Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #16
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard
I think you should change your priorities just a bit more.....

1. have fun
2. don't crash (I'll explain)
3. finish
4. don't get hurt.

#2 is important, as it will help to ensure #1 and #4. Also, crashing, even low speed crashing is EXHAUSTING. Think about it. Every time you crash, you have to pick up the motorcycle and you might even have to start it.

You need an idea of what why??????

Run around the block, once or twice. When you get to your driveway, pick up your bike (you laid it on the ground before you took off) and start kicking. All that exhaustion that you're feeling, you can avoid all that by not crashing.

And of course, the mantra for old-guy racing is, "faster is slower."

Save the high-speed antics for bench racing around the campfire or in the pits, that's where us older racers are the fastest.

Tom B

noted!

hopefully by then Ill be in decent shape.... NOT good enough shape but im headed there. Im not planning on crashing, but who ever is??

and luckily the XR starts very easily when its hot!

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #17
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta

and luckily the XR starts very easily when its hot!
Er, yeah. But aftre crashing ??? I know my XR400 R was a PAAAIIIIIIINN to start after dropping it. I'd lay that thing down on the left (and right) and see just how hard it is to start hot. You may get a surprise.

And the slow is fast mantra is true. I was in a harescramble and there was some kid clearly faster than me, but he kept crashing. He passed me and I passed him back when he was on the ground, probably literally 10 times in a 2 hr race. He was DYING. I was running the pace I was capable of and fresh. Believe I stopped to pee and still beat him.

Trust me, when you get tired, that's when you get hurt. Pick a pace you can run and know you are running the clock. Nobody else. You can go only as fast as you can go, regardless of whoever else may be racing you, and how fast or slow they are.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #18
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
Er, yeah. But aftre crashing ??? I know my XR400 R was a PAAAIIIIIIINN to start after dropping it. I'd lay that thing down on the left (and right) and see just how hard it is to start hot. You may get a surprise.

And the slow is fast mantra is true.
That is the voice of experience, right there.

My 250exc would start with 1/2 a kick warm. Until you crash. Then it might take 3 or 4 to clear things out and get it to fire.

Then there is the whole kicking thing. You do not know what tired is until you pick up your bike for the umpteenth time and then, while fighting leg cramps, try to bend you leg up to the lever to kick it over.

When it doesn't start on the 1st boot, you might be fighting off tears.

Don't forget to bring plenty of bananas. Eat one right before the start, another at gas and another at the finish. Do not drink Coke or Pepsi, the caffeine will make you pee and give you leg cramps on the way home.

Tom B
Old 01-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #19
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:

And the slow is fast mantra is true. I was in a harescramble and there was some kid clearly faster than me, but he kept crashing. He passed me and I passed him back when he was on the ground, probably literally 10 times in a 2 hr race. He was DYING. I was running the pace I was capable of and fresh. Believe I stopped to pee and still beat him.

Trust me, when you get tired, that's when you get hurt. Pick a pace you can run and know you are running the clock. Nobody else. You can go only as fast as you can go, regardless of whoever else may be racing you, and how fast or slow they are.

Barry
noted and noted!

Quote:

Don't forget to bring plenty of bananas. Eat one right before the start, another at gas and another at the finish. Do not drink Coke or Pepsi, the caffeine will make you pee and give you leg cramps on the way home.

Tom B
I have to be careful with banana's -- they give me nasty headaches.... but yes I try to be pretty healthy.
Quote:
Old 01-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #20
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Quote:

Tom B
Ha!

My dad used to make me eat a banana before every moto. That was decades ago. I try and get my youngest racer son to eat banana's too, but he scoffs at the notion.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #21
Cactus Dave
Born to Argue

Oddometer: 691
I suggest a different (smaller, lighter and with e-start) bike for your first hare scramble/enduro. The XR650R is a great desert race bike - Baja 1000, Vegas to Reno, etc. It is NOT an enduro bike. They start easily when hot, and upright. If it has been on its side (and it does not have an Edelbrock carb), it is a HUGE PIA to get started. Kick, and Kick, and Kick, and Kick . . . . to clear it and get it started. And, if this is your first enduro, it will be on its side. It will exhaust you. Plus, the bike is long and tall and somewhat heavy for enduro work. If you're Scott Summers or Johnny Campbell, or Steve Hengeveld, you can make an XR650R do anything, anytime anywhere. Otherwise, it'll wear you out. I speak from experience . . . , and I'm a big XR650R fan.

