada? There were no 04 Adventures in the US and I haven't heard of any changes to the 05's other than we're supposed to get a few and they're going to be the 04 Euro spec with low front fender. Don't know about the oil jet change - I'm skeptical, but anything is possible with KTM.

On the LC4 highway issue, as the previous poster said, it's like riding a big dirt bike on the highway. I was going 80 yesterday on the freeway, and it does it fine, but it's not the right tool for the job. If you anticipate much freeway and you don't need the somewhat better dirt capabilties of the LC4, I'd get the 950 which is a vastly superior pavement bike and probably a heck of a lot more reliable and long-lived in this application.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 03:44 PM   #4
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Head Fred
The bike will do it, it has the power. Maybe a 17 tooth front sproket off the Duke ( you'll need the Duke case guard also for clearance ). I can't comment on the oil jet, I haven't heard anything about changes in the '05. If it got an oil jet, I would have thought it happened in '03 when they did several other changes. Not in '05 with supposedly a replacement due next year.

I hated mine ('03) on the highway. It was a real buzzer, my SXC doesn't have rubber handle bar mounts and it's actually smoother. Just luck of the draw I guess. The low fender on the '04 & '05 should help in the crosswinds.

The only advice I can think of is this: The 640ADV really is a dirtbike, unlike say , a KLR. It will always feel like one. If you are happy with that, you'll do fine. If you are not going to do real off road riding with it at some point, you'd be better off with a 950

Dev
You can just grind down the stock chain protector a bit and the 17T will fit right on with that simple modification with a file. Some 640/625s vibrate more at an idle and less at running speed and some are the reverse of this. If you get the former you are lucky.
My 950 was wonderful on the road (after jetting, cannisterectomy, Remus Revolution mufflers) and was a really, really big dirt bike in the nasties, but it did everything my 640 would do. If you are running on the street all the time spring for the 950 with mods and if you are doing mostly dirt get a 450 or 525 and put the lighting kit on it from E-Line (www.elineaccessories.com). Forget the 640. My 450 is much, much smoother, great on the road, absolutely stellar in the dirt and a real surprise for car drivers when you wheelie across the intersection from a start. You can put the 3.4 gal KTM tank on it and get really good mileage. It is so much fun I cannot stay off of mine. The compromises: 1) limited oil capacity (change it every 500 miles), 2) limited charging capacity (if your battery is up it will keep it up and if not, not) and 3) you have to put on the lights and brake switch to make it passable (not big deal though) and 4) the seat is really narrow for road work but just the hot ticket for the dirt and last, 5) you should change out the camshaft bearings and seals at about 90 ~ 100 hours (mine at 40 hours looked brand new). As Hal Willis, the great Triumph motorcycle engineer once said, "You pays your money and you takes your choice."
Stu
450 EXC "dual-sport"
250 EXC 2-stroke racer
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 04:16 PM   #5
tigertom OP
Gnarly Adventurer

