User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
drifter dave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Temples, Tires and Tyrants: 75 days to C.A. and back.

Well it all began back around 1997. My friend Carl found a diving operation in a place called Belize. It was for sale for 30k US. Where the hell is Belize? I was intrigued. We never bought the dive shop (I was 21 and barely had money for gas), but it did kick off a long-term fascination with the country.

The 2nd largest Barrier reef in the world, Jungle rivers, mountains, waterfalls, a cultural melting pot. A stable political scenario due to former British rule and they spoke English to boot!

I had to check it out. My dream evolved from a simple backpacking trip into an overland journey. I should take a bike - the ultimate form of transport in the 3rd world. No schedules, no timetables, fewer access limitations and greater speed!

The problem, as for most folks, was breaking away from work. I had a cozy union gig that would disappear with a puff of smoke if I were to leave long term. So I waited... even went back to school and changed careers. But the dream never escaped me. Time went by, and my friends and family were, I'm sure, sick of hearing about my Belize adventure. I realized that if I did not go now, I would never go. I had to will it to happen.

So with some carefully cultivated support from my work and my amazing new wife and to the bewilderment of my friends, I started to accumulate gear, shots, maps and paperwork. I sold my great DR350 and bought my 3rd KLR. Around this time, my best and longest friend Jason said something along the lines of "That sounds like something I'd like to do too". I somewhat doubted that would happen, but after he took a rider course, got his license, bought an 04 KLR and started gearing up, I knew he was in.

So off we went, 75 days, over 17,000kms and not just to Belize, but across the continental US, both coasts of Mexico and through Guatemala. It was on.

drifter dave screwed with this post 01-23-2010 at 06:43 PM
drifter dave is offline   Reply With Quote