ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer: 974
DV snow report

Jim,

Yup from an airplane.

Extremely windy today with snow being blown hundreds of feet into the air off the newly capped Sierras.... aorund 80-100 knots at altitude.

Good news (or bad depending on your motorcycle masochism )...

This last storm must of had a higher snow level in Saline. There is still snow on the South pass, but just on the plateau. The road heading down into the Valley seemed a bit clearer than yesterday. Lipencott looked snow free as did Steel Pass.

If you're thinking about the GSA up steel pass, it can be done as TravelToad did it with his prior to picking up the "Oarnge Crush' disease. I attempted it last March and found my worn TKC's wouldn't climb past around 10 miles up. As I was trying to figure out how to levitate 550 lbs over this gravel climb, my riding partner rode up with a bent front rim. After we pounded it back into shape and put a tube in it, another rim was bent in our riding group and we headed back to the Springs. Steel pass is a slurry of giant gravel that makes it feel like riding on sand with the repurcussions of riding on rocks. I've done it in a 4x4 before, no problems, heavy 2 wheeled vehicles are a bit more of a challenge.

One word if you're going out there on the bike, be prepared for really cold weather and getting stranded.

With that said, have a great trip!
A.Vern is offline   Reply With Quote