more questions

Thanks guys, Can the 525 handle freeway speeds and is there larger fuel tanks? Does anyone have knowledge of the husquavarna 610 with the 6 speed tranny? Are they ok on the freeway. I like the way the look, the reason I was looking at the adventure was the 28l fuel tank. Is there aftermarket fuel bladders that can be used on the bikes with the 3-4 gallon tanks? All input welcome, this is the place for me to get educated. thanks, Tom
Old 01-01-2005, 04:32 PM   #6
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertom
Thanks guys, Can the 525 handle freeway speeds and is there larger fuel tanks? Does anyone have knowledge of the husquavarna 610 with the 6 speed tranny? Are they ok on the freeway. I like the way the look, the reason I was looking at the adventure was the 28l fuel tank. Is there aftermarket fuel bladders that can be used on the bikes with the 3-4 gallon tanks? All input welcome, this is the place for me to get educated. thanks, Tom
I can address the 525 but not the 610. (The '05 510 would be a better bike all the way around I would think.) You can put a 15T countershaft sprocket on the 525. You might have to file down the chain guide a bit but it will go. That would help with highway speeds. The 3.4 gallon KTM tank is about the largest and it does keep the weight of the fuel pretty low. You can get another gallon or so with the new rear number plate/gas tank that is just now available for the 450/525 (check the recent Dirt Bike & Dirt Rider magazines.) I would willingly ride my 450 up to 100 miles a day on the highway but I do not know if I would do more. I would also vary the throttle a lot and not hit it hard in the top two gears for more than just passing. If you really want to fly you would do well to consider putting the cush hub and rear wheel off the 640 on the 525. It fits right on -- you just flop it over since the chain on the 525 is on the opposite side from the 640. (Check the '05 frame/swingarm clearance since it is new. It looks to be the same as the older 525/450s, however.)
Stu
Old 01-01-2005, 05:47 PM   #7
Ian640
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I think you're right about the extra oil jet - try translating Sommer's site which gives an indication of what's new for 05.
Ian640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 07:48 PM   #8
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,342
This gentlemen keeps asking about pavement and we keep talking about modifying super-hard-core dirt bikes to make them barely tolerable for short distances on pavement. He can correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like he mostly wants a dual-purpose to ride on the street.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 08:02 PM   #9
tigertom OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Mark, I ask about freeway because I dont want to pay good money and be let down if I want to ride it to work. I am not hardcore dirt but I had a 03 tiger and it was fast but I definetly would not be comfortable in the dirt on it. I like the looks of the KTM and the fact you are getting top components. If I could kill 2 birds with the 640 adventure I would prefer too. I know the 950 is nice but it is expensive and insurance would cost more. I guees what I am trying to find out is the 640 capable of both?
Old 01-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #10
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertom
Mark, I ask about freeway because I dont want to pay good money and be let down if I want to ride it to work. I am not hardcore dirt but I had a 03 tiger and it was fast but I definetly would not be comfortable in the dirt on it. I like the looks of the KTM and the fact you are getting top components. If I could kill 2 birds with the 640 adventure I would prefer too. I know the 950 is nice but it is expensive and insurance would cost more. I guees what I am trying to find out is the 640 capable of both?
yes.
abit uncomfortable on long hauls of freeway but if it's just to work it's just as much fun as you can have knowing you're going to work.
Whats your local?
long strech of commuting?
Stop and go traffic? of flat out 80 mph all the way there?
I find that cruising 70 for longer than a few (10-15 miles) is to much like work but if itsa short hop on the freeway and around town it can be a blast.
I find I look for new ways to get to and from work just to ride it.
It's much more the urban warrior than the freeway cruiser.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 09:46 PM   #11
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
If you can, just ride the 640, I find it hard to imagine that you would be undecided even after 15 minutes on one. I expect your either going to like it or hate it. The 640 can handle just about anything you can throw at it, the question is can you. I would ride mine cross country, but then I used to do 1000 mile days on my RZ350.

IMHO, any thumper is going to have a shorter, on average engine life, then a multi in most cases, but they are still pretty robust.

I sure would not pay $8k for a bike that is going to go offroad and will depreciate just like any other bike, lot's of 2000 to 2002 ADV's have had asking prices from the high $3k's to just under $6k. You should be able to get into a used bike with some options/assy's factored in for just about half that. Not to mention if your going to D/S it, the bike will be getting beat up, so might as well get one with a few scratches to start with. The 2003 has some nice improvements, but just about any year will work fine.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:15 PM   #12
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
If you can, just ride the 640, I find it hard to imagine that you would be undecided even after 15 minutes on one. I expect your either going to like it or hate it. The 640 can handle just about anything you can throw at it, the question is can you. I would ride mine cross country, but then I used to do 1000 mile days on my RZ350.

IMHO, any thumper is going to have a shorter, on average engine life, then a multi in most cases, but they are still pretty robust.

I sure would not pay $8k for a bike that is going to go offroad and will depreciate just like any other bike, lot's of 2000 to 2002 ADV's have had asking prices from the high $3k's to just under $6k. You should be able to get into a used bike with some options/assy's factored in for just about half that. Not to mention if your going to D/S it, the bike will be getting beat up, so might as well get one with a few scratches to start with. The 2003 has some nice improvements, but just about any year will work fine.
Valid points. I would add that, having done up to 1,500 miles in 5 days mostly off road on my 640 LC4, if you are doing mostly off road the RFS 450/525 is an excellent choice as well. (Deep sand on a RFS is simply fun and on a 640 a real chore.) If you are commuting and expecting more miles the 640 is better. Used is cheaper -- but beware. I have seen good looking 640s that have had almost zero maintenance. They are expensive to repair if you need internal engine work. On the other hand, the 640 is likely one of the most durable engines ever built. I have seen very high mileage (six digit) 640s. Problems with 640s are almost non-existent. Vibration is the only complaint. That can break ground tabs on voltage regulators, etc. If I were riding around the world the 640, not the 950 and certainly not the RFS, would be my first choice. It is tough, simple and you can do all the maintenance anywhere.
Stu
Old 01-02-2005, 02:58 PM   #13
tigertom OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, Stu. I like the reputation of KTM. The 640 sounds like a good balance and I finally heard that if you maintain them you can get alot of miles out of them. The kawi does nothig for me looks wise and seems by the time you upgrade to the level of the lc4 you might as well get the KTM and the pride of owning one. Any body get over 40,000 out of them? Still looking for support not trolling.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:12 PM   #14
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,167
from another similar thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Found this recently, doesn't seem like much has changed for 05. The second oil injector is interestin' I suppose. What's this about a new ignition map? (that could be upgraded easily, just get the 05 CDI right?). new camshaft... yeah so what?!? new fork setup for anti-dive... who wants two disc brakes up front for the dirt? new brake pads eh? that is interestin' but an easy add on.

new round holes in the rear disc... none of these things are that interestin, unless you don't got one. the big changes people want are thngs like a six-speed tranny

oh wait! new indicators!!! i want one now!

