Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2009, 08:21 AM   #16
Glowbug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
In NC at least, the /6s and /7s are more reasonably priced, but you're still looking at more than $3k for something that doesn't need an unusual amount of attention. Not sure what the market is like out there.

I'm a short guy too, and I didn't feel uncomfortable on the airheads I've sat on :)
Glowbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:29 AM   #17
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 3,998
CLASSIC 1978 BMW R80/7 - $2500 (ATHENS)

Date: 2009-12-03, 6:44PM EST
Reply to: sale-85nzq-1493789148@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Classic 'AirHead' BMW 800cc motorcycle. This bike was built to ride across the world, but is just as good for across town. Custom Porsche 40th Anniversary Silver paint, Krauser rack and saddlebags. Vintage European bar-end turn signals, Fiamm car horns. Brake master cylinder has been update to later handlebar-mount type. Almost new Michelins. Service manual included. Givi Tank Bag and Ballistic Nylon jacket also available, but NOT INCLUDED. Email or call 706-340-7057 for details.
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

not sure if the '78 would have Nikasil cylinders

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:32 AM   #18
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 3,998
another in your neck of the woods:

BMW R80 1985 - $2500 (santa cruz)

Date: 2009-12-11, 3:11AM PST
Reply to: sale-pfnxf-1504967304@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Ready to Ride, Good condtion R80 with recent tune up with new tires and new back rim ($1000) newer battery. newer seat, newer paint. Milage 79k Has hard cases, rebuilt top end with new 100 jugs Santa Cruz BMW. This is a good looking bike. Always garaged bike is located in Pacific Grove.

Michael 831-238-6325
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
I could almost buy 4 of these for what I've got in my G/S. I think I'm going to be sick

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #19
newride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
Yep.

FWIW, I like mine. '74 /6's.

I am biased, but I think R90's are pretty sweet bikes.

Hey Crazy D D,
what tires are those?
Sorry, Highjack over.
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #20
RydinFool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Don't Do It Rhys

You sounded just like me. In the day, the only motorcycles you could ride forever without having to fix them all the time were BMW's. But, they like Harleys were way out of my price range. Now I am an old fart, I finally bought one. An R80. That led to an R60, an R75, and two other R80's. BMW (airheads) are more addicting than crack. I have reduced the flock to two R80's. One is a GS and the other is being restored as a Cafe racer. I don't know how picky you are. I like pretty, but my GS is a rider, so it's not beautiful until you get on it and start riding. My experience is short lived, I have only been doing the BMW thing for about three years, but there is a lot of support out there. Check out the BMW airhead site. It really doesn't matter what airhead you buy, there isn't anything like it. I have a bunch of bikes and love them all, but the BMW's are special. Good luck out there. Just in passing, I know where there is a R75 Toaster, (1974) that runs really sweet. Cosmetically needs a little work, but almost anything that age needs something cosmetically.
IBA #33670
Wee Strom, HD Electra Glide, KLR 650, Triumph Bonneville, 86 BMW R80 cafe racer, 1986 HD Wide Glide- the last one with a kickstart, 1987 BMW R80RT, Suzuki DR 350
RydinFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #21
IHWillys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarddog
What's the big deal about a salvage title? ...
Here in Colorado, a salvage title cannot be registered. To get a registration on a vehicle with a salvage title one has to jump through a few legal hoops as evidenced by this list:

>>>
* Fill out a Salvage Title Statement of Fact. This form requests declaration of the methods and parts used to transform the vehicle into a condition deemed acceptable to drive on Colorado roads.

* On the salvage title, sign off in the provided area attesting to the vehicle being roadworthy.

* As stated by Colorado law, the words "Rebuilt From Salvage" are required to be etched or stamped onto the vehicle in letters 1/4 inch high or larger. On most motor vehicles, the proper spot is the post to which the driver's door fastens.

* Have the vehicle inspected (fee of $20 for this service) and a Verification of Vehicle Identification Number completed by a law enforcement officer. Contact your local title and registration office for a referral(Colorado State Patrol, by appointment only with limited dates/time slots here in northern Colorado). An inspection must be less than one year old.

* Bring all of the forms, receipts for parts, and inspection approval to the title and registration office to complete the application process.
<<<

So, one can see that a salvage title is not as desirable here in Colorado. As far as convenience of getting a "real" title it is hardly any better than "no title", though no surety bond requirement is a plus.

Also, it was salvaged for a reason and that may have involved significant damage. Some damage can be laborious to determine it's presence or severity.

I want an R80ST. A tight budget meant I couldn't get one for sale in Denver this past summer, but someone got a good deal on a very nice one.

Ken
IHWillys is offline   Reply With Quote