Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #16
afmracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Maybe OP just doesn't realize how expensive it will be when he crashes ...

A single lowside on a new GS > a cheap trackbike.
afmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:11 AM   #17
Steffo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
Also note that for what it would cost to get a 17" wheel and track tires, you'd probably be halfway (or more) to a track bike anyway. In the US, you can probably get a well set up ninja 250 for well under $2k, and you can find 600's out there (not that I'd recommend them as a track bike--too much power for a noob) for $3k (again, USD). Even if you don't get a set up track bike, just about any cheap bike is a better idea than your BMW.
It was just an idea. Easy on the "noob" parts please. I am quite sure I can handle even a 1000cc without much difficulty on a track. Perhaps not fastest though. Thankyouverymuch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
Before you spend money on your bike, borrow one of your track buddies' bikes for a few track days and see if it's even something you want to do. You bought a GS...hopefully you'll be happier riding through the forest on it than around and around and around on pavement.
I have spent quite alot of time on smaller race tracks so there is really no need for that. I'd say around 150 hours in total or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
The F800GS is a big dirt bike. Get a F800R or some other road bike.
So you really think all the supermotos out there are just "dirt bikes"? Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmracer

..or perhaps the OP has an insurance company that actually covers track days.

This was just an idea so no idea getting "upset" guys. :)

Steffo screwed with this post 12-05-2009 at 05:34 AM
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:55 AM   #18
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
This was just an idea so no idea getting "upset" guys. :)
Well I'd like to see you do it and see the pics of you riding around the outside of sportsbikes on the really tight bits.

And if you ever want to come over to Scotland and do a trackday at Knockhill be sure to let me know.
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:57 AM   #19
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:

Get some frame guards... A lowside wont touch the bike.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:14 AM   #20
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,850
Quote:

Alright, so all these dudes taking their F800GS's offroad, down single track, creek crossings, etc, and you're trying to warn the OP about dropping the bike at the track?

Seriously, the bike was made to be ridden, if the OP wants to throw a 17 on the front and do some track time, why is everyone getting their panties in a wad. People do it on the KTM950adv and SE, and no one whines about the cost of dropping it, or tells them to buy a super duke instead. Maybe those KTMs are simply better than the beemer? Those riders less nervous nancies.

I say go for it. It will be fun.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #21
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
So you really think all the supermotos out there are just "dirt bikes"? Ok.
The F800GS is not built as a supermoto bike, so how do you get your above statement from my statement "the F800GS is a big dirt bike"?

Of course supermoto bikes are not just "dirt bikes". I never said that. But my point was that the F800GS was designed to live as a big dirt bike, not a supermoto bike. For the amount of money you throw into a the F800GS to get it supermotarded, you might as well just buy an actual whole used separate supermoto bike:

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Pro...scid=14&id=417

17" Excel front wheel
new front brake rotors for Excel wheel
supermoto tires
revised front forks to accomodate the smaller 17" wheel

You're talking thousands. Not to mention the fact that it will screw with the ABS sensor and computer. Yay.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #22
Steffo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
17" Excel front wheel
new front brake rotors for Excel wheel
supermoto tires
revised front forks to accomodate the smaller 17" wheel

You're talking thousands. Not to mention the fact that it will screw with the ABS sensor and computer. Yay.
I know a place where I can get a complete 17" front wheel, to which the stock brake rotors fit, and brake caliper adaptor for 1000 Euros but I suppose you do have a point. I would have to make something about the front suspention as well. Damn it. Why can't it ever be cheap and easy?

Old 12-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #23
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
I know a place where I can get a complete 17" front wheel, to which the stock brake rotors fit, and brake caliper adaptor for 1000 Euros but I suppose you do have a point. I would have to make something about the front suspention as well. Damn it. Why can't it ever be cheap and easy?

Shit, man. Now I feel bad! Didn't mean to burst your bubble. Just trying to be realistic for ya.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #24
CajunRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Wow... someone wants to modify their bike and people are getting upset??? What's this world coming to?!?!?!?!?!

Look... dude... bottom line... it's YOUR bike, so set it up the way YOU want it!!! Those who don't like it can suck a rotten egg cause it ain't THEIR bike!!!

Now... 21" to 17" is fairly drastic... you'll prob need to either extend the forks (EXPENSIVE) or lower the back (1/4 the price of extending the forks). Lowering the back can be done with a few new links. I'd go that route.

Now... I seen to remember (I may be wrong here) that the F800GS had an 18 inch rear wheel??? If it IS an 18 inch rear, I'd go with an 18 inch front also... it'd be a MEAN flat tracker!!!

My advice (worth as much as you've paid for it)... get some frame guards in case of a crash, and do a few track days with the 21" front. If you really enjoy it, change the front rim to the same size as the back rim, possibly with lowering links on the back to compensate.

Then get out there and enjoy YOUR bike!!!
CajunRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #25
CajunRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Oh yeah... almost forgot...

Post some picks of it when you're done!!
CajunRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #26
The Griz
North Forest Rider

The 8GS has a 17" rear wheel and doesn't use a "linkage" in the rear. To lower the rear on this bike, you'd have to get either a Hyperpro spring lowering kit, or a new rear shock with adjustable height. Elka makes an adjustable height rear shock for the F800GS now: http://www.elkasuspension.com/?q=node/45
Old 12-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #27
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,430
Go for it

Your possible lowside on a track isn't any more potentially expensive than me or others dropping the bike on a trail. As far as the POTENTIAL ABS issue goes, I'm not convinced that the computer can't compensate; it already has to deal with different rotational rates depending on the tire mix you are running (granted, it is more extreme). Besides, you wouldn't run a track day with the ABS on, anyway, would you?
If you get a 100 euro wheel, and don't like it, you can probably resell it for not too much loss, besides. And I want to see the pictures, too!

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #28
The Griz
North Forest Rider

I am positive the F800GS computer is programmed for a 17" rear wheel and a 21" front wheel. When you switch the front 21" for a much smaller 17" wheel, the smaller diameter of the wheel will in turn make it rotate considerably faster. This considerably faster spinning front wheel will confuse the ABS system. The computer in the F800GS is static, not dynamic. It doesn't "compensate", and it could be life threatening if you leave ABS on. I don't recommend it.

As an example: My buddy that has a 2007 Chevy Silverado just put larger tires on the rear and a bit smaller ones on the front to give it that "old school" look. Completely wigged out the ABS sensors, and his dashboard ABS alarm goes off constantly now. He called his Chevy dealer and they said it would be $200 to reprogram the computer to handle the tire size difference. If the far more advanced automobile computer control systems in a new Chevy can't handle a tire size change...the simple solid state computer module on the F800GS motorcycle definitely won't.

That aside, I do know that the F800GS won't dynamically handle a wheel size change.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #29
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
I am positive the F800GS computer is programmed for a 17" rear wheel and a 21" front wheel.
I'm not saying you aren't right about that, Griz. I don't know. But the list of things that you've been "positive" about here that turned out to be not so is long and legendary.

Feel free to demolish my disbelief with data.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #30
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Somewhat off topic, but has anyone converted a Wee-Strom to a 17" front wheel. That would seem to play into it's strength as a streetbike.
Rick West is offline   Reply With Quote