ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2005, 11:43 AM   #46
Stromski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
Cool - 17% off until the end of Feb - Here ya go Stromski
Thanks!

I know this is not the correct forum for this question, but since y'all have helped so far...

I have read that the Monokey cases are lighter duty than the Monolock. The reason I first asked about places that stock them was to compare them side by side. All I need right now is a lockable top case so I don't have to untangle my backpack from the bungee net every time I run in to a store.

The custom mounting hardware necessary for the Monolock seems an unnecessary expense. Is the Monokey and it's standard mounting plate durable enough for daily use?

I also looked at JC Whitney's $80 knock-off trunk. Has anyone seen one in real life? It seems like a Cheap Bastard solution, but if it works...

Again, I know I should be plowing through the equipment section for an answer that may already be there, but a quick thumbs up/thumbs down would be appreciated.
Stromski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:55 AM   #47
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,319
Not sure about lighter duty, but we have had the E52's for years and they have held up like a champ and don't leak. Before that we had the E460's.

They hold a lot of shit and their mounting system has been easy to install on the four bikes that I have installed them on.

I have never seen the Monolock cases, but I would pay close attention to the bracket - that can make or break them. For the F650, K'bikes and the RT's that we have had the Givi mounts have been very sturdy.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:04 PM   #48
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromski
Thanks!

I know this is not the correct forum for this question, but since y'all have helped so far...

I have read that the Monokey cases are lighter duty than the Monolock. The reason I first asked about places that stock them was to compare them side by side. All I need right now is a lockable top case so I don't have to untangle my backpack from the bungee net every time I run in to a store.
I never knew that about monokey vs monolock, I just thought monokey was the newer version. As for their toughness I have a set of E360's and now a new pair of E21's, both monokey, that have never given me any trouble and I've been completely happy with. The 360's I've had for about 4 years and 40k miles and they've always kept my stuff dry even in the crappiest of conditions. Some fading, particularly in the one used as top case but very sturdy. I once tipped over on one of them and it got a couple scrapes, but bore the weight of the bike w/ no other ill effects.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set. The last set I bought (e21) I got from cassporttouring.com for what was the best price I could find at the time.

hth.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:01 PM   #49
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
I don't have 'em- but I looked damned hard at those new cases Givi has with the additional key'd door in the top. That's a really nice bag! I'd encourage you to check those out- they look good on the Strom too. Eric at Twistedthrottle.com had them on his Strom- cool set of bags for that bike. You might check with him on pricing too~

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:20 AM   #50
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
I don't have 'em- but I looked damned hard at those new cases Givi has with the additional key'd door in the top. That's a really nice bag! I'd encourage you to check those out- they look good on the Strom too. Eric at Twistedthrottle.com had them on his Strom- cool set of bags for that bike. You might check with him on pricing too~
2ndspace has them on his wife's bike - combination lock for the second smaller door on the lid - really cool, you can open up the hatch to get in without having everything fall out - they are cool.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 05:11 AM   #51
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromski
Great stories (BTW, I have taken my bikes home in a truck, figured it would be easier for everyone involved), and a little class (perceived) warfare is always entertaining, but I have a simple question.

I am looking for hard cases for my DL650. Does anyone in Northern Virginia or the Shenandoah Valley have Givi (or similar) bags in stock? I have looked at a lot of web listings, but would like to be able to see them in person to judge the capacity vs bulk before I buy.

I went to the DC motorcycle show today, hoping that someone would have them on display, but didn't see anything. Any ideas?

they aren't in the two areas you asked about, but, you could have a nice ride down 17 Adventure BMW in Chesapeake, VA carries Givi http://www.adventurebmw.com/index.htm

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote