Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #29656
jenx
misadventurer

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by plodalong
Sounds like condensation too me. Does the "smoke" dissapear (once out in the atmosphere) or hang around? Does it smell? If it doesn't smell or hang around i would say its just water vapor from the combustion process. Poor fuel consumpsion? check what jets are in the carb. some people go way too rich thinking it will make more power (more gas = more power, right) lol
Tx plod!

The smoke does disappear once I ride. I thought it might be water vapour. Maybe I didn't rinse the air filter properly??

I'll re-clean it.

BTW ... what do you guys use to clean your filters??

Cheers

Jenx
Old 12-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #29657
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenx
what do you guys use to clean your filters??
You can buy filter cleaner, or just use petrol or turps, anything can be used as long as you wash it all out with warm soapy water after.

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:40 AM   #29658
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
We got flown out at short notice this afternoon from the gas project back to Darwin (A week early) with a cyclone warning.
There were lots of packages that have arrived over the last two weeks including two from Jeff.

Jeff is a legend,i was going to order some rotor bolts on Monday,no need he threw a set in .

Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:47 AM   #29659
Mezo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8
We got flown out at short notice this afternoon from the gas project back to Darwin (A week early) with a cyclone warning.
I saw that report on the local news Les (cyclone) so they pulled you guys off the rigs, that`s a bonus you still get paid right? there will be hundreds flying back to Perth & straight to the garage to fire up the bikes, mind you were at 40 tommorow, 37 today, to hot for riding.

Nice to see you back Les.

Mezo.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:56 AM   #29660
kuyaoli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
I guess I am invisible...
Old 12-12-2009, 06:01 AM   #29661
Mezo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyaoli
Anyone can help with this?

Hi guys, finally got my TM40 carburettor from Procycle

Unfortunately I have no idea how to get that part into the bike

I mean, of course there is a sheet which explains the steps but maybe my English is not good enough or I just don't get it.

Anyone has a detailed step by step instruction preferable with pictures which documents the installation?

That would be very very helpful.

Thanks in advance
Ya know id missed this post, was it because it was in KTM orange i wonder?

Just wait for Jeff to chime in.

Your only slightly invisible

Mezo.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #29662
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Any known weaknesses to the new DR650s? I've heard that an earlier model year had some kind of starter problems, and up until a few years back there was a problem with the cylinder base gaskets (now updated). Seems like a very solid motorcycle. The KLR650 shave their "doohickey". DRZ400s seem to have a problem with the automatic cam chain adjusters. Honda XR650Ls-some have a problem wearing out their countershafts way too early.

Jon
Birdmove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #29663
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,346
http://dr650.wikia.com/wiki/Potentia...to_be_aware_of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove
Any known weaknesses to the new DR650s? I've heard that an earlier model year had some kind of starter problems, and up until a few years back there was a problem with the cylinder base gaskets (now updated). Seems like a very solid motorcycle. The KLR650 shave their "doohickey". DRZ400s seem to have a problem with the automatic cam chain adjusters. Honda XR650Ls-some have a problem wearing out their countershafts way too early.

Jon
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #29664
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove

Jon
A big part of the reason I choose the DR over the KLR was that its issues were a matter of slow improvement, where the KLR, from where I was looking, needed improvement instantly. I was a poor college student when I bought mine several years ago, so these were concerns to me. To protect the KLR, I needed to get nerf bars instead of just a skid plate. The breaks sucked, which was something I felt would need immediate attention. The doohicky was a concern.

The DR primarily had comfort items. Seat. Bigger tank (may be necessary depending on location, I got along fine for a year with my stocker.) Mine came with a rack, so it wasn't a concern. The starter makes funny sounds on mine when cold, but still works just fine. The base gasket started leaking when I switched to semi synthetic oil. Despite the puddles I'm leaving, I'm not dropping enough to really see effects on my fill level between changes. I'm fixing it this winter. All of these deficits were things that could be fixed at my leisure, rather than spending dough on a brand new bike. That was a big consideration for me.

Also, don't forget weak sub frame on XRL.

--Heath
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #29665
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyaoli
Anyone can help with this?

Hi guys, finally got my TM40 carburettor from Procycle
Unfortunately I have no idea how to get that part into the bike
I mean, of course there is a sheet which explains the steps but maybe my English is not good enough or I just don't get it.
Anyone has a detailed step by step instruction preferable with pictures which documents the installation?
That would be very very helpful.
Thanks in advance
Hey Oliver,
The carb swap can be done without even looking at the installation notes. You have had the stock carb out of the bike for jetting right? Just remove the stock carb and cables and replace them with the new pieces.

I haven't seen anyone make a step by step installation pictorial. That is on my wish list for things to add to our web site.

There is one step that may not translate easily. On the rubber mount that holds the carb to the engine there are a couple of rubber tabs that locate the carb so it can't be installed at an angle. Those tabs will prevent the TM40 from seating fully into the rubber mount. You have to cut them off flat with a razor blade or sharp knife.

If you have specific questions about the carb installation feel free to email me directly through the www.procycle.us web site.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #29666
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Chainsaw carry on DR650

Made a wooden chainsaw bar cover from 3/4" plywood yesterday.

It took two pieces about 6" wide by 28" long. The length is determined by the chainsaw bar length. The two pieces are spaced apart by narrow strips of 1/2" plywood, glued and screwed together to make a bar cover.

This bar cover has holes drilled along one long edge to match the steel mount that was made in August. Removed the Kolpin rifle case and bolted the saw bar cover onto the bike.

The chainsaw bar is inserted into the wood sleeve, a bungie is attached to the saw to keep from bouncing out, and ready to hit the hills to open up trails and roads of wind fallen trees.

Here is a picture of the steel accessory rail attachment. Will post pictures when the wood gets painted.

Notice the melted plastic from the previous owner having saddle bags. I made the aluminum heat shields from an old patio door track, and bolted on using existing bolts. Same with the accessory rail.

Dave

smilin jack screwed with this post 12-02-2010 at 09:13 PM
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #29667
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Chainsaw carry on DR 650

OK, here's the picture of the saw on the bike.

Got the bar cover varnished today and mounted on the bike. The plywood was salvaged and don't know what the burn marks are from but used anyway.

The accessory bar mounts on the turn signal tapped hole and the passenger foot peg bolts, so can return the bike to stock configuration quickly.

Hope to go riding soon and try out some wind-fallen tree blocked trails.

Dave
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #29668
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Another accessory

Here's the Kolpin rifle case bolted on the accessory bar.

Dave
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #29669
Paloma Paul
Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer: 385
Kenda 270

I just finished installing a 270 Kenda on the rear. Boy was it a sob to get the bead to seat!!!! Any suggestions for next time on an easier way to seat a bead? AlsoI usually run 24-28 psi for tire pressure on black top, 15 in the dirt with 2 rim locks any suggestions thanxs
Paloma Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #29670
kuyaoli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle
Hey Oliver,
The carb swap can be done without even looking at the installation notes. You have had the stock carb out of the bike for jetting right? Just remove the stock carb and cables and replace them with the new pieces.

I haven't seen anyone make a step by step installation pictorial. That is on my wish list for things to add to our web site.

There is one step that may not translate easily. On the rubber mount that holds the carb to the engine there are a couple of rubber tabs that locate the carb so it can't be installed at an angle. Those tabs will prevent the TM40 from seating fully into the rubber mount. You have to cut them off flat with a razor blade or sharp knife.

If you have specific questions about the carb installation feel free to email me directly through the www.procycle.us web site.

Thanks Jeff, I guess I just have to start doing it and see what will happen. Good to know that I have to look for some rubber tabs to cut off.

If I encounter a problem I will let you know.