Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #16
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,182
Assuming you intend to stay in the U.S. it seems unlikely that you would run out of gas before finding another gas station. I think in the old days that may have been a justification for a bigger tank. Beyond that, it's been shown that getting off of the bike once in a while is good for you and actually helps you to ride longer distances. Having to stop at a gas station every couple of hundred miles gives you an excuse to stretch you legs, look the bike over and take a leak. I have the bigger tank on my R90 and it is plenty. I can't imagine sitting on that thing for the duration of eight gallons of gas. I usually burn about four gallons and I'm ready to pull in for a couple of minutes.

I thought about those Lufty side tanks too. For the price, the hassle and considering what I previously said, it really didn't seem worth it. They are novel, but I'm not so sure about them being useful. I think there's a reason why they never really caught on. Even traveling at night, many stations leave their pumps on so that oyu can use a credit card. I just can't imagine a scenario where I would run out of gas efore encountering another gas station. That is other than choosing to ignore that I am low on gas and riding on. But you can do that with aux tanks too.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:58 AM   #17
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,277
to me it isn't about making it to the next gas station, it's about being able to stop more along the way at places that aren't gas stations. i like to not be tied to gas stations for stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach
Assuming you intend to stay in the U.S. it seems unlikely that you would run out of gas before finding another gas station. I think in the old days that may have been a justification for a bigger tank. Beyond that, it's been shown that getting off of the bike once in a while is good for you and actually helps you to ride longer distances. Having to stop at a gas station every couple of hundred miles gives you an excuse to stretch you legs, look the bike over and take a leak. I have the bigger tank on my R90 and it is plenty. I can't imagine sitting on that thing for the duration of eight gallons of gas. I usually burn about four gallons and I'm ready to pull in for a couple of minutes.

I thought about those Lufty side tanks too. For the price, the hassle and considering what I previously said, it really didn't seem worth it. They are novel, but I'm not so sure about them being useful. I think there's a reason why they never really caught on. Even traveling at night, many stations leave their pumps on so that oyu can use a credit card. I just can't imagine a scenario where I would run out of gas efore encountering another gas station. That is other than choosing to ignore that I am low on gas and riding on. But you can do that with aux tanks too.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #18
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwblake
to me it isn't about making it to the next gas station, it's about being able to stop more along the way at places that aren't gas stations. i like to not be tied to gas stations for stops.
I guess my point is that even going to places that aren't gas stations, in the U.S. you will likely pass a gas station where you can take 5 minutes to fill up. To me it doesn't make sense to spend hundreds of dollars to save a few minutes. There is a point of diminishing return here. Beyond the stock large size fuel tank, you will spend a lot of money or give up a lot of cargo space for very little gain. Save your money and spend it going to places that aren't gas stations.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #19
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwblake
Exactly. Looking at it from the other side, why should we have to fill the tank every time we stop? Which is what it comes down to, on trips. If I never had to get fuel, I'd probably stop more (because there was no need to make it coincide with an efficient fuel stop) and enjoy myself more.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #20
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,745
I have used the lufty tanks on a trip south of the border and around Australia, given that you can't fill them to the brim they don't really add much to real range 3-4 litres only I seem to remember.

Going round Aussi I also had a 5 litre plastic can strapped on the rear rack for those occasions, where I felt comfortable with the extra range.

Find yourself one of the standard large tanks, that and a fuel can should see you right.

Charles
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #21
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

What will you gain? The elimination of one fuel stop maybe two? We're talking ten minutes at best. Most of the time you don't even have to get off the bike anymore to fuel up. The card goes right in the pump. For this you are willing to fork over large sums of money. We're all different. To me it seems pointless to even worry about it. To each his own. Good luck with your search, I'm going for a ride, after I stop for gas of course.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #22
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,277
i don't have the luft tanks, i have a 4 gallon fuel cell. that saves more than 10 minutes over a day of riding. it also gives me the flexibility to stop at places that aren't gas stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach
What will you gain? The elimination of one fuel stop maybe two? We're talking ten minutes at best. Most of the time you don't even have to get off the bike anymore to fuel up. The card goes right in the pump. For this you are willing to fork over large sums of money. We're all different. To me it seems pointless to even worry about it. To each his own. Good luck with your search, I'm going for a ride, after I stop for gas of course.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #23
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Fair enough
Old 01-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #24
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader
Exactly. Looking at it from the other side, why should we have to fill the tank every time we stop? Which is what it comes down to, on trips. If I never had to get fuel, I'd probably stop more (because there was no need to make it coincide with an efficient fuel stop) and enjoy myself more.
I agree with this point. Having a KLR650 with an IMS tank has really spoiled me. I can go for quite a distance before worrying about gassing up, and it opens up possibilities that don't always exist on the Airhead.

I've got an old /7 tank in the garage that has a rusted-through spot in it, and I'm considering having it repaired and enlarged at the same time. The thought of having an extra 2 gallons appeals to me.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #25
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,112
Bigger tanks are the way to go.......I found this neat old Cop tank a while back...6.2 Gallon minus the volume loss from the "tool box".......

This , by far,is my favorite tank....around 8.0 to 8.5 gallons ................ugly to some....beautiful to others.....

I messed around with the Luftmeister saddle tanks.....worked this one down to raw aluminum but decided the tiny 1 liter each quantity wasn't worth the hassle....besides it interfered with my kick starter and was a plumbing nightmare.....thing was kind of pretty after many hours of working off the rotten old (very thick) epoxy paint and polishing....

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #26
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,763
I'd love to get my hands on one of those old aftermarket big tanks, but the prices the command nowadays are prohibitive for me.

I'll gladly take the functionality over the aesthetics any day.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #27
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al
I'd love to get my hands on one of those old aftermarket big tanks, but the prices the command nowadays are prohibitive for me.

I'll gladly take the functionality over the aesthetics any day.
My budget is on a shoe string when it comes to my motorcycles.....I got real lucky and found very cheap deals buying old junk bikes with some decent restorable tanks. The bikes are then parted out to cover the initial costs and then some......

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:54 AM   #28
black knight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
nice set up bmwhacker. I have plans to put a harley tractor type seat on my R90

i have one of those tanks but for a /2, that i really don't want to weld to fit my R90SRS
VOC~HRD, 356, STOC, IBA#57415, MERA, MOA#70816, ABC#1559
black knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #29
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,745
I used a pair of Luftys back in the day on a R80, they were a nice bit of bling, good bragging rights and all that, but they did not have any real capacity (around about a gallon) and you could not fill them up to the brim as they would overflow as soon as the fuel expanded.

A 5 litre plastic can strapped to the rack was a more sensible alternative. The picture is getting the R80 ready for sale in La Paz. I had stripped all the racks and stuff off the bike, as it would be easier to sell without all the battered stuff.

My R90 has the big tank, full capacity seems to be around 22 litres, and On a recent trip I went 285 miles without refuelling. It is really the way to go and you could probably cover most of your costs selling your old small tank.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #30
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,896
Back from the dead...

In answer to a long ago question... or comment.
The single lufty tank was an option for G/S, GS and ST riders, if you wanted just one on the right side.

But in today's world a rotopax or even a marine style fuel tank would be what i would use to get more gas beyond a bigger tank.

I've seen and lusted after the monster G/S tank that was sold by Acerbies. Right up until the point I could finally afford to buy one. then it was taken off the market and the HPN version is just too spendy for my blood.

Nowadays my BMW's are short to med trip bikes so the massive fuel tanks and the range that came with them doesn't have the appeal it once did.