Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2009, 10:18 AM   #16
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,708
I think I am 5'9" with a 28" or 29" inseam (not exactly sure how to check but I know i'm short .

I've got modified suspension but only the progressive springs and heavy oil so that might even raise the bike a tiny bit. I just captain morgan it at stop lights and carefully choose my stopping points on the trails. Sure I have dumped it a few times because of my reach but I take it in stride. When I am on the pegs it feels great!!

BTW I use the low seat and I just got back (12 hours ago) from a 2 day, 1000 mile trip which consisted of every type of road including 300 miles of dirt/gravel in the Ozarks! (And my ass isn't falling off lol). Look for my ride report coming as soon as I get these pics loaded
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #17
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,643
Indy, with your current stable

Current Stable:
2010 BMW F800GS

2007 Husqvarna TE610
2003 KTM 525 MXC
2003 Yamaha WR450
2002 Yamaha R1

I would venture to say that you didn't buy the 800 to go balls to the wall true off road riding! Certainly you could take it to ride Red Cone but why would you when the 525 or 610 would be a far better ride??? IMO this bike isn't meant to be thrashed like a 450! And it certainly will not take you to the same places!

There is no need to lower an 800 if you are riding 70% street 30% dirt with those occassional aggressive off road adventures. I'll take it Baja and "explore". I certainly won't ride it like I would any 450 off road machine in Baja because again in IMHO is not what the bike was meant for.
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #18
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
I would probably skip red cone on this bike but I would do webster but that would be my comfort limit on the F800GS.
The reason I added this bike to my stable is for state to state adventure riding and a future Mexico & Alaska trip. I ride the 525 out of the house to Red Cone and do 200 - 300 mile days on it. Across state I love my TE610. I can do 300 - 400 mile days on it and run around the state in a 4 day trip. However I am not comfortable asking either of those bikes to run around the western states and come home in 6 or 7 days. I plan to run the F800GS 50% dirt or more if I can and when you are a long way from home I don't want to get rejected on forest service roads because I am on a street bike with street tires. I prefer to find all dirt roads when planning my rides but no matter how much I plan you end up with a fair bit of tarmac!

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #19
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
For me the criteria for being able to take a bike off road comfortably is the ability to spin a donut so you can change directions easily when things are deteriorating. This manuever is needed going uphill, downhill, and flat. Prior to taking an inch out of the suspension I was about 70% depending on terrain - hills being easier by nature of their intrinsic bias. After lowering I can spin a donut easily anyhwere and safely and quickly turn around without looking like a dork making a ten point turn. A lower seat would not work well for me since the pegs with the standard seat are perfect for the sitting to standing transition. With the Touratech risers I am standing nearly all the time off road.I would be cramped with the low seat - I tried it.

If I had to "Captain Morgan" the bike, I would not ride it. Whatever works for you is the right answer.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #20
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
The only reason I want both feet on the ground is for loading passengers. I'm not a big guy @ 135lbs, but at 5'7" I have been blessed with a 32" inseam and even with that a passenger getting on or off my bike can pull me over.

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #21
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
For me the criteria for being able to take a bike off road comfortably is the ability to spin a donut so you can change directions easily when things are deteriorating. This manuever is needed going uphill, downhill, and flat. Prior to taking an inch out of the suspension I was about 70% depending on terrain - hills being easier by nature of their intrinsic bias. After lowering I can spin a donut easily anyhwere and safely and quickly turn around without looking like a dork making a ten point turn. A lower seat would not work well for me since the pegs with the standard seat are perfect for the sitting to standing transition. With the Touratech risers I am standing nearly all the time off road.I would be cramped with the low seat - I tried it.

If I had to "Captain Morgan" the bike, I would not ride it. Whatever works for you is the right answer.
"I would not ride it, whatever works for you" is a crappy answer. Just because some of us are short and not skilled enough to "donut" a bike around at a moments notice doesn't mean we are idiots for not lowering the bike...

Is there no benefit to an extra inch of travel in rough terrain?
Is looking like a "dork" at stop lights enough to cause you to compromise your suspension?
Is struggling to turn around on a hill enough to compromise?

I choose to ride with the crippling scenario of not being able to firmly plant both feet wherever I go because I like to know I have the suspension even if I am too much of a noob to be able to fully use it.

EDIT: Sorry tmex this is no affront on your belief and after thinking about if for a couple minutes I can see a value of turning around quickly and being comfortable when stopped. BUT seriously... what is the suspension there for if you can't use every mm of it?...

EnderTheX screwed with this post 11-29-2009 at 08:04 PM
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:22 PM   #22
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
As an agressive sportbike rider, I have always resisted the tempation to lower a bike, becasue I am unwilling to loose the cornering clearance. Muffler and pegs will ground out earlier if I were to lower it. BAd enought hat I have to replace toe sliders, let alone a muffler. I have always just toughed it out and tippy toed it. Some bikes I could only tippy one foot (94 ZX7)
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #23
BillyD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
...After lowering I can spin a donut easily anyhwere and safely and quickly turn around without looking like a dork making a ten point turn.
Better not do it in your driveway, else Ami will get mad at you!!

KTM '08 690 RFR, '08 990Adv S (carbs), '07 640Adv, '03 540EXC, Ducati 851, Moto Guzzi 850 Lemans, Ercole & 2VT and Yamaha RD350.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #24
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD
Better not do it in your driveway, else Ami will get mad at you!!
True. I am a good boy around the house. Your donut is still visible in my driveway and she gets annoyed everytime she walks by and sees it which is why I leave it there.

Many of the replies above equate lowering with compromising your suspension. Would the suspension be even better if you raise it an inch? There is nothing magic about the suspension travel other than it should be as long as possible given all the other constraints associated with the motorcycle.

All of life is a compromise. There are endless arguments on this forum over which dual sport is best for this or that - compromise, compomise, compromise,... There is no perfect motorcycle. For me, taking an inch out of the suspension is a compromise I am willing to make given how I use the motorcycle. If others think differently that is their own conclusion based on how they intend to use the motorcycle, their riding style, and their ability. All I am saying is that for some people lowering makes perfect sense, and it certainly does not ruin the motorcycle. It is completely and easily reversible. I am not advocating it as anything but a sensible option for people not comfortable with the F8 seat height. There is no reason not to be comfortable on the bike and have fun if you have a 29" inseam. Another option is to become very good and ride like a ballerina. I think having to Captain Morgan the bike is dangerous and sooner or later you will have more than a simple tip over. Just my opinion.

Jeez, if you guys are happy with it great. The OP asked if he could ride the bike with a 30" inseam. I guess there are lots of folks who are just fine with it, and maybe he will be too. At 31" and 6' I was not happy with it and I did something about it. I did not molest a child or steal from a handicapped person. Lay off already.

tmex screwed with this post 11-29-2009 at 09:48 PM
tmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #25
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,643
As I've said, it depends on what "your" definition of riding and off road means. I could care less what I look like turning a bike around. I don't need to look all spiffy in thousand dollar gear and be able to do a donut to turn around. So it will take me a few minutes to dismount turn the bike around and go back the direction I came.

I think what many people were saying here is that a 30" inseam is not a deal breaker for this bike. As long as you know what your skill level is, where you will be riding the bike and know that you will occassionally drop it then get the bike and have fun.
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #26
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,678
I find it easy enough to turn it around when it's on it's side.

Though it worked better with the 1200

Get the bike you won't be sorry.

and pay no attention to all the bickering. it's just ADVrider.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #27
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy
I find it easy enough to turn it around when it's on it's side.

Though it worked better with the 1200

Get the bike you won't be sorry.

and pay no attention to all the bickering. it's just ADVrider.
Good advice. It is a kick ass bike. You will love it.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #28
maximuski OP
Don't Follow Me I'm Lost2

Oddometer: 86
It seems this thread was an interesting one. Actually I'm so glad with all your diverse replies, this is exactly what I wanted, to hear as many different opinions as possible. In my country we use to say: "discussion is knowledge's mother"

In summary, I think it's quite clear that my 30" inseam is not a problem (at all) to go for the F800, Whichever option I choose to compensate the lack of height, such a low seat, playing with the suspensions... or a legs surgery

Thanks a lot for your replies, I plan to order the bike soon so I'd get it by next April...

Cheers!
maximuski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #29
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Once again, here's how to fix the problem.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411916
Old 12-19-2009, 07:14 AM   #30
Rodenbarr
Rodenbarr

Oddometer: 6
Wicked My solution to my 30" inseam...

A good set of crashbars and a can of black spraypaint ;)

Because with a 30" inseam and a 450lb dirtbike, you're going to tip it sometime. Take lots of pictures of it when it's new and not dinged up!

2009 BMW F800GS
2001 Husaberg F600e
Rodenbarr is offline   Reply With Quote