If you have access to a 250, 400, or 450 with e-start, beg, borrow or steal it for your first effort. You'll have enough to concentrate on/worry about without the Big Red Pig working against you. I'd prefer you have a fun time and race often instead of having a miserable experience and swearing to never do another enduro.

All the best,

Cheers,

Dave
Cactus Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #22
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
Ha!

My dad used to make me eat a banana before every moto. That was decades ago. I try and get my youngest racer son to eat banana's too, but he scoffs at the notion.
I used to scoff also. Brianna made me start after I cramped up after a race so bad that I could not drive and we sat on the side of the road for 20 minutes waiting for the cramps to subside.

My race day eating goes something like this:
before the race
drink 1/2 gallon of OJ before race
eat at least 1 banana, sometimes more
a couple of ham and cheese sammiches or a couple cans of mixed fruit in heavy syrup

at gas
another sammich and a banana or a can of mixed tropical fruit in heavy syrup
chug at least a quart of water (and refill the empty camelback)

at the finish
take off hot, sweaty gear
sit and drink a quart of water or OJ
another banana
a sandwich or 2

NO POP

It seems counter-intuitive, but when you get home, take a brisk walk around the block. It will make Monday morning much better.

On Monday, drink plenty of water and go for a brisk walk or 2. You want to keep your muscles from getting too tight. The more active you are, the less you will stiffen up.

Tom B
Old 01-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #23
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
And of course, the mantra for old-guy racing is, "faster is slower."
Strange but True

I always said Slower is Faster (backwards from barnyard but I think its the same point being made)

Every race I would always try to go slow and take it easy the first lap then speed it up after that

Weirdest thing is, my first lap was almost always the fastest

Just go out there and have fun, take it easy(don't crash) just tell yourself your gonna finish the race
( do this and you'll finish a little bit behind mid pack)

Don't try to prove anything to anyone but you in your first race

Again GOOD LUCK !!! Have fun
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #24
gilbrock
Official Subaru Fan Boy

Oddometer: 56
You don't need another bike - Run what ya brung! Run your first race with what you have and if you like racing, you'll be able to upgrade later. Who knows, you may hate it or be satisfied by racing once or twice, which, in those cases, you won't be out anything but a few entry fees.

However, I'm certain that the first 30 seconds of racing will blow you away so much that you'll be hooked for life!

www.tommygunrally.com
gilbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #25
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,232
Quote:
When it doesn't start on the 1st boot, you might be fighting off tears.
hahahah.... I have that t-shirt!!!

Worst one evar was my 560 SMR when I had a very minor problem. In 95 degree heat, full leathers, in a practice session, it died. I kicked, kicked, and was ready to go to the ER.

Friends had a trailer with A/C, or I'd have probably gone.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #26
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Pasta - You can see from our posts that we are in your court. Go out there and run a few and have a heck of a good time trying. We want you to share the same thrill we had back in the day. There are few greater experiences then trying to race a motorcycle.

I wonder why that is?

-Pantah
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #27
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Quote:
hahahah.... I have that t-shirt!!!
Bench racing with the Vet and older classes is way more fun than with those younger whipper-snappers.

Tom B
Old 01-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #28
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Dave
I suggest a different (smaller, lighter and with e-start) bike for your first hare scramble/enduro. The XR650R is a great desert race bike - Baja 1000, Vegas to Reno, etc. It is NOT an enduro bike. They start easily when hot, and upright. If it has been on its side (and it does not have an Edelbrock carb), it is a HUGE PIA to get started. Kick, and Kick, and Kick, and Kick . . . . to clear it and get it started. And, if this is your first enduro, it will be on its side. It will exhaust you. Plus, the bike is long and tall and somewhat heavy for enduro work. If you're Scott Summers or Johnny Campbell, or Steve Hengeveld, you can make an XR650R do anything, anytime anywhere. Otherwise, it'll wear you out. I speak from experience . . . , and I'm a big XR650R fan.

If you have access to a 250, 400, or 450 with e-start, beg, borrow or steal it for your first effort.

Dave
In my wildest dreams I will NEVER been Hengeveld, or Cambell!! HOWEVER..... I can ride a similar bike!

which i Know is wrong for this event, but its what Ive got and what I feel comfortable on. we'll see how bad it is....

thanks for all the advice guys - on the food as well.... I need to know these things!

Quote:
Old 01-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #29
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

....picked up some knee protection today.... and was VERY tempted to buy those $350 leathers on sale there at Cycle Gear!

trying to keep it leaned into the dirt...
Quote:
Old 01-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #30
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,448
You go and have fun it is a true run what you brung and enjoy the ride
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote