User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Treadless OP
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,217
Need help with finding info on '62 Honda CR72 Prototype

We have been doing some research on the '62 Honda CR72 Prototype and have met with minimal success. It has a one off twin cam 4 valve engine with chain driven cams not gears like all of it's successors. The engine was stuffed into a CB72. Presumably this was done for testing to be sure the concept worked before going into "production". Allegedly Honda had a US serviceman race it for a short time while serving his tour in Japan. It disappeared after that. It was rumored that he brought it to the US when he returned from duty.

To date one photo has turned up and that being in a Japanese bike magazine.

The top bike is the prototype CR72 and the bottom bike is one of variations of the "production" race bike.

If you know of any pictures or information about this bike or know someone who knows someone.... your help would be greatly appreciated in helping piece together the history of this motorcycle.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Treadless screwed with this post 06-27-2010 at 12:33 PM
Treadless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,311
Man, good luck with that.

Anybody seen Mike's needle?

Old 01-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Treadless OP
used 2 b aventuring

I wish the needle we're looking for was even close to that size.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
305racer
Fossil Rocket Pilot

Oddometer: 472
I had heard of that bike but never seen any pictures of it. I am sure you have tried the 305 message board but if you havent check it out and find LOUDMOUSE(Ed I believe his name is),he seems to be the "go to guy" for obscure CB/CL 72-77's info. Also you may wanna try Team Hansen,Bob Hansen(RIP) was the head service guy for Honda America in the '60's IIRC he passed away a few years back but the company is still going and they may be able to point you in a direction.
Please keep us updated on what ya find I myself ride and road race CB77's and would like to know what you find.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,977
I have a friend who owns a CR72 racebike. He's mentioned a road-going prototype, and I believe he said it ended up in the US.
I'll ask him about it next time I see him.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Treadless OP
used 2 b aventuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305racer
I had heard of that bike but never seen any pictures of it. I am sure you have tried the 305 message board but if you havent check it out and find LOUDMOUSE(Ed I believe his name is),he seems to be the "go to guy" for obscure CB/CL 72-77's info. Also you may wanna try Team Hansen,Bob Hansen(RIP) was the head service guy for Honda America in the '60's IIRC he passed away a few years back but the company is still going and they may be able to point you in a direction.
Please keep us updated on what ya find I myself ride and road race CB77's and would like to know what you find.
Thanks for the info, will follow up on it.

What treasures are uncovered on this meandering path will get posted.

*edit* this is part of an edited email I received from Ron, the other part of we.

Quote:
I have worked with Team Hansen a lot over the years. I knew Bob Hanson reasonably well. Bob was one of the judges at Vintage Motorcycle Days 2005 in Ohio. He was one of the judges who voted the 57 Benly best of show.
The guy who owns Team Hansen now is Terry Naughtin. Very nice guy. He supplied me with some parts for the CB160 R project. Terry is mostly involved with building replicas of the CB450 Race bike. This was a bike that Honda never officially built because by then Honda had pulled out of racing. So instead Honda sent race parts out the back door to Team Hanson so that they could go racing and keep Honda competitive at racetracks.
Terry did not seem to know much about the CR72 road version unfortunately.

Treadless screwed with this post 01-15-2010 at 05:35 PM
Old 01-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
Treadless OP
used 2 b aventuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by caponerd
I have a friend who owns a CR72 racebike. He's mentioned a road-going prototype, and I believe he said it ended up in the US.
I'll ask him about it next time I see him.
Please do!

Old 01-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,935
crikey! This is the first I've heard of Bob's passing.

I met him at the On Any Sunday reunion movie in about 2005.

Very nice guy, very humble about his influence on motorcycling. (some give him credit for popularizing the across the frame four that's so common today)
Old 06-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
gazelle
n00b

Oddometer: 1
CR72 prototype

Mike,
The bike is currently in the hands of an excellent restorer in southern California. You can expect to see it in national vintage shows in the not too distant future. It is not mentioned in any history books, and Honda professes not to know anything about it. Engine photo here: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...29466406JUrOLX
gazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
Treadless OP
used 2 b aventuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazelle
Mike,
The bike is currently in the hands of an excellent restorer in southern California. You can expect to see it in national vintage shows in the not too distant future. It is not mentioned in any history books, and Honda professes not to know anything about it.

You know more than you are saying.

welcome to the asylum.

a couple of things
1. fill out your profile
2. fetch me a beer.
3. who the hell are you? if you know where the bike is you must know me also. a reply via pm would be fine. k, thanks.

ps: thanks for bumping this, been meaning to update it.

Treadless screwed with this post 06-26-2010 at 10:10 AM
Old 06-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
Treadless OP
used 2 b aventuring

We are still in the hunt for more of the history of the bike.

To date not much more of the history has been uncovered. There was contact (though a series of contacts) with a person who was/is involved with Honda that stated there are no records of the bike, rumors, but no records and ended with a response equivalent to "how the hell did you get your hands on it".

So we are still trolling around in the hope that someday, somehow, someone has new information.

Here are a few pics of (some of) the bike at this point.

The original frame had disappeared long ago and the frame that was used was junk.
So mods were made to adapt the proper frame to the engine as Honda had originally done.

The replacement tank also needed to altered to clear the larger head.

As the project moves along, in the hopes of keeping this troll for information alive, I will give an occasional update on the progress.

Thanks for your participation.
Mike

ps: I originally posted an incorrect model id, the cb250 came to be few years later. At the time I was not concerned about it as I was trolling for participation and any to get a response of any kind seemed except-able at the time.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
305racer
Fossil Rocket Pilot

Hold up,is this your project?
Old 06-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #13
Treadless OP
used 2 b aventuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305racer
Hold up,is this your project?

Yes and No. I don't have the honor of owning it, I just have the honor of doing repairs/fabrication. It belongs to a friend, Ron Mousouris.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #14
305racer
Fossil Rocket Pilot

Any progress?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #15
Treadless OP
used 2 b aventuring

Last weekend I stopped by to see Ron and what he was up to and what it was he had for me to do next and totally spaced on getting some pictures.

He is cleaning up the engine and starting to assemble it. The frame has had the ground coats applied and some parts have gone out for plating. Ron is very thorough and not very fast. That and having 4 Benly J's, a CB77, this bike in midrestoration and his track bikes to mess with and there is his injection molding business to run, there's also something else I've forgotten. To say he's spread a little this might be an understatement.

This coming weekend I have to pick up the CR72 tank to make mods to clear the velocity stacks and some other parts for the Benly J's so I work on getting get some pics then.