========================

2005 KTM 640 LC4 Adventure

Introduction

Wherever in the world strange continents, lonely desert expanses or wild jungle trails are explored - the KTM 640 Adventure is the ultimate, single - cylinder travel motorcycle. Directly descended from successful rally racing bikes, it is characterized by its low weight, agile chassis with long suspension travel and a robust LC4 engine.

OIL CIRCUIT

Experience from racing: a second oil injection nozzle now cools the pistons from below too, making the engine even more dependable.

IGNITION

A new ignition program map provides optimized combustion. A „low octane“ program map can be activated for low-octane fuel (up to 80 octane).

VALVE TIMING

A new camshaft with quicker valve timing offers a more spontaneous progression of power and even better performance.

FORK FRONT

A new forks set-up with firmer springs reduces the forks’ plunge when the Brembo twin discs really grab.

GRAPHICS

There’s a new graphic design for all Adventure models in 2005. The KTM letters will be delineated with a silver shadow.

BRAKE REAR

In conjunction with new sintered brake pads, a new Brembo brake disc with round holes guarantees top braking performance and the highest Brembo standard.

INDICATORS

New indicators with a smaller orange glass and a longer operational life.

CHAIN

An X-ring endless chain (without a connecting link) eliminates the risk posed by the weakest link, i.e. the connecting link, which is always subject to the most wear.
# ENGINE - Single cylinder, 4-stroke engine
# DISPLACEMENT - 625 cc
# BORE / STROKE - 101 / 78 mm
# POWER OUTPUT - 40 kW / 7000 rpm
# MAX. TORQUE - 55 Nm / 5500 rpm
# COMPRESSION RATIO - 11.7:1
# STARTER - Electric starter and kickstarter
# TRANSMISSION - 5-speed, claw shifted
# CARBURETOR - Mikuni constant pressure carburetor 40 mm
# VALVE TIMING - 4 valves / OHC, roller rocker arm
# ENGINE LUBRICATION - "Forced oil lubrication with 2 Eaton pumps"
# ENGINE OIL - "Motorex Power Synt 4T 10W-50"
# PRIMARY DRIVE - 31:79
# SECONDARY DRIVE - X-Ring chain 5/8 x 1/4 "
# COOLING SYSTEM - Liquid cooled
# CLUTCH - Multi-disc wet clutch, hydraulically operated
# IGNITION - Kokusan DC-CDI
# FRAME - Double ground, chrome-moly-steel frame, powder-coated
# SUBFRAME - chrome-moly-steel, powder-coated
# HANDLEBAR - Magura aluminium, tapered
# FRONT SUSPENSION - WP-USD 48 mm
# REAR SUSPENSION - WP - Monoshock with Pro-Lever linkage
# SUSPENSION TRAVEL, FRONT/REAR - 275 / 300 mm
# FRONT BRAKE - 2 x Brembo 2-piston floating caliper, 2 x brake discs Ø 300mm
# REAR BRAKE - Brembo single-piston, floating caliper, brake disc Ø 220 mm
# RIMS, FRONT/REAR - 2.15 x 21" / 2.50 x 18"
# TYRES, FRONT/REAR - 90/90-21" ; 140/80-18"
# GEAR RATIO - 16:42
# BATTERY - 12V 8.6 Ah
# SILENCER - Stainless steel HGS 4
# STEERING HEAD ANGLE - 62.5°
# TRAIL - 124 mm
# WHEEL BASE - 1510±10mm
# GROUND CLEARANCE (UNLOADED) - 315 mm
# SEAT HEIGHT - 945 mm
# FUEL TANK CAPACITY - 25.5 litres/3.5 litre reserve
# DRY WEIGHT - approx. 158 kg

© Copyright of www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk - All Rights Reserved | Disclaimer

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 04:43 PM   #15
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oh, wait, you forgot the low 950 style front fender (and most likely cross over brake line) for mud! Just what we need here in the midwest with lots of sticky clay and muck.
Stu